The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 462  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 12:12 am 
Rank This Poster

10 on the treadmill tonight without a yelp from my hammy!

PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 1:19 am 
Gone

The Boston Boost Gods have blessed you!!

PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 5:36 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I was surprised to see r2d wearing the same shoes as me. and then verb wears them too. those are rm's best two runners... i don't think the shoes are that good though. I probably won't buy another pair. I'll wear these out and then I'll probably run in adios 3s again or maybe try something new.

PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 12:20 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

run2death wrote:
Peeps, will you be able to run that lunchtime work route in the winter?

depends on how warm i dress. our winters are either no snow but cold or 10 feet of snow and ice every other day

PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 9:11 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dev wrote:
I was surprised to see r2d wearing the same shoes as me. and then verb wears them too. those are rm's best two runners... i don't think the shoes are that good though. I probably won't buy another pair. I'll wear these out and then I'll probably run in adios 3s again or maybe try something new.

Whoa! Verb may be well on his way, but guestT just completed a marathon last month. I’d say he’s the current #2.

PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 11:06 pm 
Gone

daft twat wrote:
Dev wrote:

Whoa! Verb may be well on his way, but guestT just completed a marathon last month. I’d say he’s the current #2.

Agree

PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 11:07 pm 
Gone

Dev wrote:

I like the 7s better than the 6s you and R2D are wearing fwiw.

PostPosted: Tue July 31, 2018 11:27 pm 
Thanks, twat. Verb's gonna obliterate my time at his current pace tho.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 4:37 am 
Rank This Poster

guestT wrote:
Thanks, twat. Verb's gonna obliterate my time at his current pace tho.

Look, you’ve crushed it. I live an hour directly west of you. I know the difficulty of training in this climate. You should be proud. You and I need to do the Twin Cities marathon in 2019. I need someone to motivate me to get back into this seriously. I hate to admit it, but my BQ time not really being a BQ time crushed me.

And Verb is going to crush his first marathon. I’m excited to see the results.

Ps. I’m terrible at giving kudos. I never did Facebook. It just isn’t my thing, but I am absolutely admiring everyone’s work on Strava.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 2:18 pm 
Gone

You've been a big inspiration to me Tim. Don't sell yourself short.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 2:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Hey! How am I in first?

Technically, my last marathon was 5:23.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 2:42 pm 
Aw thanks dudes. Twat, TCM might be doable next year. I was kinda thinking of doing Whistlestop in Ashland (mid-Oct), but after doing the half two years in a row I might be Whistlestopped-out.

Ramping up the 50K training now using Bryon Powell's 50K on 50 MPW plan...might actually have a shot at the top of the leaderboard this week.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 2:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

127 degrees at Badwater this year

Quote:
DEATH VALLEY, CA – On July 23-25, ninety-nine of the world’s toughest long-distance runners participated in the legendary Badwater 135. Even by Death Valley’s standards, this year’s ultramarathon was hot.

The annual summer race is widely recognized as “the world’s toughest foot race.” Extreme athletes from 22 countries and 22 American states faced off in a grueling 135-mile non-stop run from Death Valley National Park to Whitney Portal, CA in scorching temperatures.

With the hottest start line temperatures yet recorded (118⁰F), the racers began at Badwater in Death Valley National Park in three waves at 8:00pm, 9:30pm, and 11:00pm on Monday, July 23. It remained over 110⁰F through much of the first night of the race, eventually dropping to 95⁰F just before the sun came up and temperatures climbed up to 127⁰F.

With that brutal first night behind them, many runners struggled to meet the first time cut-off at mile 50.5, located approximately halfway up Towne Pass. Beaten down by the heat all night, which was also unusually humid, many were forced to stop to cool off in their support vehicles and were experiencing stomach issues and more.

As the new day began, the racers were climbing the 17-mile-long, 5,000-foot ascent of Towne Pass, as temperatures climbed to 127⁰F, setting a Death Valley temperature record for the date. The 135-mile race route includes three mountain ascents (Towne Pass, Father Crowley, and Whitney Portal), totaling 14,600 feet of elevation gain.

Twenty-two of 32 women and 47 of 67 men finished the race and earned an honorary belt buckle. This year’s winner, Michele Graglia, finished in 24:51 hours. The fastest woman was Brenda Guajardo, finishing in 28:23 hours. Sixty-two-year-old Pamela Chapman-Markle set a record in the women’s 60+ age group for the third year in a row with a time of 34:30.

Thirty of the 99 competitors were not able to finish the race this year, the lowest completion rate in the 41-year history of the event. This high “did not finish” (DNF) rate was likely due to the unusually high temperatures.

The vast majority of those who withdrew were veterans of the race and yet they still succumbed to the challenges of the course and the conditions. Notable “DNFers” included 2015 and 2016 champion Pete Kostelnick and 20-time finisher and four-time champion Marshall Ulrich.

“I’ve never seen such an astonishing number of withdrawals from the race. It was heartbreaking to see these incredible gladiators forced to withdraw from the race due to time cut-offs or because they succumbed to the incredible challenge of the race course and the extra brutal weather unleashed by Mother Nature,” commented Race Director Chris Kostman, who has helmed the race since 2000. “Of course, this race is widely known as ‘the world’s toughest foot race’ and the athletes intentionally come to Death Valley to compete during the hottest part of the year. They, and their personal support teams which leapfrog along the course to provide aid to the runners, know what they signed up for and they relish the challenge, even if they meet with DNF. In fact, seeing so many incredible athletes having to withdraw only underscores how fortunate and life-changing it is to actually finish the Badwater 135,” he continued.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 3:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

verb_to_trust wrote:
daft twat wrote:
Dev wrote:

Agree

word

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 4:48 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

coworker: so you are going to run that 5k that benefits humanity?
me: have you met me? let humanity burn

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 5:45 pm 
Gone

5ks annoy me. I prefer to toil in solitude.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 5:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

exactly

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 8:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

Nice work this morning, guestT.

You guys are all getting faster!

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 8:15 pm 
Thanks. I've been dogging it a bit since Grandma's but it's time to start pushing myself again. Didn't hurt that it was cool and cloudy this morning.

PostPosted: Wed August 01, 2018 8:16 pm 
127 degrees, wtf. I don't know how people exist in that climate let alone race.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138 ... 462  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports