The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374 ... 463  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Running Thread
PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 5:57 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
I envy that.

There are many positives to having a record of my runs that I can look back on and learn from/relive, but I do wish that I could discard the ego and just move for movement's sake.

Interesting. So, then, do you think one can't divorce ego from the equation? Is it possible to keep track sans ego?

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

epilogue wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I envy that.

There are many positives to having a record of my runs that I can look back on and learn from/relive, but I do wish that I could discard the ego and just move for movement's sake.

Interesting. So, then, do you think one can't divorce ego from the equation? Is it possible to keep track sans ego?

I don't think so. The moment you start your GPS, you're conscious of what you're doing in a way that you wouldn't be if you just went out for a run for movement + exploration's sake. Whether it's a distance goal, a time goal, or even just a goal to make a cool looking route on a map, the results are part of the run when you attach data to it.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:31 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Expanding on this.

For me, the data is about seeing the yearly progress on a timeline, and that's 100% for my ego. It has a lot to do with how self conscious I am about being an inconsistent person. Watching my mileage rise, fall, and lock into a repetitive pattern on a timeline gives me a sense of consistency that I can be proud of. For that reason, even one missed run on a data log corrupts the picture for me. It's a self absorbed way of thinking, even if the act of logging mileage itself is de facto good for my mental and physical health.

Running is therapy and an addiction at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:38 pm 
mXn

My factors are which field/park is empty so I can let the dog off the leash a little, and “oh I haven’t been over to X part of the neighborhood for awhile” so I rarely have an exact route ahead of time.

Also when it’s clear to cross the street, or if the sun is in my eyes too brightly, how tired I might feel or if I need to get back quickly so I’m not too late to work, blah blah blah.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

washing machine wrote:
epilogue wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I envy that.

I don't think so. The moment you start your GPS, you're conscious of what you're doing in a way that you wouldn't be if you just went out for a run for movement + exploration's sake. Whether it's a distance goal, a time goal, or even just a goal to make a cool looking route on a map, the results are part of the run when you attach data to it.

This is fascinating to me because we had that brief little back and forth (I think it kinda turned into an argument or a fight for a second, unintentionally) about my wanting to have a great pace or whatever and you posted that thing about running just to run without thinking about that stuff.

But to this conversation, sometimes I want to keep track just to know. Not because I have a specific goal in mind. I often start my Garmin and then don't look at it until I'm done. There is no conscious thought about time/pace/cool looking route. I always think about how many miles I'm running. But sometimes -- not always -- but sometimes the other stuff is irrelevant. I just track it out of curiosity and habit. Is that ego?

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

epilogue wrote:
washing machine wrote:
epilogue wrote:
washing machine wrote:
I envy that.

This is fascinating to me because we had that brief little back and forth (I think it kinda turned into an argument or a fight for a second, unintentionally) about my wanting to have a great pace or whatever and you posted that thing about running just to run without thinking about that stuff.

But to this conversation, sometimes I want to keep track just to know. Not because I have a specific goal in mind. I often start my Garmin and then don't look at it until I'm done. There is no conscious thought about time/pace/cool looking route. I always think about how many miles I'm running. But sometimes -- not always -- but sometimes the other stuff is irrelevant. I just track it out of curiosity and habit. Is that ego?

On a run, I do this too. All the time. I don't even run with a watch half the time, and the other half I don't start my GPS on it at all. I push start on the Strava app on my phone and I hear the pace updates every mile. The majority of a run is empty space in my head, and my common routes are marked by landmarks at this point rather than GPS mileage. This has been a boon on helping me "run by feel" and it's improved my running immensely. It's also helped me enjoy the run.

I think we're talking about different things, maybe? I have long passed the days where I look at my watch while I run, which I think is what you're referring to? What I'm saying here is that my ego comes into play by the mere action of logging the run on Strava at all. I could turn off the notifications entirely at this point and probably still run a good route, but I'd be lying if I said that the way the run turns out on paper afterwards isn't on my mind at least a little, even on my zone out long runs.

How great would it be to run with a child's energy and wonder. Just Forrest Gumping it across America. I'm not ready for that yet and I envy those who can do it.

Last edited by washing machine on Fri January 28, 2022 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 6:57 pm 
The Master

I’m retiring.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:00 pm 
mXn

I’ll work on hacking all the Strava satellites so WM doesn’t have the option, and can start actually enjoying running.

I’ve got a contact :fistbump:

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:03 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Yes bammer. I absolutely hate running. That's the take right there.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:05 pm 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
Yes bammer. I absolutely hate running. That's the take right there.

So we’re clear :lol:

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:09 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I see runners checking their watches constantly and it always amazes me. I've never been that runner. Even in training I only look at my watch when I get the mile notification. It buzzes, I look down at check my mile time, and that's it. Even when training I've never done the kind of work that requires my checking my watch. I should try it sometime and see how it changes what I do.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I get off work at 4. I hate running after work. But it's warmer today than it is tomorrow AND there's supposed to be a bunch of snow coming. I should run after work today. I can lift indoors tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:24 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Bam Bam. You're onto something with those satellite hacks.

There is a way on Strava to manually log a run. After this half marathon training block and race, I can commit to one GPS free run a week. Running for running's sake.

I'm not ready to fully commit to an undocumented run, so I will still manually log the run mileage based on guesses and landmarks, but it's a start. I am working towards a yearly goal of a thousand miles after all.

But yes, starting second week of March, one run a week with no GPS or phone. Just movement. Hacking my mental satellites. Baby steps. Consider this post a blood oath.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 7:28 pm 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
Bam Bam. You're onto something with those satellite hacks.

There is a way on Strava to manually log a run. After this half marathon training block and race, I can commit to one GPS free run a week. Running for running's sake.

I'm not ready to fully commit to an undocumented run, so I will still manually log the run mileage based on guesses and landmarks, but it's a start. I am working towards a yearly goal of a thousand miles after all.

But yes, starting second week of March, one run a week with no GPS or phone. Just movement. Hacking my mental satellites. Baby steps. Consider this post a blood oath.

Word.

I can get on board with the annual 1,000 mile goal and at least ballparking it. But it’s not something I would track personally. Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

1,000 miles? Get the fuck outta here!

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:22 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Rangi Guy wrote:
1,000 miles? Get the fuck outta here!

At my current fitness level and routine, it is a reasonable goal. Especially considering I have a potential 18-week marathon training block in the fall/winter of 2022.

I got nearly 600 last year and that was with weekly mileage not even peaking until September. I'm currently juuust below pace with a weekly average of around 19.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I've done 55km this month. If I kept that up (I won't) it'd only be 660km in a year.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:32 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Do you have a yearly goal? Last year my goal was 500 and I thought that would come down to the wire, yet I ended up getting it before December. You'd be surprised what you can do, Rangi, though I doubt I have to tell you that. You seem like a natural athlete.

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Nah. For the past 4 years or so I'd set myself the easy goal of 100km. Have never hit it

PostPosted: Fri January 28, 2022 8:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Shit. You're already over halfway there and it's still January.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 9255 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374 ... 463  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports