The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 461  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Wed December 20, 2017 7:27 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

guestT wrote:
washing machine wrote:
guestT wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Need motivation to run again. Also, need upper body workouts that I can do around the house. I shed all this weight and lowered my heart rate for the wedding and want to keep it up but it's the dang holidays now. The bike ain't cutting it.

I have a very basic at-home bodyweight routine that I follow: 50 push-ups, 50 crunches, and 5 minutes of various planks and stretches before bed every night. Takes about 10 minutes total, usually while watching TV. I also keep a resistance band in the bathroom and do a couple dozen curls and flies before I shower. It's not gonna get me ripped or anything but my core feels pretty solid.

Weren't you doing couch to 5K at one point? Maybe sign up for a race and try that again?

:thumbsup:

Signing up for a race is a great idea. Several coming up in January and February. Not sure I need to regress to couch to 5k routine. I remember the first couple of weeks being very, very slow. I do need that structure again, though.

Do you use weights at all? I'm thinking of investing in those little 3 and 5 pounders you saw in everyone's living room in the 80's.

I don't do anything with weights. I just have a mental block or something when it comes to any kind of weightlifting. I don't even like walking through that area of the gym. :haha: I've thought about getting one of those "power tower" things for the garage or basement so I can do pullups, dips, etc.

I distinguish between weights and WEIGHTS.

These are weights.

THESE are for meatheads.

PostPosted: Wed December 20, 2017 8:06 pm 
washing machine wrote:
guestT wrote:
washing machine wrote:
guestT wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Need motivation to run again. Also, need upper body workouts that I can do around the house. I shed all this weight and lowered my heart rate for the wedding and want to keep it up but it's the dang holidays now. The bike ain't cutting it.

I have a very basic at-home bodyweight routine that I follow: 50 push-ups, 50 crunches, and 5 minutes of various planks and stretches before bed every night. Takes about 10 minutes total, usually while watching TV. I also keep a resistance band in the bathroom and do a couple dozen curls and flies before I shower. It's not gonna get me ripped or anything but my core feels pretty solid.

Weren't you doing couch to 5K at one point? Maybe sign up for a race and try that again?

:thumbsup:

Signing up for a race is a great idea. Several coming up in January and February. Not sure I need to regress to couch to 5k routine. I remember the first couple of weeks being very, very slow. I do need that structure again, though.

Do you use weights at all? I'm thinking of investing in those little 3 and 5 pounders you saw in everyone's living room in the 80's.

I don't do anything with weights. I just have a mental block or something when it comes to any kind of weightlifting. I don't even like walking through that area of the gym. :haha: I've thought about getting one of those "power tower" things for the garage or basement so I can do pullups, dips, etc.

I distinguish between weights and WEIGHTS.

These are weights.

THESE are for meatheads.

:haha:

Personally I'd go with a nice set of resistance bands. I'd just end up stubbing my toes on those things.

PostPosted: Wed December 20, 2017 8:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'll look into it. Thanks

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 2:15 am 
Gone

Really hoping I didn't fracture my kneecap tonight

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 3:32 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Oh shit. Hoping for the best, verb.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 4:02 am 
Gone

I was running in a state park after dark tonight that is basically abandoned this time of year. I've been running without corrected vision since I went to glasses a few months back due to an eye irritation. It's not big deal at all but it can be a little tricky in the dark. Anyway, I ran head on into a barricade that was set up on a road that loops through the camp grounds. It felt like I was hit by a truck. Shoulder, hip, quad and hand all got banged up but the worst was my left knee cap. It must have hit the pavement square. I got back to my car at a 7:40 pace but it's swollen up pretty bad right now.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 2:27 pm 
Shit! That sucks. Might want to consider using a headlamp if you don't already. I bought one after almost skewering my eyeball on a tree branch.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 3:47 pm 
Gone

My future wife told me the same thing about the head lamp. Only with derogatory adjectives.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 6:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

if your visibility is that bad you just straight up shouldnt be running in those conditions. jesus, verb.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 7:10 pm 
Gone

I hate this time of year. Its dark by 4:30. I know the path well and there was literally not a soul in the park but me. I even knew the barricades would be up soon, if not already. I thought I had passed them already and just didn't spot them. Hopefully it's not a big deal and I'm back after taking the holidays off.

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 4:40 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Registering for the Rodeo Run 10k in February. I ran a half marathon six years ago and I've run the 5k version of this race a couple of times. Never done a 10k. I'm pretty sure I can couch to this in two months. Maybe keep the momentum going for another half or even full by the end of 2018?

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 12:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

If you get a headlamp, make sure you get a nice one. You really wanna spend at least $50 on it. I'd go with Black Diamond, Petzl or Nathan.

I'd also suggest a "mixed beam" one. I was running in the dark a lot last year and would get really bad "tunnel vision" from the cheap one I had, to the point where I'd get sick to my stomach.

This is the one I have now: https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/ ... d-headlamp

It's awesome.

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 12:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

Still planning on running a marathon at the end of February, but my motivation is horseshit right now. I can't see myself getting up at 4:30 consistently for the next couple of months to put the work in that I'll need for a 2:50 marathon, so I may BQ the February marathon, then shoot for 2:50 in a late Spring/early Summer mary.

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 4:10 pm 
Gone

Got x rays done. Negative. Guess it's just a bruise. I will probably take at least the next two weeks off though I'm still swollen up pretty bad. Any ideas on maintaining some level of fitness while I am down?

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 4:11 pm 
Gone

run2death wrote:
Still planning on running a marathon at the end of February, but my motivation is horseshit right now. I can't see myself getting up at 4:30 consistently for the next couple of months to put the work in that I'll need for a 2:50 marathon, so I may BQ the February marathon, then shoot for 2:50 in a late Spring/early Summer mary.

Go to Maine and do mount desert island with me on my honeymoon in October. It will be so romantic.

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 4:24 pm 
re: headlamps. I see a lot of runners recommending the "Sprinter" model, but I've been happy with the Black Diamond Cosmo. Quite a bit cheaper than the Sprinter, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Cosmo-Headlamp-Aluminum/dp/B06WP4QBYB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513959511&sr=8-2&keywords=black+diamond+cosmo+headlamp+2017

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 4:36 pm 
Gone

Thanks for the headlamp tips.

PostPosted: Sun December 24, 2017 2:07 am 
Rank This Poster

Feeling pretty good about my running. Always forget how much easier it is to run in the cold.

PostPosted: Sun December 24, 2017 2:19 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

guestT wrote:
re: headlamps. I see a lot of runners recommending the "Sprinter" model, but I've been happy with the Black Diamond Cosmo. Quite a bit cheaper than the Sprinter, too.

https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Cosmo-Headlamp-Aluminum/dp/B06WP4QBYB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1513959511&sr=8-2&keywords=black+diamond+cosmo+headlamp+2017

there are better ways of coping with daddy issues

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun December 24, 2017 7:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I went for a run stoned last night and my form was just so much better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9213 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 ... 461  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports