The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 462  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 11:45 pm 
Gone

guestT wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
guestT wrote:
Picked out a training plan yet?

I got a higdon one printed out. I actually plan on asking you a lot of questions about your first time so hopefully you check your pms.

For sure, ask away. I used Higdon's Intermediate 1, but kinda wish I had done Int. 2 (similar or same MPW but more speed workouts).

I'm going to be mainly concerned about nutrition during the race. I have zero experience with that.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:06 pm 
Rank This Poster

Ordered a pair of Boston 6s (Black/Purple/Red) off of Amazon this morning for $70.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:26 pm 
Gone

That's a sweet deal

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

Had a serious case of the don't wannas this morning, but got it done. Canals were packed with runners.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:13 pm 
verb_to_trust wrote:

I'm going to be mainly concerned about nutrition during the race. I have zero experience with that.

That was my undoing. I'm still trying to figure out what works for me. I think my strategy was like 90% good. I had a big (for me) breakfast - oatmeal and half a bagel - ate a Gu at 5, 10, 15, 19, and 23 miles, ate two random orange slices, and drank water at every station. Had zero stomach issues. Bonked hard around mile 20 and had 3 shitty miles before recovering near the end. I think a slightly bigger breakfast and alternating water with Gatorade would have helped a lot. Still kicking myself for not even trying a Gatorade.

I'm running Grandma's Marathon in a few weeks. I guess I'm still tentatively planning to use the same plan, but if it's as hot in Duluth as it's been down here that will be a struggle. I couldn't get more than one Gu down on my long run the other day and felt like shit ("Gu gut") for the rest of the day.

Yesterday I tried one of the Hammer Nutrition powder mixes that came in the sampler pack they sent me. One pouch was like 270 calories (equal to almost 3 Gu's). It was only a 6 mile run but I thought it worked great. I'd like to try something like that or Tailwind for the marathon, but I don't know how the logistics would work. You'd have to carry a shit ton of it with you and keep refilling your water bottle, or have someone meet you every hour or so.

I guess my best advice would be to try a bunch of shit to see what works best, and make a decision before your last long run so you can practice it.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

The whole race nutrition thing is such a minefield that so greatly depends on the individual that I tend to avoid the question if asked.

I have one friend that takes a GU every 20 minutes. (He did this for an entire 100 miler!) And another Ultra friend who only drinks water.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Tailwind.

That being said, I generally think people eat too much in marathons.

For most people, eating anything after 20 miles isn't actually doing you any good because your body isn't gonna be able to use it as fuel.

Last edited by run2death on Tue May 29, 2018 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

Also, those Higdon plans are fine, but after your first couple of marathons I'd really think about looking into a Jack Daniel's (yes, haha) plan.

Periodization and workouts based on your VO2Max/VDOT numbers are proven methods that have become the standard philosophy for running coaches.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:39 pm 
Yeah I'm gonna keep using this Higdon plan as a base for the rest of this year but will probably try something more sophisticated next spring. I bought the Pfitzinger Advanced Marathoning book but haven't really looked at it yet.

Logistically, how would someone use something like Tailwind for a point-to-point road marathon where you don't have drop bags? You would have to have someone meet you with refills, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm 
Rank This Poster

Either have someone meet you or put the Tailwind in little snack bags and put it in the pouch of a handheld. That pouch will fit 4 snack bags.

I did that for my two mountain 50Ks last year.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:48 pm 
Oh sweet, I just bought that exact bottle last week. So then you just time it so that you can refill the bottle at a water station?

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:49 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yup.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

Judging from your Strava entries, you're gonna improve significantly over the next year or so. The sooner you switch to a plan that uses the VDOT formula the better.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

You guys shouldn't be like me and just putts away your best running years by having no real direction. The number of times I just went out and hammered ever training run, but then saw very little actual improvement in races is disturbing.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:22 pm 
Gone

I'm so overwhelmed right now

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:25 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 ICQ  Profile

3.1 on the treadmill...32 minutes. 1.0 incline. I was taking her easy today after something like, 18 beers and endless calories all weekend.

Quote:
Interested in cultivating a relationship with me in my secret lair? Just ask!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:39 pm 
run2death wrote:
Judging from your Strava entries, you're gonna improve significantly over the next year or so. The sooner you switch to a plan that uses the VDOT formula the better.

Lord, I hope so. I hate to keep being such a bitch about the heat, but I feel like I've gone backward 6 months in the last 3 weeks. Running 4 miles at 7:55/m this morning felt like a huge accomplishment.

verb_to_trust wrote:
I'm so overwhelmed right now

Aw man, don't be. Training is fun. After the marathon you'll look back and see one set of footprints. That's where the Strava group carried you.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

Day 5 of the streak. Feel like my legs are getting into the groove.

Switching my work schedule next week so I can run in the morning.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

ive been running at lunch. its about 29 minutes for 2.7 miles. its been hot as balls here

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:33 pm 
Might have to run in the rain to be a human light again tonight, otherwise my streak dies at 2.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

guestT wrote:
Might have to run in the rain to be a human light again tonight, otherwise my streak dies at 2.

You did it! :hooray:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 462  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports