The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 729  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 5:57 am 
Rank This Poster

So... apparently someone needs to tell Mexico that run differential is a tie-breaker in the tournament.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 9:04 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
No one gives a fuck.

tell that to team's Canada and Mexico... cause that was one legit, we give a fuck, fight!

When the Canadian coached was asked if all his players were alright after the fight / did anyone get hurt, he replied "were Canadian, we dont get hurt" LOL

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 4:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
No one gives a fuck.

tell that to team's Canada and Mexico... cause that was one legit, we give a fuck, fight!

When the Canadian coached was asked if all his players were alright after the fight / did anyone get hurt, he replied "were Canadian, we dont get hurt" LOL

That whole interview with Larry Walker was pretty good.

It was nice to see Canada put a bit of pressure on the US team yesterday... just holding a lead heading into the 8th inning was impressive, given the players on the respective rosters.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 7:43 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
No one gives a fuck.

That whole interview with Larry Walker was pretty good.

It was nice to see Canada put a bit of pressure on the US team yesterday... just holding a lead heading into the 8th inning was impressive, given the players on the respective rosters.

Yup, was a good game up till the 8th, I didnt know who/what to cheer for? Team U.S.A.? being American? or would it be funnier to watch them lose, and have to re-qualify for 2017? so cheer for Canada? which of course in the 8th, had a Brewer on the mound, with Axford ready for the 9th... so cheer for Brewers? who happen to be Canadian?

I LOVE the Netherlands for knocking off Cuba this morning... couldnt stand watching their coach one more game

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 8:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The US is gonna get merked once they have to play someone like the Dominican or Japan. I really like the WBC, and the way the american players go about it just infuriates me. It's not just how the team plays with a malaise that says this is no different than spring training to them. I was watching that game yesterday and I'm thinking to myself, "Why the fuck isnt Trout on this team? and Harper too?" What the fuck is their excuse for not playing in this? They are both years away from a new contract and neither are hurt.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 9:12 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

numbers wrote:
The US is gonna get merked once they have to play someone like the Dominican or Japan. I really like the WBC, and the way the american players go about it just infuriates me. It's not just how the team plays with a malaise that says this is no different than spring training to them. I was watching that game yesterday and I'm thinking to myself, "Why the fuck isnt Trout on this team? and Harper too?" What the fuck is their excuse for not playing in this? They are both years away from a new contract and neither are hurt.

Why do you think it should be so important for them to treat this any differently than, say, the All Star Game (the latter on which they have a lot more riding)? This isn't even the Olympics. It's a marketing tool. The players get paid to win a World Series, not the WBC.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 10:36 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Because this thing has the potential to be like the World Cup or Olympic hockey. It could be something really cool for the fans and the players if it were taken more seriously, specifically by American players.

PostPosted: Mon March 11, 2013 11:45 pm 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
Because this thing has the potential to be like the World Cup or Olympic hockey. It could be something really cool for the fans and the players if it were taken more seriously, specifically by American players.

totally agree numbers
the one that really gets me is Prince Fielder... BOTH the MVP's he protected are in it
hes never been hurt, plays 160 games a year... plays first base... whats he got to lose? (besides 10 pounds)

but there was one guy on the US squad who was really into it and giving it his all
LARRY BOWA LOL if only the rest of the team got that intense...

but seriously,
Taiwan set an attendance record for a baseball game
Japan has 44,000 in the Tokyo doom during the games they played in
and team Mexico out drew the U.S. in the U.S.

its not just the U.S. team but the American fans
which is sad, because its actually a really good set up, the rest of the world is really into it, and playing really good baseball...

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 12:25 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Another example is the Canada/Mexico game. Do you you think the US team would even realize they were getting the score run up on them, let alone care enough to start plunking guys? Do you think the US team would have even thought of fighting in response to a player getting plunked? No on all counts for me.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:09 am 
Looks Like a Cat

numbers wrote:

Not a chance. As long as the tourney is in spring training, and as long as you don't have the best of the best playing (and those that do participate do so for teams that only have a tangential relationship with the players (Anthony Rizzo playing for Italy? Really?)), it will never be as big.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:14 am 
Poster of the Year

Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:

Not a chance. As long as the tourney is in spring training, and as long as you don't have the best of the best playing (and those that do participate do so for teams that only have a tangential relationship with the players (Anthony Rizzo playing for Italy? Really?)), it will never be as big.

Team Chris_H_2

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:14 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:

I didnt say as big, just similar. The best of the best not playing is what I'm complaining about, and in soccer players playing for nations of heritage happens all the time. There's like 4 German born german speaking players on the US team right now.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:21 am 
Looks Like a Cat

numbers wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:

I didnt say as big, just similar. The best of the best not playing is what I'm complaining about, and in soccer players playing for nations of heritage happens all the time. There's like 4 German born german speaking players on the US team right now.

The other problem is that the MLB season already is so long. The last thing that some players want is to prolong an already long season.

Plus, there is the injury aspect. If I'm the owner of the Angels and Trout is playing and breaks his leg, I'm pissed at Bud Selig.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:22 am 
Poster of the Year

Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:

The other problem is that the MLB season already is so long. The last thing that some players want is to prolong an already long season.

Plus, there is the injury aspect. If I'm the owner of the Angels and Trout is playing and breaks his leg, I'm pissed at Bud Selig.

Pretty much this.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:29 am 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:

Pretty much this.

Shit happens, why even use Trout in the regular season, just save him for the playoffs so he'll be healthy. I know this thing will never mean near as much as a world series, but I still think it could be something on par with what olympic hockey is if done right. Spring Training is the only time it came be done, teams would never ever sign off on taking a couple weeks off midseason, and players wouldnt be even less inclined than they are now to play in it after the season ended. The other nations, for the most part, take this thing very seriously. I'm not just talking about Japan here either, the Dominican and Venezuela all have players with as much to lose as the American players and do alot better job turning out a team and their players take it much more seriously.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 2:39 am 
Poster of the Year

Of course spring training is the only time it can be done. But it's still not ideal, and in my opinion, isn't worth it.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 8:34 am 
RM Elitist

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Of course spring training is the only time it can be done. But it's still not ideal, and in my opinion, isn't worth it.

Cancel the All Star game once every 4 years, and play a 7-8 day tourney, throw in a double header if you have to in the WBC.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 8:34 am 
RM Elitist

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Cancel the All Star game once every 4 years, and play a 7-8 day tourney, throw in a double header if you have to in the WBC.

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 3:09 pm 
AnalLog

Springs still the best time, Cuba is the only "country" with a season going right now...
if you did it during the allstar break, your shutting down MLB, Japan, Taiwan (and the European leagues possibly?)

youd have to shorten the MLB season, if youre shutting down for 8 days (unless you add back double headers) why is this a problem? thats home games / revenue out of the owners pocket.

as for the injury aspect, thats the lamest excuse
as Braun said the last time he did this... you can get hurt, just as easy in spring training games. AND I believe USA Today did research on it... the 2009 season had fewer players / games lost to injuries than any season around 2009...

the good news, is Bryce Harper already has said "I want in 2017" and its believed Trout does as well, as he attended the games in Phoenix... so maybe next time around.

I dont think youll ever see alot of big name starting pitchers sign up though with the money involved... id focus more on closers / set up men... would you rather your closer pitch the 3rd or 4th inning against a few big leaguers and minor leaguers? or pitch the 6-9th inning in a game with at least SOME meaning?

PostPosted: Tue March 12, 2013 7:15 pm 
AnalLog

THIS is a really good game!
bottom of 6...
Italy 4-2, DR with 2 on and 1 out as i type this... but yeah,
if you like baseball and youre not watching this? you just dont like baseball LOL

make that loaded up with 2 outs... pitching change lol

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14573 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 729  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports