The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5970 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 299  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 4:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
verb_to_trust wrote:
washing machine wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
washing machine wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
I've had a few pairs of Kinvaras over the years.

Was it tough on your calves and ankles after running on Bostons?


I wouldn't want to be in them for longer distances but it's a shoe with a solid reputation and is affordable.

How long is "longer distances?"


I'd wear them up to 10k distance but the 4mm drop would annoy me anything longer than that.

:thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 5:10 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
does running backward have any effect on the durability of running shoes?

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 5:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
I only went a mile today but it was enough to give me the best morning feeling. Gorgeous day. Felt like crap for the first two minutes then I passed another runner, got that friendly wave, then floated on for the rest of the jog. I love running.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 7:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
washing machine wrote:
I only went a mile today but it was enough to give me the best morning feeling. Gorgeous day. Felt like crap for the first two minutes then I passed another runner, got that friendly wave, then floated on for the rest of the jog. I love running.

did it take you a long time to develop that love, or was it rather immediate?

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 8:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I only went a mile today but it was enough to give me the best morning feeling. Gorgeous day. Felt like crap for the first two minutes then I passed another runner, got that friendly wave, then floated on for the rest of the jog. I love running.

did it take you a long time to develop that love, or was it rather immediate?

Took a very long time, but this thread was key to it. I did a half marathon a decade ago, but looking back, I don't think I loved running back then. I never think about that race or the training leading up to it when I think of my best runs. Realistic goals and a flexible routine help a ton. In fact, I would say that I didn't really love running until last summer. For the first time in my adult life I had no job, no immediate plans, and nowhere to be but home. Running became so much less work because my only real goal was just getting out there before the family woke up and claiming a small chunk of the day.

I'll also add that I participated in a pretty influential to me virtual race type thing. A beloved runner in the online community fell ill and a pledge run was held for his bills. I got really, really into that and really saw firsthand how much of a community the running world can be, even if just online or on Strava. I loved being a small part of it and it gave my runs a deeper meaning. Now I see it when another runner waves or we share stories here and it helps with that love of the sport.


Last edited by washing machine on Sat January 16, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 8:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
washing machine wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I only went a mile today but it was enough to give me the best morning feeling. Gorgeous day. Felt like crap for the first two minutes then I passed another runner, got that friendly wave, then floated on for the rest of the jog. I love running.

did it take you a long time to develop that love, or was it rather immediate?

Took a very long time, but this thread was key to it. I did a half marathon a decade ago, but looking back, I don't think I loved running back then. I never think about that race or the training leading up to it when I think of my best runs. Realistic goals and a flexible routine help a ton. In fact, I would say that I didn't really love running until last summer. For the first time in my adult life I had no job, no immediate plans, and nowhere to be but home. Running became so much less work because my only real goal was just getting out there before the family woke up and claiming a small chunk of the day.

i get that...i definitely don't love it, but i want to challenge myself and accomplish something so means to an end i suppose...i don't go out and try to beat my previous pace each time, but it's in the back of my mind

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 8:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I only went a mile today but it was enough to give me the best morning feeling. Gorgeous day. Felt like crap for the first two minutes then I passed another runner, got that friendly wave, then floated on for the rest of the jog. I love running.

did it take you a long time to develop that love, or was it rather immediate?

Took a very long time, but this thread was key to it. I did a half marathon a decade ago, but looking back, I don't think I loved running back then. I never think about that race or the training leading up to it when I think of my best runs. Realistic goals and a flexible routine help a ton. In fact, I would say that I didn't really love running until last summer. For the first time in my adult life I had no job, no immediate plans, and nowhere to be but home. Running became so much less work because my only real goal was just getting out there before the family woke up and claiming a small chunk of the day.

i get that...i definitely don't love it, but i want to challenge myself and accomplish something so means to an end i suppose...i don't go out and try to beat my previous pace each time, but it's in the back of my mind

https://anchor.fm/believe-in-the-run/ep ... ing-enb6kh

Coach Bennett has a lot to say about this. Push yourself by all means, but above all, enjoy the run.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
washing machine wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I only went a mile today but it was enough to give me the best morning feeling. Gorgeous day. Felt like crap for the first two minutes then I passed another runner, got that friendly wave, then floated on for the rest of the jog. I love running.

did it take you a long time to develop that love, or was it rather immediate?

Took a very long time, but this thread was key to it. I did a half marathon a decade ago, but looking back, I don't think I loved running back then. I never think about that race or the training leading up to it when I think of my best runs. Realistic goals and a flexible routine help a ton. In fact, I would say that I didn't really love running until last summer. For the first time in my adult life I had no job, no immediate plans, and nowhere to be but home. Running became so much less work because my only real goal was just getting out there before the family woke up and claiming a small chunk of the day.

i get that...i definitely don't love it, but i want to challenge myself and accomplish something so means to an end i suppose...i don't go out and try to beat my previous pace each time, but it's in the back of my mind

https://anchor.fm/believe-in-the-run/ep ... ing-enb6kh

Coach Bennett has a lot to say about this. Push yourself by all means, but above all, enjoy the run.

before i signed up for a 5k i got in the routine of just going and doing what i could do in an hour...then i just focused on the 5k pace, and definitely improved as i went...that was mid novemberish, and since then i haven't done much at all so now i'm just trying to get back out there when it's not dark or shivering cold...but i do think about the pace too much

i can't imagine doing a half marathon though...did you have to walk much?

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat January 16, 2021 9:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I only went a mile today but it was enough to give me the best morning feeling. Gorgeous day. Felt like crap for the first two minutes then I passed another runner, got that friendly wave, then floated on for the rest of the jog. I love running.

did it take you a long time to develop that love, or was it rather immediate?

Took a very long time, but this thread was key to it. I did a half marathon a decade ago, but looking back, I don't think I loved running back then. I never think about that race or the training leading up to it when I think of my best runs. Realistic goals and a flexible routine help a ton. In fact, I would say that I didn't really love running until last summer. For the first time in my adult life I had no job, no immediate plans, and nowhere to be but home. Running became so much less work because my only real goal was just getting out there before the family woke up and claiming a small chunk of the day.

i get that...i definitely don't love it, but i want to challenge myself and accomplish something so means to an end i suppose...i don't go out and try to beat my previous pace each time, but it's in the back of my mind

https://anchor.fm/believe-in-the-run/ep ... ing-enb6kh

Coach Bennett has a lot to say about this. Push yourself by all means, but above all, enjoy the run.

before i signed up for a 5k i got in the routine of just going and doing what i could do in an hour...then i just focused on the 5k pace, and definitely improved as i went...that was mid novemberish, and since then i haven't done much at all so now i'm just trying to get back out there when it's not dark or shivering cold...but i do think about the pace too much

i can't imagine doing a half marathon though...did you have to walk much?

Not too much until about halfway thru. It was in Vegas and started and ended on the Strip, four miles long each way. I was surprised at how much the energy of the mass of people, the cheers, and the Vegas lights propelled me. Off the strip and thru the seedier downtown and Fremont Street portions were definitely rough goings though. That's where all the walking happened.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 5:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
Got two easy miles in before sunrise. Saw three people in the park, max. Always feels like I know some secret no one else knows by getting out there before the world wakes up.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 6:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
nice

i was going to jog either yesterday or today, but my body for some reason doesn’t feel like it’s right to jog right now

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 6:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
Two things always worth listening to: your body and your mama.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 6:41 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Posts: 1336
Location: northwest midwest
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
nice

i was going to jog either yesterday or today, but my body for some reason doesn’t feel like it’s right to jog right now


Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
:haha:

I think Goggins is so ridiculous but I also read his tweets every morning for inspiration. What a personality.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 6:52 pm 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 14, 2020 5:06 pm
Posts: 1336
Location: northwest midwest
He'll be president someday. MAKE AMERICA HARD AGAIN.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 7:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
Taking the souls of motherfuckers in every battle for these once strong United States...of the mind.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 7:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
washing machine wrote:
Two things always worth listening to: your body and your mama.

now i have a headache and feel like i could fall asleep at any minute...thanks brain/mom

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
i don’t like him and i hate that we share a name

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18381
Location: Space City
What don't you like about him?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2021 8:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 72536
washing machine wrote:
What don't you like about him?

he comes off like a grade-a dingleberry

_________________
Dev wrote:
I was abused by mods


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5970 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 277, 278, 279, 280, 281, 282, 283 ... 299  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed April 21, 2021 1:52 am