The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 463  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Mon July 11, 2016 2:48 am 
Gone

daft twat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
12 miles today. Going into my 6th week of marathon training. Hopefully this is the year I can get this done and not pick up any knocks that derail the goal.

What's the goal? What marathon are you running?

I did 11 today. Felt pretty good.

Quad Cities Marathon. Small time stuff in Western Illinois river town. I'd like to finish in 4 hours or so. Last year I picked up some over use injuries and had to bail out. So far so good this year, but i've never ran farther than 16 miles in my life so its uncharted territory that is fast approaching.

PostPosted: Mon July 11, 2016 2:49 am 
Gone

New shoes. Adidas Sequence Boost 9. Just in time because my 8's only have a month or two left in them.

PostPosted: Mon July 11, 2016 4:02 am 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:
daft twat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
12 miles today. Going into my 6th week of marathon training. Hopefully this is the year I can get this done and not pick up any knocks that derail the goal.

What's the goal? What marathon are you running?

I did 11 today. Felt pretty good.

Quad Cities Marathon. Small time stuff in Western Illinois river town. I'd like to finish in 4 hours or so. Last year I picked up some over use injuries and had to bail out. So far so good this year, but i've never ran farther than 16 miles in my life so its uncharted territory that is fast approaching.

Was in Moline for the No Code show, so I'm a bit familiar. In my experience, just make sure you don't skip your long runs. Do a 20, but don't go past that until the actual race. Use this thread as a run journal if you like. Mine is a couple of weeks after yours. We can share good day/bad day shit along the way.

I have done 3, all up in Duluth. For my first (2013), I got drunk on JD the night before, ate half a Mexican pizza and a bag of Reese's minis, then sprayed diarrhea is the BFI while the national anthem was played. 3:37:03. Last year I trained hard for 11 weeks, but never ran more than 18. 3:18:49. This year I trained for the better part of 8 months. 3:48:05. I don't want to keep doing this, but I can't have my last go be my slowest.

PostPosted: Wed July 13, 2016 3:11 am 
Gone

6 miles tonight. The new shoes are an improvement over last year's version. Better heel fit and a little lighter. Going to break them in slow. Looking ahead to this weekend's long run, it will be 14 miles. Weather looks okay. It's looking like my pace for marathon will be between 8:30 and 9 minute miles, which I guess I can accept for a first attempt. I mainly just want to finish respectably and get one under my belt then figure out how to get faster.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 1:16 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

daft twat wrote:
Peeps wrote:
im running a 10k obstacle course saturday

terrainracing.com, pittsburgh

it was nice not knowing you people

How did this go, Peeps? I remember you lost significant weight a while back. Keep most of it off? Ever consider doing a half?

it was good but i was sore as hell the rest of the day. while its a 10k and you think running, the course was 75% mud so there wasnt a lot of running.

the obstacles were fairly normal, a few 20 foot walls you had to climg, a few 8 ft walls to go over, cargo nets, tires to flip and or drag etc.

took me just a bit over 2 hours which for the 10k portion was a decent enough time.

still have kept the weight off and trying to lose some more. not sure if i could ever be a runner though.

PostPosted: Thu July 14, 2016 2:45 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

i did notice these bruises this morning...

PostPosted: Fri July 22, 2016 10:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I haven't been to a doctor but I've self diagnosed myself with runner's knee. It sucks.

PostPosted: Sat July 23, 2016 1:56 am 
Gone

It's fucking hot out in Illinois. Tough run today after work.

PostPosted: Sat July 23, 2016 2:01 am 
Gone

durdencommatyler wrote:
I haven't been to a doctor but I've self diagnosed myself with runner's knee. It sucks.

How do you feel going up and down stairs?

PostPosted: Mon August 01, 2016 12:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

verb_to_trust wrote:

Ran with one of my graduating seniors (I coach cross country) on Friday. We did 9. He took off in the last mile just to show me how old I am. What made it extra hard was I was running on 4 hours of sleep after being stuck at O'Hare for 12 hours Thursday.

I am now on a 2 week family road trip. I am a lot anxious about getting my scheduled runs in as well as how poorly I eat when I travel.

PostPosted: Thu August 11, 2016 12:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

daft twat wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:

I am now on a 2 week family road trip. I am a lot anxious about getting my scheduled runs in as well as how poorly I eat when I travel.

So here's how this went. First, the week prior I did workouts on off days so I could have a few off days to start the trip. That's not really how running works, but running schedules aren't really how life works either. I figured either way I'd get the miles.

Jul 30-Aug 1 - No runs, but did a shitload of hiking in the Smoky Mts.
Aug 2 - Huge Fail. Was in Savannah, Ga. Was supposed to do 2 easy, 8 fast 800s, and a cool down. I did 2 slow and 2 800s. It was just too hot and the river was a bad place to run. Really discouraging after so many off days.
Aug 3 - 5 easy on Myrtle Beach and around the Boardwalk. I didn't know where I was going. I just happened to go in the wrong direction.
Aug 4 - Just under 9.5. Was supposed to go out slow for 2, then do fast 3, slow 3 minutes, fast 3, slow 1. Had to modify due to the heat. I did 2 fast 2 milers with a bigger break in the middle. How hot is it here? My phone broke because sweat got into it. I had to do the rest of my runs with no music.
Aug 5 - Off
Aug 6 - 7 miles - 2 slow, 3 decent (7:30 pace), 2 slow.
Aug 7 - 14 miles. I am proud of this one. I kept the first 9 between 8 and 8:30, did the next 4 between 7:07 and 7:20, and finished with a slow one. Not a record run, but it was smart running.
Aug 8 - This was supposed to be a rest day, but because I wanted to take advantage of having a good place to run, I did Tuesday's run here. This was intense. Went out slow for 2 and then did 16 400s with 45 second slow run breaks between them. I was supposed to do them all in a row, but I took a few minutes after 8 to walk/jog a bit so the last 8 weren't dogshit. Considering I did this right after my long day, it went really well.
Aug 9 - 5 slow, but even slower than I intended. My legs were toast after the past two days.
Aug 10 - Off
Aug 11 - Lucky to be right next to the canal in Indianapolis. Did 2 slow, 3 fast 2 mile intervals, and a slow mile finish for an even 10.
Aug 12 - Off
So around 56 miles. One failed workout. A lot of poor eating and way too much drinking, but I'd guess my weight hasn't changed. When I get home tomorrow night, I won't feel like I'm making up lost ground. 2 months to go!

PostPosted: Sat August 20, 2016 4:50 am 
Rank This Poster

Just did 18 with a 7:26 avg pace. Mile 12 was my fastest at 7 flat, and 18 was the only one over 8 with 8:09. It was late, so sun was not a factor, but we're still at 91% humidity. Overall, not bad, but I'm really worried that the plantar fasciitis in my right foot is going to be a race day factor.

PostPosted: Mon September 19, 2016 10:55 am 
Rank This Poster

Did my last 20 yesterday. The nipple bandages were bright red when I took them off, but it was worth it. Did a murderous hilly route and still managed my fastest 20 with a 7:17 pace. Tried vanilla power gels. It was like eating creamer, but the runny consistency is what I've been looking for. I also used a strapped on water bottle for the first time. I didn't hate it. I may actually do that during the race. 3 weeks to go! It's taper time.

Still running, Verb?

PostPosted: Fri September 23, 2016 6:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I went and picked up my bib for the race on Sunday. Funny thing, I thought it was a 10K. It's actually a 10 MILE. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 11:16 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I been running 5km for the past few days which is good for having sprained my ankle beginning of july. I was pretty amped up today but in the end my run was pretty typical, maybe even a touch worse than usual. Running in the cold makes everything tougher.

PostPosted: Thu October 06, 2016 11:27 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Dev wrote:
I been running 5km for the past few days which is good for having sprained my ankle beginning of july. I was pretty amped up today but in the end my run was pretty typical, maybe even a touch worse than usual. Running in the cold makes everything tougher.

It does, for sure. But it also feels more comfortable, I think.

Hang in there. Keep up the good work. Make sure you're stretching.

PostPosted: Fri October 07, 2016 4:49 pm 
Future Drummer

Had my first trail race last weekend, in fact it was my first run on trail for more than a half mile stretch of a local loop; wasn't aware of the fixed-time ultra concept either. I have a road marathon at the end of the month and a 50K through Philly in December but I think I'll be focusing on longer distance trail endeavors for the most part... plus some of the races look pretty damn awesome across the globe.

PostPosted: Sat October 08, 2016 3:17 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

oasisfan35 wrote:
Had my first trail race last weekend, in fact it was my first run on trail for more than a half mile stretch of a local loop; wasn't aware of the fixed-time ultra concept either. I have a road marathon at the end of the month and a 50K through Philly in December but I think I'll be focusing on longer distance trail endeavors for the most part... plus some of the races look pretty damn awesome across the globe.

:nice:

PostPosted: Sat October 08, 2016 3:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Final borough series race tomorrow: The Staten Island Half Marathon. Super excited to be done with the cycle. I've basically been in training for a year now because of this series. Looking forward to some cutback. Also, I feel like shit. I'd hoped to PR Staten Island but that ain't gonna happen now. Whatever. Hopefully, I don't die. That's really the only goal at this point. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat October 08, 2016 9:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

durdencommatyler wrote:
Final borough series race tomorrow: The Staten Island Half Marathon. Super excited to be done with the cycle. I've basically been in training for a year now because of this series. Looking forward to some cutback. Also, I feel like shit. I'd hoped to PR Staten Island but that ain't gonna happen now. Whatever. Hopefully, I don't die. That's really the only goal at this point. :lol:

Good luck, dct! I'm in a similar boat. Ran with my team during cc season from mid-Aug to early November last year. 2 days after the season I started training for a June marathon. It was hot and humid and I was 30 minutes slower than the previous year. I immediately signed up for the Twin Cities marathon and it's tomorrow morning. Temps looks to be in the mid-30s. This fucking state. There is a sweet spot between 72 and 35. Doesn't it know? Regardless, I plan on killing it tomorrow.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58 ... 463  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports