The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 463  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:38 pm 
Gone

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
daft twat wrote:
*watches as two men antagonize each other into the best shape of their lives

Did a 2 easy, 2 threshold, 2 easy run yesterday. One concern I have is that I'm not running enough quality miles. This week, for example, I'm doing 44, but aside from the 2 threshold miles I just mentioned, it's only 2 marathon pace miles at the end of my long run and 4 marathon pace miles tomorrow, so just 8 for the week.

Also, I am still running my easy miles a bit too fast - between 8:05 and 8:15. According to Jack Daniels, I should be around 8:30. I can't bring myself to that, and I know it's negatively affecting the quality miles. Chime in with any sage advice R2D.

Catch a sinus infection

It fucking sucks.

yeah but it might slow him down

Dev is already slow

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 1:55 pm 
Saw some deer on my run this morning, munching on some leaves. That was nice.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:09 pm 
Gone

Somehow I feel worse than I did on Monday. Got the chills and a slight fever now. Running through this shit seemed to just make it worse.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:56 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
Somehow I feel worse than I did on Monday. Got the chills and a slight fever now. Running through this shit seemed to just make it worse.

Bahaha push through it, bitch.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:13 pm 
Pizza Ranch will do that to you.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Almost a best time today.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

Made my 44 mile goal last week. 6 of those miles around marathon pace and 2 at threshold, so just under 20% of my miles were quality.

Got new Brooks Glycerines on Friday. Super soft and comfortable, but that toe box is massive. My right big toe is like a bull in a China shop. Probably should have stuck with Saucony Triumphs.

48 is the goal this week. Did 15 today - miles 11, 12, 13, and 15 at MP (huge hill in 14 and didn't want to wreck myself). I will try for 10 more quality miles this week, preferably on Wednesday and Friday.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:16 pm 
Gone

With 16 weeks to go how high do you expect your mileage to go? 48 already seems like a lot.

I'm finally over my illness. Had a nice 30 min run at an elevated pace today. This week was light. Planning on ramping things up this week.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:18 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I had a good time today. Pouring rain too.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 11:23 pm 
Gone

Dev wrote:

You ran in the rain?

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:15 am 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
With 16 weeks to go how high do you expect your mileage to go? 48 already seems like a lot.

I'm finally over my illness. Had a nice 30 min run at an elevated pace today. This week was light. Planning on ramping things up this week.

Well, the plan is to add 4 miles a week until I hit 80, but it's unlikely I'll get there. My family will go on a two week road trip at some point in July. Also, I think 60 is the most I've ever done. That said, with each passing week, the additional mileage is a smaller percent of my overall mileage.

Right now, this is my plan: Sunday is my long run. I will not ever go past 20. I'm at 15 now and will probably stay there for a couple more weeks. What will change is my number of marathon pace miles. I did 4 this week, so I'll attempt 5 next week, and they will always be in the second half so I learn to run tired. On Tuesday or Wednesday I'll have my hardest workout of the week. Speed work. Threshold miles, Intervals, Yasso 800s, etc. These will be long days, too (around 13 miles) Fridays will be about marathon pace miles. I will add a mile a week (last week was 4) until I lose form or just get exhausted. Looking to have Saturday as my off day and the other days as straight easy miles (a minute to a minute and a half off marathon oace) with some strides at the ends of the runs if I'm feeling good.

Verb, find a plan to stick to. Despite what our friend Dev says, you sound like you're in pretty solid shape. Search "Hal Higdon Intermediate," print it off, stick it to the fridge, and go for it. Of course, listen to your body and back off when you need to.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:34 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Thanks for having us to your dinner party

Last edited by The Argonaut on Fri June 14, 2019 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:11 am 
Gone

The Argonaut wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Dev wrote:

You ran in the rain?

Get ready to be called a pussy

I've ran in light rain before but outside of a race I would never want to run in a steady rain. I already seem to get sick enough. Crazy ass Canadians...

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:15 am 
Gone

daft twat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

Verb, find a plan to stick to. Despite what our friend Dev says, you sound like you're in pretty solid shape. Search "Hal Higdon Intermediate," print it off, stick it to the fridge, and go for it. Of course, listen to your body and back off when you need to.

I tore one out of runners world last year. It's still on the fridge. Seems more beginners lever however and even when I was working off of it last year I would sneak in a few more miles here and there. This thing had like three rest days some weeks. I'll Google the guy you suggested, thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:30 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Dev wrote:

You ran in the rain?

Get ready to be called a pussy

I've ran in light rain before but outside of a race I would never want to run in a steady rain. I already seem to get sick enough. Crazy ass Canadians...

