The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 245  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL Thread
PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2021 2:41 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Mickey wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
Mickey wrote:
I mean, do I think it's possible a professional athlete is a toxic abusive piece of shit? Yes of course. In a certain respect I assume they all are. But even if this is true, the timing is suspect.

This is exactly where I was at with this, which is why I brought it up.

There's other aspects too--the allegation comes from his former coach, a noted Putin supporter, and the claim is not that he got in a bar fight exactly or beat on his girlfriend, but that he just attacked a random woman at a bar in Latvia, and that the cops came but dismissed everything when Panarin bribed them. Which, possible! But also exactly the kind of story that could never be traced, never followed up on. It seems overly convenient.

I was basically in a bit of a personal panic mode until I got to the point where I saw how long ago the incident had occurred and that it was being brought up now by a very pro-Putin coach. It started to feel like bullshit at that point, but I was worried that I thought that because it's what I wanted to believe. If it is all bullshit, I hope he doesn't find himself away from the game for long, for multiple reasons.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2021 2:45 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Yeah it's hard because professional athletes routinely get away with gendered violence but also Putin routinely murders his critics so.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2021 2:59 am 

Mickey wrote:
Yeah it's hard because professional athletes routinely get away with gendered violence but also Putin routinely murders his critics so.

Yes to all of this. If any number of world leaders had been mentioned instead of Putin, I'd probably have very little hope for Panarin right now.

PostPosted: Tue February 23, 2021 3:23 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Stardog Champion wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Yes to all of this. If any number of world leaders had been mentioned instead of Putin, I'd probably have very little hope for Panarin right now.

Panarin's family is in danger, guys. This is not over unless he poses for pictures with Putin and says sorry and goes to jail with Navalny.

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2021 5:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

Mickey wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Mickey wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Dev wrote:
Unreal win by the Sens.

I have a feeling they're going to pay for that win tonight.

I dunno. We are have pretty unmatchable energy. Would have made the playoffs if not for our trash start.

They were never going to be anywhere close to the playoffs because, despite that unmatched energy, they also have an unmatched lack of talent.

They're putting together a great future, there's no doubt about that, but they're pretty easily the worst team in the league this year despite an amazing comeback win the other day.

Really? Zero doubt about that?

Correct... there's no doubt that they have a lot of good young talent in the organization.

And you're convinced it's going to stay there?!?

Of course not! I would never be sure of that with a normal team let alone one owned by Melnyk. That's why I said they're currently putting it together, not that it's going to work out.

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2021 5:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Okay then we do agree lol.

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2021 5:51 pm 
Future Drummer

I think the playoffs are going to be pretty amazing this year. Not really knowing how teams match up in the semis and finals is intriguing as hell. Same for each division playing pretty unique styles and paces.

Central: probably the best hockey being played now. The team that makes it out of the Central division (Florida, Tampa, Carolina) is going to be scary.

North: Do they know what two way play and sound defensive hockey is. It also provides the Leafs with their best opportunity to win the cup with the easiest first two rounds they'll ever face. That's not a knock on Winnipeg but they just don't seem to be fully clicking this year. I am just not sure they will have faced enough stiff competition all season to be ready to play at the same level as Boston or Washington is semis.

East: Love the style but possibly a bit too slow of pace come the semis. I love the Bruins but outside of Washington I am not sure they will have faced enough really tough competition to go all the way. My money is probably on Washington. They just seem to play a brand of hockey now that transitions to the playoffs very well.

West: The top teams (Vegas and St Louis) play exciting, fast hockey. Much like the East, a two team show. I'd love to see Vegas make it out and meet Florida or Tampa in the finals.

My dream finals would be Vegas versus Washington with Fleury winning the cup and then going to the Kraken.

PostPosted: Thu February 25, 2021 6:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I really wanted Tampa-Vegas last year for the finals, would still love to see that match-up. But Florida and Carolina are playing scary good hockey right now.

PostPosted: Sat February 27, 2021 1:34 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I didn't expect this ugliness, but I didn't think the Bruins were as strong as they started out.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 3:19 am 

Tough week to be a goalie against the Devils. Ullmark goes down last week, and now Shesterkin follows him this week. Looked really bad for Shesterkin too. He was in considerable pain and needed a lot of help just to get up and then off the ice.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 3:35 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Stardog Champion wrote:
Tough week to be a goalie against the Devils. Ullmark goes down last week, and now Shesterkin follows him this week. Looked really bad for Shesterkin too. He was in considerable pain and needed a lot of help just to get up and then off the ice.

Did they run him? Early in the season (when they played the Bs a bunch) it seemed like they were deliberately crashing the net.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 10:44 am 

elliseamos wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:

Did they run him? Early in the season (when they played the Bs a bunch) it seemed like they were deliberately crashing the net.

No, it was just a situation where Shesterkin was coming back across the net and ended up collapsing. It was hard to even speculate where the injury was. Groin? Knee? Considering how much pain he was in from a non-contact injury, it wouldn't be surprising if he's out for a significant amount of time, if not the year. I hope I'm wrong on that.

PostPosted: Fri March 05, 2021 11:04 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Stardog Champion wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:

No, it was just a situation where Shesterkin was coming back across the net and ended up collapsing. It was hard to even speculate where the injury was. Groin? Knee? Considering how much pain he was in from a non-contact injury, it wouldn't be surprising if he's out for a significant amount of time, if not the year. I hope I'm wrong on that.
got it thanks

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 2:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Wilson's a shithead.

I'm really impressed with the Bs in these two games against the Caps. I did not expect 3 points.

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 10:01 pm 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
Wilson's a shithead.

I'm really impressed with the Bs in these two games against the Caps. I did not expect 3 points.

Wilson has an in-person hearing which means the league is looking at five games or more. I think ten would be right for a repeat offender like Wilson.

I hope Cassidy gets serious consideration for coach of the year. What he’s done with a revamped and now injury depleted defence is impressive.

PostPosted: Sat March 06, 2021 11:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

My extended family are all Caps fans and the knots they twist themselves in to defend Wilson are really incredible. He's gotten a few punishments where the repeat offender tag turned a cleanish hit dirty but it's kind of amazing that he's still unwilling or unable to change his game.

PostPosted: Sun March 07, 2021 1:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Mickey wrote:
My extended family are all Caps fans and the knots they twist themselves in to defend Wilson are really incredible. He's gotten a few punishments where the repeat offender tag turned a cleanish hit dirty but it's kind of amazing that he's still unwilling or unable to change his game.

As a Marchand fan, I can understand the leeway one might offer "their guy" but at a certain point you say enoughs enough and stop waiting for the guy to change. I've been pleasantly surprised by Marchand the last 2 years. His shift change in the finals game 7 against St. Louis might be the most offensive thing he's ever done.

PostPosted: Sun March 07, 2021 5:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

7 games is good. Feels light, but it makes sense given the nature of the play.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 9:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Panarin back practicing with the Rangers and the NHL declined to open an investigation. Looks like everyone decided it was a bogus report.

PostPosted: Wed March 10, 2021 10:52 pm 

Mickey wrote:
Panarin back practicing with the Rangers and the NHL declined to open an investigation. Looks like everyone decided it was a bogus report.

Completely missed this update somehow. Thanks for the heads-up. Good news all around.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 212, 213, 214, 215, 216, 217, 218 ... 245  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports