The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551 ... 729  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 5:03 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

MattA75 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
McGriff is borderline for me. Walker, Jones, and Rolen, though, should be no-doubters.

I struggle with Walker because I feel like all his stats are inflated from playing in Colorado...there's years where he hit .400 at home and .230 everywhere else...I get you can't help the environment you play in, but I definitely feel like you have to take it into account...Walker was a very good player but I don't know that I ever thought of him as a hall of famer

The other two you mention (Jones and Rolen) I kind of think of the same way...very good players, maybe even had great years each, but hall of fame?

I feel like Jones and Rolen were so good defensively that it puts them over the top.

PostPosted: Thu January 24, 2019 8:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

MattA75 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
McGriff is borderline for me. Walker, Jones, and Rolen, though, should be no-doubters.

I struggle with Walker because I feel like all his stats are inflated from playing in Colorado...there's years where he hit .400 at home and .230 everywhere else...I get you can't help the environment you play in, but I definitely feel like you have to take it into account...Walker was a very good player but I don't know that I ever thought of him as a hall of famer

The other two you mention (Jones and Rolen) I kind of think of the same way...very good players, maybe even had great years each, but hall of fame?

The problem with this line of thinking is that it basically leaves you at the point where no one from Colorado can ever by inducted into the Hall of Fame because their stats are always elevated by playing there. It doesn't matter that his career OPS on the road is higher than, say, Griffey's... he played in Colorado and it boosted his numbers, so he's not a Hall of Famer.

Yes, Walker had seasons with a significant platoon advantage from Colorado just like everyone who has ever played there. He also had seasons where his OPS on the road was higher, like his MVP season. He also finished 5th and 11th in MVP voting before he even went to Colorado. He wasn't a star because of Colorado; he was a star who also happened to play in Colorado.

Carl Yastrzemski had nearly the same home advantage as Walker over the course of his career. So did Kirby Puckett. So did Wade Boggs. So did Ryne Sandberg. So did Jim Rice. Yet home and road splits are only used as an argument when it comes to Colorado, for some reason. It's just a convenient and overly simplistic way of looking at things.

Regardless of the splits, that's why we have stats like wRC+ that adjust for era and home stadium. Walker's is 140, which is in the ~60th all-time range and basically tied with A-Rod, Piazza, Ortiz, and Reggie Jackson.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2019 5:36 am 
10Club Complaint Department

philpritchard wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

The problem with this line of thinking is that it basically leaves you at the point where no one from Colorado can ever by inducted into the Hall of Fame because their stats are always elevated by playing there. It doesn't matter that his career OPS on the road is higher than, say, Griffey's... he played in Colorado and it boosted his numbers, so he's not a Hall of Famer.

Yes, Walker had seasons with a significant platoon advantage from Colorado just like everyone who has ever played there. He also had seasons where his OPS on the road was higher, like his MVP season. He also finished 5th and 11th in MVP voting before he even went to Colorado. He wasn't a star because of Colorado; he was a star who also happened to play in Colorado.

Carl Yastrzemski had nearly the same home advantage as Walker over the course of his career. So did Kirby Puckett. So did Wade Boggs. So did Ryne Sandberg. So did Jim Rice. Yet home and road splits are only used as an argument when it comes to Colorado, for some reason. It's just a convenient and overly simplistic way of looking at things.

Regardless of the splits, that's why we have stats like wRC+ that adjust for era and home stadium. Walker's is 140, which is in the ~60th all-time range and basically tied with A-Rod, Piazza, Ortiz, and Reggie Jackson.

I love this post. I think Walker is absolutely deserving.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2019 2:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

I guess I remember Larry Walker more as an Expo than in Colorado. He was a great right fielder.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 3:55 pm 

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/mlb-union-discussing-significant-rule-changes.html

DH could be coming to the NL finally and MLB is proposing a pitcher must face a minimum of 3 batters per appearance.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 6:19 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Would be a big fan of universal DH. Would rather cut a toe off than see any of these pace-of-play rules implemented.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 6:35 pm 

Simple Torture wrote:
Would be a big fan of universal DH. Would rather cut a toe off than see any of these pace-of-play rules implemented.

I'd also be a big fan of the universal DH, but that's probably selfish since a) I'd feel better about how much the Mets will eventually be paying a 41 year old Cano and b) it would save the added humiliation of another year where deGrom somehow acts as one of the more reliable hitters on the team (which is basically how August and September felt last year).

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 6:36 pm 
Poster of the Year

give me universal dh and give me pitch clock

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 6:41 pm 

Mets joking aside, I'd be in on the universal DH at this point just to end the current situation where a handful of free agents are basically confined to the AL. A guy like Nelson Cruz should have more options in terms of where he can sign at this point in his career.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 6:44 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I am kind of surprised you'd be up for a pitch clock, chud.

PostPosted: Wed February 06, 2019 6:46 pm 
Poster of the Year

move it along

PostPosted: Thu February 07, 2019 5:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
move it along

PostPosted: Sat February 09, 2019 3:35 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Reports this morning are that Yankees are close with Machado at 7/8 ~$220m

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2019 3:01 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Tue February 12, 2019 11:32 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Simple Torture wrote:

Call them the Expos and lets play.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 12:53 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I am growing more angry about this situation every day.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 1:20 am 
mXn

numbers wrote:

I am not. The money is insane. Hopefully this means it is coming back down to earth.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 2:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bammer wrote:
numbers wrote:

I am not. The money is insane. Hopefully this means it is coming back down to earth.

The money is not coming back down to earth, more of it is being shifted from the players to the owners.

Last edited by numbers on Wed February 13, 2019 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 2:02 am 
Poster of the Year

numbers wrote:
Bammer wrote:
numbers wrote:

The money is not coming back down to earth, more of it is being shifted from the players the owners.

numbers gets it

PostPosted: Wed February 13, 2019 3:05 am 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
Bammer wrote:
numbers wrote:

The money is not coming back down to earth, more of it is being shifted from the players to the owners.

Yep.

I get teams wanting to be smarter with their money - in recent years they've increased spending on elite relievers and stopped spending in one dimensional sluggers and aging stars - but this isn't about being smarter with their money, this is about spending less of it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 545, 546, 547, 548, 549, 550, 551 ... 729  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports