The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 462  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 3:51 pm 
Rank This Poster

Signed-up for the Xterra series this morning. Five 20K trail races from October to March. Should be fun.

Guess I'll add some core work back into my training in hopes of bettering my footwork on technical stuff.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 3:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

Great run on the TM last night. Was tempted to run the full 10 miles at HMP, but held back. First run in the NB Minimus Trail 10 Version 4. They felt like coming home.

Hitting a trail tonight, then runs on the Mogollon Rim this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 5:23 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I remain jealous of your running locales, minus the treadmill.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 5:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Time for me to start upping...something. I get closer and closer to wanting to enter a race, but I'm not there yet mentally.

I'm running 2.5-3 miles at a time right now on a strict routine of running 3:30 and walking 0:45. Not sure if I should lower my walk ratio, raise my run ratio, or keep it all where it is but stay out there longer. I suppose my goal at the moment is hit 4 miles during a running session with minimal walking.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:15 pm 
Bite the bullet and sign up for a 5K or something similar. It'll give you something to work toward and, if you follow a training plan, will help you gradually increase the run:walk ratio. There's your advice from a guy who's been running for 5 months. :lol:

Bought a bunch of gear this week. A Nathan hydration backpack thingy that I probably won't need until I start marathon training next summer, but was going for like 60% off on Woot so I couldn't resist. And a Flipbelt for my phone, keys, ID and shit.

PostPosted: Thu August 17, 2017 6:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I love my new belt. First time since high school that I've felt free of any baggage while running.

I'm looking at 5ks. Lot of them out there. Most seem gimmicky and sort of far into the suburbs, but probably a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sat August 19, 2017 2:36 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I just finished a killer run. Left straight from the bar I work at which is just across the freeway from Toyota Center, Minute Maid Park and Discovery Green. Only upped my routine by one interval, but knowing that the run was going to be longer seemed to make me fly.

J. Cole concert at Toyota, some acrobatic show happening in the street at Discovery Green, and Astros game hitting the middle innings. Ran through it all and the crowds energized the hell out of me. Plus I already had endorphins going from handling the happy hour crowd at the bar.

I'm definitely eyeing a race next year. Forgot how much I love running in crowds.

PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 7:37 pm 
Gone

Felt decent today. Mild case of pf is starting to subside.

Still don't know why Dev and Daft Twat won't join our group...

PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 10:07 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Every so often I'll run with headphones. Today was supposed to be kind of a bullshit run since I only had .8 left on my Strava weekly goal and I ate and drank like a monster last night. Heavy instrumental doom helped keep me into a run I really didn't want to be in.

Turned out to be a decent run by the numbers, but I felt like garbage the whole time after putting so much beer and buffalo wings in my body.

PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 10:42 pm 
Gone

I eat garbage every single weekend. I know it's wrong and my times would improve greatly if I didn't, but I can't help it

PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 10:46 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

verb_to_trust wrote:
I eat garbage every single weekend. I know it's wrong and my times would improve greatly if I didn't, but I can't help it

Oh, I definitely do it often too. My FIL's last night in the country for two months so we were especially gluttonous. Beers throughout the Astros/Texans/Cowboys games on tv, nachos and wings, more beers during shuffleboard, fiancee getting off work and suggesting shots for all of us...

Good times.

PostPosted: Sun August 20, 2017 10:47 pm 
Gone

Wings are the worst. They are about 100 calories a pop but you can put away dozens under the right circumstances.

PostPosted: Mon August 21, 2017 6:11 pm 
Rank This Poster

All things considered, feeling pretty good about coming out of summer hibernation this year.

Last year at this time, I was 180 lbs. and over 20% body fat. This year, 160 and 12%.

PostPosted: Wed August 23, 2017 12:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
Felt decent today. Mild case of pf is starting to subside.

Still don't know why Dev and Daft Twat won't join our group...

I've been avoiding the thread. What's the link again?

I've really been struggling with signing up for a marathon and then giving up on it. As the cc season approached (started last week) it really started to gnaw at me. I was going to be talking to kids about being mentally tough and committing to goals and I'd be thinking of my own failure every time.

So basically, I've spent the last month making sure I am getting 30 to 40 miles a week. Virtually no speed work at all. Not great, but enough to complete this thing. For me, I know I'll be able to do it if I can get a 20 mile run in. I tried two weekends ago, and my left IT band brought me to a halt at 15. Last weekend I wore a sleeve and I did it. I think my pace was 8:24. It was humid and I climbed 1100 feet during the run, but still, that's a minute slower than my marathon pace last October.

That said, unless I seriously hurt myself. I'm going to run this thing in mid-September. My rounded marathon times in the order that I ran them are 3:37, 3:18, 3:52, and 3:14. My adjusted goal for my fat ass at this race is to finish faster than 3:37. We'll see. I'll try for another 20 this Sunday and then slightly taper, though with such little weekly mileage, it won't feel too different.

PostPosted: Wed August 23, 2017 1:53 pm 
Join the Strava group and you'll be carried along on the wings of Kudos.

PostPosted: Wed August 23, 2017 5:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

guestT wrote:

Ok. Did that. I don't see how to link it to run keeper. I'd like to export my info from there. Do I need run keeper go for that or am I missing the way to do it?

PostPosted: Wed August 23, 2017 6:14 pm 
daft twat wrote:
guestT wrote:

Ok. Did that. I don't see how to link it to run keeper. I'd like to export my info from there. Do I need run keeper go for that or am I missing the way to do it?

edit: bad info.

Not sure if Runkeeper and Strava sync directly with each other. Might need to use a 3rd service like Tapiriik to connect them.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 1:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I've been cheating on my running schedule this week with a new bike. Going to miss my mileage goal by a large margin, I think. I'll get a run in tonight (weather permitting.)

guestT wrote:
daft twat wrote:
guestT wrote:

edit: bad info.

Not sure if Runkeeper and Strava sync directly with each other. Might need to use a 3rd service like Tapiriik to connect them.

You don't need a third party. Go to RunKeeper and export the GPX file at the bottom right of your activity feed. Strava has an easy upload feature.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 2:31 pm 
Running hungover with a belly full of BBQ was not super fun.

PostPosted: Thu August 31, 2017 2:12 pm 
Logged 112 miles in August, all outdoors. PB was ~90, I think. :shock: On to September: at least two races, and the meat of my HM training.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92 ... 462  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports