The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573 ... 730  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Wed June 12, 2019 12:43 pm 
AnalLog

blueviper wrote:
Almost 3 months into the baseball season (and about 65-ish game mark for each team) and what's stuck out for me:

The talk about exit velocities and launch angles and seeing a lot more infield defensive shifts (that I have seen work maybe once)

exit Velo has to be the stupidest new trend. Anyone who did not realize hitting the ball harder will most likely result in more hits is either a moron, or Ichiro.
and until players start using an approach more like the great Ichiro, youre going to continue to see the over shifts. The Reds actually played 3 infielders 4 outfielders against a couple of the Brewers and they still didn't attempt a bunt/slap hit to the open side of the diamond.

PostPosted: Wed June 12, 2019 1:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
blueviper wrote:
Almost 3 months into the baseball season (and about 65-ish game mark for each team) and what's stuck out for me:

The talk about exit velocities and launch angles and seeing a lot more infield defensive shifts (that I have seen work maybe once)

exit Velo has to be the stupidest new trend. Anyone who did not realize hitting the ball harder will most likely result in more hits is either a moron, or Ichiro.
and until players start using an approach more like the great Ichiro, youre going to continue to see the over shifts. The Reds actually played 3 infielders 4 outfielders against a couple of the Brewers and they still didn't attempt a bunt/slap hit to the open side of the diamond.

Right... everyone has always known that. Exit Velocity is just a way of actually measuring it. What's stupid about that?

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2019 1:47 am 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
blueviper wrote:

Right... everyone has always known that. Exit Velocity is just a way of actually measuring it. What's stupid about that?

Its the growing trend of the "swing hard incase you hit it" crowd. Which is leading to higher strike out rates / less contact. Everyone wants to light up the radar guns

PostPosted: Thu June 13, 2019 3:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
blueviper wrote:

Its the growing trend of the "swing hard incase you hit it" crowd. Which is leading to higher strike out rates / less contact. Everyone wants to light up the radar guns

I still don't really understand. "Everyone knows hitting the ball harder will most likely result in more hits"... so players are swinging harder so that they hit the ball harder so that they get more hits. They're not trying to light up the radar gun; they're trying to do what's more likely to get them on base.

It results in less contact, but it also results in way more quality contact.

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 12:15 am 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
blueviper wrote:

I still don't really understand. "Everyone knows hitting the ball harder will most likely result in more hits"... so players are swinging harder so that they hit the ball harder so that they get more hits. They're not trying to light up the radar gun; they're trying to do what's more likely to get them on base.

It results in less contact, but it also results in way more quality contact.

You must have been a big fan of the Brewers Astros game last night then? with something like 80 combined strike outs and a handful of homers :D

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 3:38 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

so defensive assists are way down

PostPosted: Fri June 14, 2019 5:21 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Tokyo, Monterrey, Omaha. Where in the world will these amazing baseball teams go next? The moon?!

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 8:41 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Cavan Biggio kind of looks like verb.

PostPosted: Sat June 15, 2019 8:48 pm 
The Master

washing machine wrote:
Cavan Biggio kind of looks like verb.

good call

PostPosted: Sun June 16, 2019 1:32 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Reports say Yankees trade for Edwin Encarnacion.

PostPosted: Mon June 17, 2019 9:57 am 
Rank This Poster

rick malone wrote:
Reports say Yankees trade for Edwin Encarnacion.

Gross.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 5:56 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Lol @ Tampa

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 6:01 pm 
Poster of the Year

lol

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 7:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 7:36 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

:haha:

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 7:38 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

wtf

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 7:40 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

If anyone can photoshop him into a Rays shirt, ruddo will make you a mod.

Last edited by Simple Torture on Thu June 20, 2019 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 7:41 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

is that real? really?

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 7:41 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

doug rr wrote:
is that real? really?

being a mod? no. Splitting time with Montreal? yes.

PostPosted: Thu June 20, 2019 7:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

RIP baseball...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14597 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 567, 568, 569, 570, 571, 572, 573 ... 730  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports