Switch to full style
Discuss your hatred for the Yankees here.
Post a reply

Re: The Running Thread

Wed October 04, 2017 1:42 pm

10 days to half marathon. Just trying to avoid sickness/injury at this point. Two people at work are sick and my kid has croup plus a cold. Almost rolled my ankle walking across the yard this morning. I feel like I'm living in a Final Destination movie.

Wed October 04, 2017 2:39 pm

What's your taper like?

Wed October 04, 2017 2:58 pm

run2death wrote:What's your taper like?

It's kind of weird. I'm actually going to end up with more miles this week than last week because last week the plan called for a 10K race instead of a long run. And then my longest run (12 miles) is this Sunday, six days before the race. I don't know how typical that is but it seems kind of close. Other than that, the week of the race I only have a handful of 2-4 mile runs plus a couple of rest days to recover, so it should be fine.

Thu October 05, 2017 3:23 pm

guestT wrote:

It's kind of weird. I'm actually going to end up with more miles this week than last week because last week the plan called for a 10K race instead of a long run. And then my longest run (12 miles) is this Sunday, six days before the race. I don't know how typical that is but it seems kind of close. Other than that, the week of the race I only have a handful of 2-4 mile runs plus a couple of rest days to recover, so it should be fine.

I did short speed workouts (essentially max effort 5Ks) three days before my half marathons last year and that really got my legs ready for the turnover require for the results I wanted.

It's goes against the common adage of "save your legs" on race week, but it worked for me.

Thu October 05, 2017 7:08 pm

run2death wrote:
guestT wrote:

I did short speed workouts (essentially max effort 5Ks) three days before my half marathons last year and that really got my legs ready for the turnover require for the results I wanted.

It's goes against the common adage of "save your legs" on race week, but it worked for me.

My plan (a Higdon plan) calls for two rest days before the race. Hopefully I don't regret this, but I'm probably gonna reduce that...by two. :lol: Because a) it assumes the race will be on a Sunday (it's on a Sat), and b) my first run after a rest always feels like shit. So my week will look like Sun-12 easy, Mon-rest, Tues-4 easy, Wed-4 race pace, Thu-2 easy, Fri-1 or 2 easy, Sat-race.

Sat October 07, 2017 9:05 pm

I ran today and did 6.5 in 39 minutes. This includes a 5 minute water break at the halfway.

Sat October 07, 2017 11:58 pm

First run in 6 days this morning. Felt great.

Mon October 09, 2017 1:40 pm

Tried Gu yesterday. Didn't puke or diarrhea myself. Success.

Mon October 09, 2017 4:29 pm

hmmm. I could run right now...

Mon October 09, 2017 8:27 pm

I shaved off 2 minutes today. Best run in a long time.

Mon October 09, 2017 8:57 pm

One of these days ill run again. Im sick of running on the treadmill and running outside kills my bad hip. And also fuck eelvation.

Whatever, its almost ski season. Ski up ski down.

Tue October 10, 2017 1:59 pm

Ran smack into a big ol' pointy tree branch this morning. 1/8th of an inch to the left and it probably pops my eye out, but I lived to run another day with nary a scrape.

Tue October 10, 2017 6:46 pm

guestT wrote:Ran smack into a big ol' pointy tree branch this morning. 1/8th of an inch to the left and it probably pops my eye out, but I lived to run another day with nary a scrape.

I have a scar just beyond my eye lid from doing this when I was less than 10.

Sat October 14, 2017 9:48 pm

6.5 km in just over 34 minutes. I'd say I'm back in the game.

Mon October 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Good ol' patellar tendonitis is flaring up. Arg.

Mon October 16, 2017 8:14 pm

Running in a 5k next weekend. Haven't had a good run in probably a year. I'm going to try to run two miles tonight.

Tue October 17, 2017 2:43 pm

last night I got down to 33.5 minutes.

Thu October 19, 2017 1:45 pm

Kinda nice to be taking it easy this week. Might not even hit 15 miles.

Sun October 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Set a new Half Marathon PR. April (first ever): 2:15. Today: 2:10.

Sun October 22, 2017 9:06 pm

B wrote:Set a new Half Marathon PR. April (first ever): 2:15. Today: 2:10.

Good work!
Post a reply