You are one massive pussy.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:41 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

This is the difference between me and Verb. My level of determination is next level. Maybe Verb is better trained now, but I have the ability to push past him, because I can dig deep, and kick it up a gear to a level that he could never match.

It was raining on and off all day. When I left it was just spitting, but I knew it could hit me, because it had been so sporadic all day. Did that stop me? No. I went and the storm anhilated me. And I dug deep and got it on with that storm. Because I am next level, bro.

When I get back it's a ritual to walk the block, and then sit on the steps, and drink a cup of water, and just chew the scenery, because I live in Canada and it's fuckin' beautiful. Today it was still pouring when I got back. and I was starting to shiver, but I just thought nah fuck it, and stopped shivering. I'm not joking about this, either. I actively went from shivering to just kicking back. Then I chilled out there in the pouring rain like it was any other fuckin' day. Later on today I felt a bit fluish, but it's not a serious flu, and I'm coping with it, and it's not making any difference in how I live my life. There are a thousand excuses to puss out, but sometimes you gotta man up. I was born to run. Nothing is gonna stop me from that. Unfortunately for Verb I don't think he can compete like me, but I still think he is doing a stand-up job given his limitations.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:46 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

R2D, I need you to help me train. Right now I run 4 miles/6.5 km in 34-36 minutes. It's fairly hilly where I am. I run every second day for about 3 or 4 runs until things start to hurt. And then I rest for maybe 2-3 days so my injuries can heal. I twisted my ankle last summer so I am always working on rehabilitating it. I just want to get better. Running is very dope. I just want a realistic goal.

I'd love to get faster. Like if I could run the 6.5 in in 30 minutes that would be rad. But also if I could do 10km at my current pace that would be rad too. I am not sure if I should pick one of these goals or maybe I can work to both at the same time. Just tell me what you think I should do, if you still have time for that.

Last edited by Dev on Mon May 29, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:28 pm 
Gone

6 miles in 48 minutes today. Really stiff wind and picked a course with a lot of hills, but I channeled my inner Dev and got through it. I even sat on my front step for a bit when I got home.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 6:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
6 miles in 48 minutes today. Really stiff wind and picked a course with a lot of hills, but I channeled my inner Dev and got through it. I even sat on my front step for a bit when I got home.

Nice.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dev wrote:
R2D, I need you to help me train. Right now I run 4 miles/6.5 km in 34-36 minutes. It's fairly hilly where I am. I run every second day for about 3 or 4 runs until things start to hurt. And then I rest for maybe 2-3 days so my injuries can heal. I twisted my ankle last summer so I am always working on rehabilitating it. I just want to get better. Running is very dope. I just want a realistic goal.

I'd love to get faster. Like if I could run the 6.5 in in 30 minutes that would be rad. But also if I could do 10km at my current pace that would be rad too. I am not sure if I should pick one of these goals or maybe I can work to both at the same time. Just tell me what you think I should do, if you still have time for that.

Dev, I'm no R2D, but I read a lot and coach high school cross country. I only got into running 6 or 7 years ago. 4 miles, or 6.5k, in 30 minutes is the milestone I still vividly remember. I had to practically sprint the last 1/2k to do it, but it felt amazing.

I can't say about your injury, but I trust you're wearing great shoes. You might also consider buying a pair of compression socks that go right up your calf for added support. They're great, but getting them on is a workout.

From what you've posted, it sounds like you're pretty much doing the same run every time you go out. 2 things will make you faster: more miles and running faster. You should start doing hour long runs 3 times a week. Just go slower than your normal pace - like a minute and a half slower. At the end of them, do sets of 20 seconds sprints with 2 minutes of easy jogging between. Start with a couple and build up to 5. Long runs increase the reach of your blood artery capillaries, which deliver oxygen. Basically your body just becomes more efficient at getting rid of waste products.Then once a week you want to do some speed work. Maybe you go out for an easy mile, but then the next two are run as fast as you can maintain for 2 miles. Or you can find a track and do some 800 repeats. Or road fartleks - this is just interval running, but random. You run normally but then decide to haul ass to a road sign 100 yards ahead. Or you go easy because you see a hill coming up, and you push up it as hard as you can. Have a rest day after your speed workout. You need to challenge your body and throw it off it's game. It's already good at the 6.5k at the pace you typically run. It's comfortable and not growing. Finally, you don't need so much rest. If the injury is that bad, get to an ortho and get it sorted. Otherwise, at the very least, cross train hard so you're making cardiovascular improvements. Running 5 days a week shouldn't be an issue, though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 ... 463  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports