Switch to full style
Discuss your hatred for the Yankees here.
Post a reply

Re: The Running Thread

Thu September 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Feeling solid right now. Sticking with ~70% effort on my canal runs. Wanted to crush it yesterday, but managed to reign it in. Today's tempo was fairly easy. Coming out of summer in decent shape feels weird. I'm used to needing to drop 15 lbs. and running 8s for a months or so.

Sun September 10, 2017 5:02 pm

what is the best entry level exercise watch?

Sun September 10, 2017 5:30 pm

I love my Garmin 230.

https://smile.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerun ... redirect=1

Mon September 11, 2017 7:53 pm

run2death wrote:Bought another pair of Adios 3s and a pair of Takumi Sens from the Adadas store today.

They are gonna go to 80% off next weekend.

Bought another pair of Takumi Sens. This time for $35.

Tue September 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Dev wrote:what is the best entry level exercise watch?

Overall I'm happy with my Fitbit Charge 2. The dashboard is interactive and the watch display is easy to read while I'm running. I'd probably get something like a Garmin if I had it to do over again, only for the added bonus of GPS. I hate having to Bluetooth sync with my phone every time I run.

Tue September 12, 2017 4:58 pm

Yeah, I'm sure the Charge 2 is nice. But, to me, GPS is a must for a running watch.

And the Garmin 230 is only ~$40 more expensive than the Charge 2.

Tue September 12, 2017 5:10 pm

run2death wrote:to me, GPS is a must for a running watch.

Learned this on my first run with the Charge 2. Everything else is great about the FItbit, though. I particularly like the daily dietary and H20 logging, though I bet the Garmin does that too.

Second best thing to a GPS watch? This belt. Phone fits so snugly on my hip that I don't even think about it.

Tue September 12, 2017 5:13 pm

I have a TomTom Runner Music ($150). I love the GPS but the music player functionality sucks. If I could go back and do it again I would either spend less and not worry about music, or spend a little more and get something that can measure heart rate and all that jazz.

Tue September 12, 2017 6:12 pm

washing machine wrote:Second best thing to a GPS watch? This belt. Phone fits so snugly on my hip that I don't even think about it.

My running belt has to be waterproof. I sweat like a pigfucker.

Tue September 12, 2017 6:16 pm

Speaking of that, I blew out the whole row of treadmills at the gym last night with my sweat. There was smoke billowing from the front of my TM. It's actually the second time I've done that.

I just jump on a TM on the row behind me.

You'd think they'd make the damn things sweatproof.

Wed September 13, 2017 1:43 pm

anyone using strava premium? worth it?

Wed September 13, 2017 1:55 pm

I use it. The analysis I get after a run is easy to geek out on and the weekly and segment goal feature keeps me disciplined. There's a live performance feature too, but I find that distracting. Most people probably love having it. Does that help?

Wed September 13, 2017 2:25 pm

washing machine wrote:I use it. The analysis I get after a run is easy to geek out on and the weekly and segment goal feature keeps me disciplined. There's a live performance feature too, but I find that distracting. Most people probably love having it. Does that help?

Yeah, definitely. I might give it a try. It's looking like I'm gonna do marathons in the spring and fall next year, so if nothing else it would be another thing to keep training interesting.

Wed September 13, 2017 4:18 pm

I had premium for 6 months and found myself not really using the extra features.

Also, a pro runner from Flagstaff just took one of my Strava CRs. :/

Wed September 13, 2017 5:12 pm

I'll jog over there and get it back for you, '2death.

Thu September 14, 2017 4:18 pm

My legs are fucked today. Yesterday's repeats were beyond my current abilities.

Thu September 14, 2017 4:48 pm

run2death wrote:My legs are fucked today. Yesterday's repeats were beyond my current abilities.

Those times were nuts. I'd have to be running down the side of a building to move that fast.

Fri September 15, 2017 3:45 pm

74 degrees this morning. :shock:

Sun September 17, 2017 1:36 am

Well boners, I'm sitting alone in a Best Western in St.Charles, Illinois. Even if I didn't have a marathon I'm not prepared for tomorrow, I'd feel like hanging myself.

I had a mostly sensible dinner of talapia, veg, and mash at a sit-down restaurant, also alone. That was a new experience for me. Make the Best Western experience look pretty good by comparison. I've been drinking whiskey and eating candy corn since because I'm an asshole.

I have decided to wear a light brace on my left knee since my goal at this point is survival, not speed. According to my hand-written notes I have run approximately 731 miles since I signed up on the last day of April - 209 in May, 197 in June, 94 in July, 184 in August, and 47 over the past two weeks. I have no idea what to expect. The temps look okay, but I think the humidity will be a factor.

Anyway, fuck you Verb! I will try to remember to turn strava on. I'm bib 702.

Sun September 17, 2017 2:04 am

Good luck, brother.
Post a reply