The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 730  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 6:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Holy shit, there are actual people who are against pitch clocks?

This doesn't even qualify as tinkering with the rules of the game. It's just telling guys they can wander around for 30 seconds every time they throw a pitch.

If it's no big deal and wont change anything why is it so imperative that it happen?

because it's painful to watch some pitchers take 50-60 seconds between pitches

I think mound visits are a far bigger time consumer, and baseball doesnt have clocks. That's one of the best things about baseball, the game resolves of itself. There is no running out the clock, this will be opening the door to much more significant changes and in a decade baseball, like the NFL, will be an entirely different game and not for the good.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 7:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

numbers wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

This doesn't even qualify as tinkering with the rules of the game. It's just telling guys they can wander around for 30 seconds every time they throw a pitch.

If it's no big deal and wont change anything why is it so imperative that it happen?

I think mound visits are a far bigger time consumer, and baseball doesnt have clocks. That's one of the best things about baseball, the game resolves of itself. There is no running out the clock, this will be opening the door to much more significant changes and in a decade baseball, like the NFL, will be an entirely different game and not for the good.

the argument against change based on tradition doesn't address problems though.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 7:28 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

Did you see the idea they're trying in some low minor leagues? Start any extra innings with a runner automatically on second.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 7:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
numbers wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

While I have no problem with limiting mound visits as well, it's nowhere near as big a time consumer. The average number of pitches in a baseball game is just under 300. If you trim just THREE seconds off the average time between pitches, you shorten the games by about 15 minutes. You think catcher's spend more than 15 minutes per game out talking to the pitcher?

There's still no running out the clock in baseball, and this doesn't open the door to any other changes. You don't ignore a good idea because you're afraid someday someone else may come up with a bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 7:49 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:

I didn't say it won't change anything, I said it won't change the rules of the game. The only thing it will change is that it'll remove a few minutes of watching a pitcher wander around killing time.

Here's a silly little hypothetical: a new player comes into the league with an extreme Garciaparra-esque between-pitch habit where he has to untie and re-tie his shoes between each pitch. Cool?

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 8:08 pm 
AnalLog

The Argonaut wrote:
Did you see the idea they're trying in some low minor leagues? Start any extra innings with a runner automatically on second.

The WBC does it starting in the 11th inning.
Most little league tournaments I've coached do it after 7 or, the time limit is up (but in those cases its because you don't want to back up all the games. I actually saw a little league game go 13 innings last year? every inning from the 7th on started 1st and 2nd, with 1 out. was 3 innings BOTH teams scored, it was actually pretty exciting.)

I'd be mixed on MLB doing anything like that? Yeah it could help save bullpens during the regular season... but.

The clock is just a stupid idea, do I wish all pitchers were like Roy Oswalt, or Ben Sheets, of course. Pitching changes, mound visits could be trimmed down way faster. 2 people change the channel between pitches, 200 people change it during commercials.

PostPosted: Fri March 10, 2017 9:04 pm 
Poster of the Year

numbers wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

PostPosted: Sat March 11, 2017 8:25 pm 
AnalLog

Chris_H_2 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

integrity of the game young whippersnapper, integrity of the game

fuck that, get your ass on the mound and pitch

PostPosted: Sat March 11, 2017 11:11 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

MattA75 wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

integrity of the game young whippersnapper, integrity of the game

fuck that, get your ass on the mound and pitch

get off my lawn

PostPosted: Sun March 12, 2017 6:11 am 
AnalLog

Just from watching the WBC games, I think the game speed if fine. Korea, Japan, Chinese Taipei, and Cuba are mostly non MLB players, and theyre playing at the same speed as the MLB players. Its the speed the game as settled into.

and these games have been amazing. outside of China getting blown out, the rest of them have all been pretty damn exciting

PostPosted: Sun March 12, 2017 6:59 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Take it to the WBC thread, 'TIGERmaN.

PostPosted: Sun March 12, 2017 8:41 pm 
AnalLog

washing machine wrote:
Take it to the WBC thread, 'TIGERmaN.

if you aint watching the WBC, you aint a MLB fan!

Japan and Netherlands going 11 innings last night
Colombia taking the DR into extra innings (it still going right now) which included a play at the plate to end the 9th.

just great games going on right now all over

PostPosted: Fri March 24, 2017 5:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Less than a week to go until I take in the sights and sounds of an Astros exhibition opener in the Crawford boxes. Going to be weird not seeing Tal's Hill in center this season. You're welcome, MLB.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2017 2:22 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

http://www.thescore.com/news/1263140

Agent: Moncada has eaten up to 85 Twinkies in a week

Don't let the perfectly sculpted body fool you, folks: Yoan Moncada's diet is much worse than yours.

In an ESPN profile published Thursday, Moncada's agent revealed to Eli Saslow that his highly touted client has been known to crush as many as 85 Twinkies - those irresistible, cream-filled sponge cakes - in a single week, sometimes downing more than 10 in a single sitting (despite efforts from his former employer, the Boston Red Sox, to counsel him on diet and nutrition).

That may sound impressive, putting away an average of more than a dozen Twinkies daily, but according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, Moncada's appetite for those calorie-dense delights is even more insatiable than that: back in September, sources close to the 21-year-old prospect confirmed that Moncada once ate 225 Twinkies in a seven-day span.

Still, his questionable dietary habits haven't diminished his athleticism, as Moncada - acquired by the Chicago White Sox in the December blockbuster that sent Chris Sale to Boston - is widely considered a plus-plus runner and has stolen 94 bases (in 109 tries) over 187 minor-league games.

PostPosted: Sat March 25, 2017 4:29 pm 
AnalLog

Simple Torture wrote:
http://www.thescore.com/news/1263140

Agent: Moncada has eaten up to 85 Twinkies in a week

Don't let the perfectly sculpted body fool you, folks: Yoan Moncada's diet is much worse than yours.

In an ESPN profile published Thursday, Moncada's agent revealed to Eli Saslow that his highly touted client has been known to crush as many as 85 Twinkies - those irresistible, cream-filled sponge cakes - in a single week, sometimes downing more than 10 in a single sitting (despite efforts from his former employer, the Boston Red Sox, to counsel him on diet and nutrition).

That may sound impressive, putting away an average of more than a dozen Twinkies daily, but according to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, Moncada's appetite for those calorie-dense delights is even more insatiable than that: back in September, sources close to the 21-year-old prospect confirmed that Moncada once ate 225 Twinkies in a seven-day span.

Still, his questionable dietary habits haven't diminished his athleticism, as Moncada - acquired by the Chicago White Sox in the December blockbuster that sent Chris Sale to Boston - is widely considered a plus-plus runner and has stolen 94 bases (in 109 tries) over 187 minor-league games.

Hey, Darrel Green always said the secret to his speed was tootsie rolls, he even kept a roll in his socks during games. and during big games, it was a king size roll. :haha:

PostPosted: Mon March 27, 2017 4:21 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Today's the 15th anniversary of Randy Johnson accidently turning a pigeon into an explosion of feathers.

PostPosted: Sat April 01, 2017 12:13 pm 
The Master

PostPosted: Sat April 01, 2017 4:17 pm 
Gone

The cubs oversaturation is going to be tough to endure. It already has been really.

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2017 5:43 pm 
mXn

Let's get it on.

Yankees suck.

PostPosted: Sun April 02, 2017 7:27 pm 
The Master

javy getting the start at 2B tonight, nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 445, 446, 447, 448, 449, 450, 451 ... 730  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports