Switch to full style
Discuss your hatred for the Yankees here.
Post a reply

Re: MLB

Sun November 19, 2023 3:02 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bammer wrote:The A’s moving to Vegas … but not until 2028. That seems like a LONG way out. 4 more full lame duck seasons in Oakland.

Dang. That just leaves the NBA, right? Who will move there? Orlando? Sacramento? Boston?

Vegas and Seattle will get new expansion teams, not relocation.

Sun November 19, 2023 4:42 pm

Bammer wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Bammer wrote:The A’s moving to Vegas … but not until 2028. That seems like a LONG way out. 4 more full lame duck seasons in Oakland.

Dang. That just leaves the NBA, right? Who will move there? Orlando? Sacramento? Boston?

Vegas and Seattle will get new expansion teams, not relocation.

Where do you think Seattle will move to after 15 years? Nashville? KC?

Thu December 07, 2023 1:10 am

I'm going to need Shohei to make his decision soon so I can get on with my life.

Fri December 08, 2023 11:10 pm

:shock: This is killing me.

Sat December 09, 2023 8:30 pm

Farmer John wrote:I'm going to need Shohei to make his decision soon so I can get on with my life.

He did. :shock:

Sat December 09, 2023 10:31 pm

700 million. Whoa…

Sat December 09, 2023 11:06 pm

How is $700 million possible? $70mil a year!? That's basically double Trout's and Judge's average annual salary. That's wild. Was someone other than the Dodgers seriously even coming close to that?

I would not be surprised if we see reporting in the next few hours or days clarifying that $250 million of those dollars are going to some Shohei-approved charities or something because holy cow

Sat December 09, 2023 11:10 pm

the "majority" of Ohtani's salary will be deferred in order to mitigate what the Dodgers are charged toward their competitive balance tax payroll on a yearly basis, giving them more freedom to add players over the life of Ohtani's contract. Those deferrals, according to the source, were Ohtani's idea.

So maybe we'll have fifty years of another Bobby Bonilla Day and, inflation being what it is, those long-deferred payments won't be as painful to the Dodgers as $70 million looks right now. But even still that is a wild number

Sun December 10, 2023 12:08 am

The Argonaut wrote:How is $700 million possible? $70mil a year!? That's basically double Trout's and Judge's average annual salary. That's wild. Was someone other than the Dodgers seriously even coming close to that?

I would not be surprised if we see reporting in the next few hours or days clarifying that $250 million of those dollars are going to some Shohei-approved charities or something because holy cow

He’s a top hitter and pitcher, and at his age, either of those on their own could garner half a billion. But then understanding that he may not be a two way guy forever, you justify paying him as one and a half of those two players, so $700 mil sounds about right.

Sun December 10, 2023 12:10 am

I figured the total value would be north of $600 million, but I didn’t think it’d get that high. If you split the contract in half and consider it $350 mil for 10 years as a hitter, it matches the AAV of Trout’s contract, but then it’s $350 mil for 9 years as a pitcher, but there are a handful of guys making more than that, so it’s almost a deal?

Sun December 10, 2023 12:13 am

daft twat wrote:
Farmer John wrote:I'm going to need Shohei to make his decision soon so I can get on with my life.

He did. :shock:

He did. It's fine. I'm doing fine.

Spoiler: show

Sun December 10, 2023 12:42 am

As a pitcher, he has been oft-injured and at best a marginal Cy Young candidate in an off-year.

I'm waiting for details about these deferred payments

Sun December 10, 2023 1:10 am

He’s a once in a generation talent, but what can you get for $14 million a year? Wouldn’t five $14 million caliber free agents be a better investment than one $70 million player?

Sun December 10, 2023 1:37 am

They'll sell a lot of jerseys

Sun December 10, 2023 3:15 am

Contract’s worth more than the A’s total payroll the past decade.

Sun December 10, 2023 5:40 pm

Tue December 12, 2023 6:13 am

Kinda wishing I could go back and undo my Mariners ticket plan for 2024.

Wed December 13, 2023 9:04 pm

Ohtani deferring most of his salary as nothing more than a tax dodge confirmed.

Under a 1996 federal law, Ohtani can be exempted from California’s 14.4% top income tax rate on his deferred compensation if he no longer lives in the state. After 10 years of being paid $2 million per year to play for the Dodgers, Ohtani will begin receiving $68 million in annual payments from 2034 to 2043. Should he follow the lead of top-earning athletes such as Phil Mickelson, who moved from California due to significant increases in income taxes, Ohtani would save over $9 million per year in California income taxes. Whether he moves to a state without income taxes like Florida, or even back to Japan, leaving the Golden State after his 10 year stint playing for the Dodgers could be a prudent financial move.

Wed December 13, 2023 9:05 pm

Wed December 13, 2023 9:06 pm

:lol:
Post a reply