The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 463  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Sat October 08, 2016 9:59 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

daft twat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Final borough series race tomorrow: The Staten Island Half Marathon. Super excited to be done with the cycle. I've basically been in training for a year now because of this series. Looking forward to some cutback. Also, I feel like shit. I'd hoped to PR Staten Island but that ain't gonna happen now. Whatever. Hopefully, I don't die. That's really the only goal at this point. :lol:

Good luck, dct! I'm in a similar boat. Ran with my team during cc season from mid-Aug to early November last year. 2 days after the season I started training for a June marathon. It was hot and humid and I was 30 minutes slower than the previous year. I immediately signed up for the Twin Cities marathon and it's tomorrow morning. Temps looks to be in the mid-30s. This fucking state. There is a sweet spot between 72 and 35. Doesn't it know? Regardless, I plan on killing it tomorrow.

Go get it, my friend! You're gonna do great! :bammer:

PostPosted: Sun October 09, 2016 7:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
daft twat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Final borough series race tomorrow: The Staten Island Half Marathon. Super excited to be done with the cycle. I've basically been in training for a year now because of this series. Looking forward to some cutback. Also, I feel like shit. I'd hoped to PR Staten Island but that ain't gonna happen now. Whatever. Hopefully, I don't die. That's really the only goal at this point. :lol:

Good luck, dct! I'm in a similar boat. Ran with my team during cc season from mid-Aug to early November last year. 2 days after the season I started training for a June marathon. It was hot and humid and I was 30 minutes slower than the previous year. I immediately signed up for the Twin Cities marathon and it's tomorrow morning. Temps looks to be in the mid-30s. This fucking state. There is a sweet spot between 72 and 35. Doesn't it know? Regardless, I plan on killing it tomorrow.

I'll be 40 before the next Boston Marathon, so I needed 3:15 today. Got 3:14:10. Unfortunately, you have to run an average of 2:30 faster than your qualifying time, so I won't be able to get in even though I qualified. I'm still happy regardless. I wish T2B still posted here. He was really encouraging and that helped.

So how did your race go, dct?

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 2:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

daft twat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
daft twat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I'll be 40 before the next Boston Marathon, so I needed 3:15 today. Got 3:14:10. Unfortunately, you have to run an average of 2:30 faster than your qualifying time, so I won't be able to get in even though I qualified. I'm still happy regardless. I wish T2B still posted here. He was really encouraging and that helped.

Christ! That's a great fucking time, man! Good work. I can't even imagine. I don't really like that 2:30 rule, though. That's shitty.

My race sucked. Cold. Rain. Wind. Brutal. My cold really got to me and I was only on about 5 hours of sleep. But I finished. I ran the whole thing and I still got a better time than I expected given my condition and the conditions of the course. So it wasn't a complete disaster. But I'm so glad it's over.

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 5:50 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Do you dudes think it is best to pace yourself so you don't need to break, or push and break lots. I'm in the latter camp. Plus I'm extraordinarily bad at pacing.

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 6:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Dev wrote:
Do you dudes think it is best to pace yourself so you don't need to break, or push and break lots. I'm in the latter camp. Plus I'm extraordinarily bad at pacing.

there are different theories out there

are you looking to build speed or endurance would be the best way to answer. doing HIIT has its merits. it gets your heart pumping faster therefore burning more calories. a longer pace helps you build your cardio for extended periods of time

on strictly cardio days i hit the treadmill for an hour

i go first 5 minutes as a warm up and start out at 3mph at increase .1mph till i am at 3.5. then i go every two minutes again raising it .1mph until i hit 4, then snake back down. I also keep the incline at 7.5%
the next cardio day i do the same warm up but stay at 3.5 without further increase and increase the incline from 7.5 to 10%

PostPosted: Sat October 15, 2016 8:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I don't like taking breaks at all during runs. Sometimes I'll keep a slower pace. Sometimes I'll do speed intervals. But I try not to rest or stop at all. Even when I was marathon training, if I stopped that was it. End of run. I didn't run a bit. Then rest. Then run a bit. The rest. I'm not into that at all.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 11:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Welp. I've done 5k Monday Tuesday and Thursday this week. I had a personal best a few times, but I'm improving by minor increments. Today was maybe the worst run I've had in a while. I had a really hard time breathing. Not sure what was up with that.

PostPosted: Thu October 27, 2016 11:54 pm 
The Master

Dev wrote:
Welp. I've done 5k Monday Tuesday and Thursday this week. I had a personal best a few times, but I'm improving by minor increments. Today was maybe the worst run I've had in a while. I had a really hard time breathing. Not sure what was up with that.

stop smoking

PostPosted: Fri October 28, 2016 12:07 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Dev wrote:

stop smoking

I haven't had a cigarette in like a month.

PostPosted: Fri October 28, 2016 12:10 am 
The Master

Dev wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
Dev wrote:

stop smoking

I haven't had a cigarette in like a month.

nicotine stays in your system for 34-37 days

congrats on kicking the habit, though

PostPosted: Sat December 03, 2016 11:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Ran my first run after 20 days off on Thursday. That's the most time off I've taken since I started running years ago. MAN! Only a 5 mile run (at a 9:20 pace) but my legs were burning. Then I ran a 4 miler on Friday. Took today off and I'm back again tomorrow. Hoping for another 5.

You would think I'd learn not to stop and take time off after how much it hurts getting back into it. Crazy how quickly/easily you lose fitness.

PostPosted: Mon January 30, 2017 2:27 am 
Rank This Poster

daft twat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
daft twat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Nice work, daft. I knew you could do it. :)

PostPosted: Wed March 22, 2017 10:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

Roller-coaster of a race season for me.

Had my first DNF after my Achilles went "pop!" at mile 80 of a 100-mile race. Out of commission for 6 weeks.
Pulled it together and focused on speed for a few weeks and lowered my half marathon PR by 6 minutes.
Now I'm training for two trail 50Ks with decent elevation gain. Doing about 90 MPW.
Will probably go back to the half marathon after that, then focus on the marathon next race season. After dabbling in ultras for 12+ years, it's nice to be done with a race and back home in time for lunch.

Strava has really bolstered my training. I dig trying to get CRs on segments and feel like it holds me accountable. I can't touch most road CRs, but I can still compete on trails and stuff with lots of elevation gain.

PostPosted: Wed March 22, 2017 10:42 pm 
Gone

T2b?

PostPosted: Wed March 22, 2017 10:49 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I think I'm gonna start this season by doubling my distance to 10km.

PostPosted: Wed March 22, 2017 10:49 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Welcome back t2b, if it's you.

PostPosted: Wed March 22, 2017 10:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

Thanks, Dev.

PostPosted: Sat April 01, 2017 11:47 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Running my first half marathon in the morning. Raleigh's Rock 'N Roll Marathon.

Wish me luck.

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2017 12:13 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Go get'em B!

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2017 12:21 am 
Gone

I got 6 miles in today then cleaned my gutters.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9254 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59 ... 463  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports