The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 5:53 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2893
That's all.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 5:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:13 pm
Posts: 34380
Location: Donkeys live a long time.
Electromatic wrote:
That's all.

Is that really all? Tell us about your day.

_________________
Death is coming. Eat trash. Be free.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 10:44 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 7:52 pm
Posts: 3086
BurtReynolds wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
That's all.

Is that really all? Tell us about your day.



He watched his Braves & Falcons suck a big rubber one


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 4904
Location: 5th floor, Bay 8, position 5851
God may hate Cleveland but apparently Atlanta is on his list too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 3:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:07 pm
Posts: 2373
tell me about it

fins lost, ffl teams went 0-3, atl knocked me outta last man standing


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 6:14 pm 
Offline
Banned from the Pit
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 31, 2013 11:17 pm
Posts: 24
Braves complete their late season fade like we've seen many times in the past. I'm tempted to look up their post season record since '91, but I'm already bummed enough. Good news for me on one hand, if the Dodgers make it to the WS, I'm booked for 5 days of work.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 6:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 51978
Go crimson tide of Alabama.

_________________
Jammer XCI wrote:
My bong got broken tonight


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 11:15 pm
Posts: 17800
Location: Seattle, WA
"Sports" does have that nice "o" in the middle that makes it quite fuckable


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 08, 2013 8:19 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2893
:cry: :finger: :cry:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 1:35 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 15089
Location: Illinois
Electromatic wrote:
That's all.


If sports had a wet hole I totally would


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Wed October 09, 2013 2:30 am 
Offline
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 1316
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
God may hate Cleveland but apparently Atlanta is on his list too.


at least Cleveland seems to actually give a shit about their teams


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Thu October 10, 2013 12:25 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2893
MattA75 wrote:
Biff Pocoroba wrote:
God may hate Cleveland but apparently Atlanta is on his list too.


at least Cleveland seems to actually give a shit about their teams


People who grow up in Cleveland live there. No one lives in Atlanta that grew up here and any that did are college fans. These are expansion teams largely from 66. Cleveland still has people that remember Jim Brown.

Atlanta has a long history of shitty management losing, corporate dispassionate owners and hanging up fucking participation banners.

Would you love these teams? No? Then why does anyone expect people from here too? It's mostly corporate money in the stands everywhere anyway except pro football and that's going away too.

Basically if its not college no one cares.

I don't give a shit how people spend their entertainment dollars really.

That said, why waste time watching a terrible product and why waste hundreds of dollars to make the idiots who own that terrible franchise rich?

The last point, the Braves who have no hope of doing anything in the playoffs ever under corporate ownership still draw over 2 1/2 million people a year, The Falcons have sold every game out since 2002 or so and the Thrashers drew better than 7 or 8 teams at last check until they quit. Even the God Awful Hawks do fairly well and sold out in the playoffs I know because I was there.

Generally the Atlanta sucks articles come from Mets fan writers and reporters who were jealous that playoffs became passé in Atlanta.

Seriously, it's worse to have a lot of good not great teams that can't possibly win Than it is to have dreadfully terrible teams.

The braves have the largest radio network in sports in the worst TV media deal because the corporate owner who sold out last gave itself a sweetheart deal before it left. People care, people care a lot, but ultimately unless you are winning not a lot of people are on the bandwagon publically. If I were to say anything I'd say its a front running town with mostly corporate yuppy fans and corporate ownership.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51531
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this or the "how big a role" thread, but here goes.

I grew up in sports, watching, playing, etc. I played football and baseball at a young age, and soccer and track in high school, along with recreational basketball. Between my dad, grandfather, and uncle, I probably went to at least 30 ball games a year. Phillies, Orioles, Indians, respectively. My dad was a die hard hockey fan (Islanders) and I've been following the Buccaneers since the Colts left Baltimore. I was at the game where Laettner made the last second shot against Kentucky in the NCAAs. I've played fantasy sports. I've played adult recreational sports. But in the past year, I've found myself less and less interested. Not because my "teams" aren't in it, I just don't have the excitement during the seasons that I used to. Even the Olympics, which I used to get so amped up for, are just "meh" now. It has really come to light in the first part of this NFL season and during these MLB playoffs. Has anyone else experienced this? I seriously find myself not giving a fuck anymore.

Fuck sports, I guess.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:05 pm 
Offline
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 21917
Location: the beach
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this or the "how big a role" thread, but here goes.

I grew up in sports, watching, playing, etc. I played football and baseball at a young age, and soccer and track in high school, along with recreational basketball. Between my dad, grandfather, and uncle, I probably went to at least 30 ball games a year. Phillies, Orioles, Indians, respectively. My dad was a die hard hockey fan (Islanders) and I've been following the Buccaneers since the Colts left Baltimore. I was at the game where Laettner made the last second shot against Kentucky in the NCAAs. I've played fantasy sports. I've played adult recreational sports. But in the past year, I've found myself less and less interested. Not because my "teams" aren't in it, I just don't have the excitement during the seasons that I used to. Even the Olympics, which I used to get so amped up for, are just "meh" now. It has really come to light in the first part of this NFL season and during these MLB playoffs. Has anyone else experienced this? I seriously find myself not giving a fuck anymore.

Fuck sports, I guess.

we're a lot a like, you and I..i care less every year that goes by. I still love baseball but at least for me it has been unwatchable for the last 15 years..If the bronco game isn't on regular tv here I dont even go to the bar anymore to watch it. quitting fantasy football 2 years ago is still my best decision


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Polluted
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:27 am
Posts: 7352
Location: PM me, I have everything.
I still haven't posted in the 2018 NFL Season thread.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23866
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
do you guys think this is related at all the the general state of the world? Like, is it harder to care about sports when everything else is going to hell in a handbasket? Personally, the only sporting event that really engages me these days is the Olympics, and I think a large part of that is because the international nature of it, and the stories of the athletes, serves as an antidote to the dumpster fire that is my daily news feed.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:41 am
Posts: 14065
Location: Cumberland, RI
I've been going on a similar trajectory over the past 5 years or so. I lost basically all interest in basketball, hockey, and now football is fading fast. I'm just as into baseball as I've ever been, though, if not more (which I guess makes sense, as I'm not using any of the fandom energy on the other sports).

I guess it's a combination of changes in the daily routine, career, etc that makes it harder to sit down and watch all the games, plus off-the-field stuff that makes it harder to just unplug and enjoy.

_________________
McParadigm wrote:
lol


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51531
tragabigzanda wrote:
do you guys think this is related at all the the general state of the world? Like, is it harder to care about sports when everything else is going to hell in a handbasket? Personally, the only sporting event that really engages me these days is the Olympics, and I think a large part of that is because the international nature of it, and the stories of the athletes, serves as an antidote to the dumpster fire that is my daily news feed.

I just feel like sitting around for hours now watching sports seems like a huge waste of my time. There are a ton of things I'd rather be out doing, I guess.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 23866
Location: Different mountains than Strat.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
do you guys think this is related at all the the general state of the world? Like, is it harder to care about sports when everything else is going to hell in a handbasket? Personally, the only sporting event that really engages me these days is the Olympics, and I think a large part of that is because the international nature of it, and the stories of the athletes, serves as an antidote to the dumpster fire that is my daily news feed.

I just feel like sitting around for hours now watching sports seems like a huge waste of my time. There are a ton of things I'd rather be out doing, I guess.

death is creeping...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51531
tragabigzanda wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
do you guys think this is related at all the the general state of the world? Like, is it harder to care about sports when everything else is going to hell in a handbasket? Personally, the only sporting event that really engages me these days is the Olympics, and I think a large part of that is because the international nature of it, and the stories of the athletes, serves as an antidote to the dumpster fire that is my daily news feed.

I just feel like sitting around for hours now watching sports seems like a huge waste of my time. There are a ton of things I'd rather be out doing, I guess.

death is creeping...

I need to make plans for my Bozeman prepper house, trag

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Tue October 23, 2018 9:55 am