The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632 ... 730  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 4:32 am 
Mind Your Tanners

washing machine wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Last week I got kicked out of my long-standing Astros group text for theorizing that win or lose, LA will be remembered as the most dominant team of the late 2010's.

For the first third of a season?

NLCS 4 out of the last 5 years
WS 3 out of the last 5 years
WS win tonight?
Truncated season asterisk < cheating asterisk

Total domination. Hate to see it as an Astros fan but there it is.

I do think this is correct, bolstered by having Kershaw as the de-facto best pitcher of his era. Dodgers also have the most regular season and playoff wins since 2014.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 4:33 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Bammer wrote:
Mickey wrote:
Just so we're all clear this season doesn't count and never did.

I can get on board with this

Mariners have only missed the playoffs for 19 seasons now.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 4:47 am 
mXn

Mickey wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Last week I got kicked out of my long-standing Astros group text for theorizing that win or lose, LA will be remembered as the most dominant team of the late 2010's.

For the first third of a season?

NLCS 4 out of the last 5 years
WS 3 out of the last 5 years
WS win tonight?
Truncated season asterisk < cheating asterisk

Total domination. Hate to see it as an Astros fan but there it is.

I do think this is correct, bolstered by having Kershaw as the de-facto best pitcher of his era. Dodgers also have the most regular season and playoff wins since 2014.

Y’know if it weren’t for the Cheatin’ ‘Stros, your Seattle Mariners would have made the wild card twice. TWICE!

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 4:53 am 
Broken Tamborine

Best thing about game 6 was Not For You playing at the Ray's radio broadcast intro during the 2nd inning.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 5:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I think the best thing will be the entire Dodger team getting covid from that leprechaun freak who is currently on the field

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 1:40 pm 
The Master

Reportedly, Turner tested positive the day before the game, was advised not to play, and played anyway. Why was he allowed to play at all? What the actual fuck.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 2:10 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Condolences to Mickey, Hulk Hogan, and the one Nasty Boy who also goes to Rays games.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 3:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

We were just happy to be there.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 3:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

But I will never forgive Kevin Cash, even if we probably would have eaten shit in game seven against Buehler anyway.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 5:33 pm 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
tl; dr

But if it makes you feel any better the devil rays suck and were lucky to get so far in this fluke season.

I think he was riffing on a few posts Electromatic made during the Braves losing their playoff series.

They look to be copy/pastes of the same posts ,but with TB instead :)

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 6:15 pm 
mXn

blueviper wrote:
Bammer wrote:
tl; dr

But if it makes you feel any better the devil rays suck and were lucky to get so far in this fluke season.

I think he was riffing on a few posts Electromatic made during the Braves losing their playoff series.

They look to be copy/pastes of the same posts ,but with TB instead :)

That’s actually pretty fucking funny.

Respect, Mickey.

PostPosted: Wed October 28, 2020 6:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

Mickey wrote:
I will not be calmed. The organization loses, and immediately, EVERY SINGLE TIME, starts talking about in what such a great place they are in with such a bright future. I get positive guy maybe 4 months from now, I'm practical. Today is not that day. The next 4 months they should be angry, they aren't even angry now. Getting to that point is rare for most organizations and they yet again found ways to blow it rather than finding a way to win.

You were up 1-0 in the 5th again, and blew your shot AGAIN,

It's 2008 again, oh the Baby Rays, what a cute story, they have such a good young corps. No actually, No they don't. They aren't' better than the Dodgers and they aren't trying to be. They're just happy to be there. If you're just happy to be there then get the hell out of professional sports.

The Rays have been dominating the Baltimore Orioles for several years now, they can place third in a division and win the wild card game, THAT team just beat the Dodgers and won a World Series. The Rays are good enough to win and they crap the bed every single time. Kevin Cash is sucks, Choi and Adames Hunter Renfroeing the basepaths. If you want home runs over anything else and you are into analytics great. The Rays swing at bad pitches like its their freaking job. They are a stupid baseball team. Getting to the WS is nothing to celebrate. When you're this good youre SUPPOSED to be the Toronto Blue Jays, you're SUPPOSED to beat the Yanees. YOU WERE UP 1-0. They don't have a bright future, they don't have a damn thing.

That Kevin Cash and Hunter Renfroe would even fix their mouth to talk about something that would happen next year when NOTHING is guaranteed is infuriating. You had it in front of you AGAIN, and you didn't make plays AGAIN. The manager should literally be distraught over that, not happy about some damn rookies pitching all of whom will probably have ligament replacement by April. I don't care how hard you're going to work this offseason, you're supposed to, it's your job. If I care too much, it's because they don't care at all. Brett Philips talking about how happy he is..... they're just happy to be there. I'm supposed to be happy they found a way to win not one but three post season series for the first time since 2008, in a year when they lost all but one planned starter from their rotation but in all those failures is this one. Yet again when it mattered, they couldn't do basic things, they couldn't score runs, and they couldn't throw strikes. This is who they are at the end always.

If you want to be happy about how much you rallied, fine, but damnit man, acknowledge what just happened AGAIN to a club that is almost entirely known for postseason failures. You should be upset today. Not happy to be there.

Oh the Dodgers are a great team, yes, yes they are, and they're expensive and somehow they also find ways to lose in the postseason considering they haven't won since about fifteen minutes ago.

Just roll over they're better than you on paper i guess.

Cheers, Mickey

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 11:49 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Mickey wrote:
But I will never forgive Kevin Cash, even if we probably would have eaten shit in game seven against Buehler anyway.

Cant blame Cash for following orders.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 2:38 pm 
The Master

should we assume turner will release a statement today?

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 3:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

numbers wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Definitely my favorite new conspiracy theory.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 7:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

Mickey wrote:
numbers wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Is the conspiracy that he's just following orders from upper management? That's the new thing in Toronto, too. Montoyo spent all year making dumbass decisions that weren't supported by any stat, then as soon as he made a couple modern, analytical moves, all the "He doesn't actually run the team and he's just a figurehead for management!" stuff started.

I'm pretty sure every old-school baseball fan of every team uses it to emphasize that nerds are ruining baseball by pretending it's just a select group of guys in suits supporting these moves instead of admitting that it's the way baseball is moving across the board.

It's especially hilarious with the Rays, though. Their analytics department has been miles ahead of the rest of the league for the last decade, and it's probably the biggest reason they've been so good despite being so cheap. Yet people seem to think because they haven't won it all yet and because this one specific example backfired on them that analytics is suddenly to blame for everyone's struggles.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 7:10 pm 
mXn

philpritchard wrote:
Mickey wrote:
numbers wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Is the conspiracy that he's just following orders from upper management? That's the new thing in Toronto, too. Montoyo spent all year making dumbass decisions that weren't supported by any stat, then as soon as he made a couple modern, analytical moves, all the "He doesn't actually run the team and he's just a figurehead for management!" stuff started.

I'm pretty sure every old-school baseball fan of every team uses it to emphasize that nerds are ruining baseball by pretending it's just a select group of guys in suits supporting these moves instead of admitting that it's the way baseball is moving across the board.

It's especially hilarious with the Rays, though. Their analytics department has been miles ahead of the rest of the league for the last decade, and it's probably the biggest reason they've been so good despite being so cheap. Yet people seem to think because they haven't won it all yet and because this one specific example backfired on them that analytics is suddenly to blame for everyone's struggles.

So ... uhh... the conspiracy isn’t “let LA win”?

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 7:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

What? No the conspiracy theory is that Cash pulled Snell because they knew the Dodgers had a positive COVID test and MLB wanted to end the WS without any delays. Timeline doesn't work at all but it's a fun tinfoil hat experience.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 7:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
Mickey wrote:
numbers wrote:
Mickey wrote:

They haven’t won it all because they are welfare queens, but I don’t think it’s a “conspiracy” to say things like this Snell early lift are out of Cash’s hands.

PostPosted: Thu October 29, 2020 7:39 pm 
mXn

Mickey wrote:
What? No the conspiracy theory is that Cash pulled Snell because they knew the Dodgers had a positive COVID test and MLB wanted to end the WS without any delays. Timeline doesn't work at all but it's a fun tinfoil hat experience.

That works, too.

#snellgate
#cashgate

#neitherofthoseareverycatchy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14595 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 626, 627, 628, 629, 630, 631, 632 ... 730  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports