The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 729  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sat September 16, 2017 1:34 am 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
MadTIGERmaN wrote:
PHATJ wrote:
Big walk off HR by Eddie Rosario tonight. He's turned into a really good (and clutch) player. The Twins needed the win to stay 2 up on the Angels for the second wild card. Being in the playoff chase with this club has been tons of fun to watch. I just wish they still had Brandan Kinsler at the back end of the bullpen.

And Holy Hell, Cleveland. 21 wins in a row is insane.

I feel the same way about the Brewers (and I can even say I wish we still had Kinsler). This team is fun to watch with its cast of no names. Hell they've been using September call ups as starters in a playoff run.

Heck of a season for the Brew Crew indeed. The difference with the Twins is that this should be just the beginning for an extremely talented and young team.

Oh, and we have Byron Buxton. He just hit another walk off home run for the Twins tonight. And let's not forget that Sano has been out for the last three weeks. He'll be back before the post season and this lineup (which has been mashing all second half) gets that much better. I'm not saying they'll do much in the postseason this year (if they make it) but the future is very bright.

I heard it was Molitor who ironed Buxtons swing out just before he started this hot streak (ditched a leg kick / toe tap, for the more Molitoresque no stride)
The thing that's crazy with the Brewers, Braun, the loan real Veteran of the Brewers, has only played in 89 of 146 games. A free agent from Korea, a couple of players picked up in trades, a waiver claim, and a super utility (Hernan Perez might be the team MVP just for his versatility) player leading a bunch of kids. Gotta love it.

I teach with a guy who has worked with the organization for years. He told me this on our first day back this fall.

PostPosted: Fri September 22, 2017 1:50 pm 
The Master

seems every time i tune into a brewers game, they blow a late lead. :gomez:

maybe i should go blackout the rest of the reg season.

PostPosted: Fri September 22, 2017 7:43 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Twins now have a 2.5 game lead for the second AL Wild Card and they play six of their final nine games against Detroit. Things are looking pretty good to make the playoff game. Too bad that game is going to be in NY where the Twins get their shit pushed in relentlessly. :gomez:

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 12:09 am 
Poster of the Year

Last edited by Norris on Sat September 23, 2017 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 1:48 am 
AnalLog

PHATJ wrote:
Twins now have a 2.5 game lead for the second AL Wild Card and they play six of their final nine games against Detroit. Things are looking pretty good to make the playoff game. Too bad that game is going to be in NY where the Twins get their shit pushed in relentlessly. :gomez:

Brewers / Twins would be such a fun World Series... for everyone in Minnesota and Wisconsin LOL. The rest of the country would probably tune out.

That, and theres no way the Brewers with Johnny Wholestaff, and T.B. Determined in the starting rotation theres no way theyre making it that far.

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 5:25 am 

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

Brewers / Twins would be such a fun World Series... for everyone in Minnesota and Wisconsin LOL. The rest of the country would probably tune out.

That, and theres no way the Brewers with Johnny Wholestaff, and T.B. Determined in the starting rotation theres no way theyre making it that far.

Brewers v Twins would be pretty awesome. It ain't gonna happen, but it would be great.

I think it's pretty much certain at this point that Miguel Sanó isn't going to play again this year. And with his injury and the trade or Brandon Kinsler this team probably comes up short (even if they win the Wild Card game). With those guys I may feel entirely differently. As is, this has been an unexpectedly successful season and I really think the nucleus is there for this team to be a legit contender for many years. I'd love to see them target a top flight starter in the offseason. They may be one excellent starter away from being a 95 win team.

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 10:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:

The Yankee broadcast reaction is pretty great.

"Not sure why the Jays are heading off the field... they don't seem to realize there are only two out."

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 12:34 am 
Champion of RM

So every team in the AL with a win % >= .500 will make the playoffs. That's NBA-esque. I don't dig it.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 9:38 am 

I'm just happy that my favorite club is one of the few good teams this year.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 4:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

CopperTom wrote:
So every team in the AL with a win % >= .500 will make the playoffs. That's NBA-esque. I don't dig it.

The AL doesn't have the same pile of garbage at the bottom that the NL has, so it makes sense that more teams are bunched together around the middle.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 4:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Red Sox blowing this fucking thing.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 6:50 pm 

They're still 3 up with what, five games to play? They aren't blowing that lead.

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 6:55 pm 
Poster of the Year

PHATJ wrote:
They aren't blowing that lead.

people need to stop saying that

PostPosted: Wed September 27, 2017 8:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

Meh. The Jays just took two of three against the Yankees to hurt their chances, now they're beating up on the Red Sox to get the Yankees back in it, then they're going to beat up on the Yankees again over the weekend and it'll all be back the way it was a week ago.

Playing spoiler is way more fun when you like one of the teams involved.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 5:25 am 

The Twins officially win the AL Wild Card spot. I'm super excited.

"After losing 103 games last season, the Twins have to go down as one of the most unlikely playoff teams ever. Indeed, no team has ever lost that many games and made the playoffs the following season (the 1991 Braves, 1999 Diamondbacks and 2011 Diamondbacks made it after losing 97 games the previous season). Sure, they benefited from a weak AL wild-card race, but their offense took over in August and averaged 6.02 runs per game these final two months, most in the majors." - David Schoenfield

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 1:12 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

The AL doesn't have the same pile of garbage at the bottom that the NL has, so it makes sense that more teams are bunched together around the middle.

SF - 62/97 = .390
Det - 62/96 = .392
Philly - 64/95 = .403
Chi Sox - 65/93 = .411

That's your bottom 4 bottom feeders, I'd say the NL has more mediocre teams than the AL.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 2:54 pm 
Rank This Poster

PHATJ wrote:

"After losing 103 games last season, the Twins have to go down as one of the most unlikely playoff teams ever. Indeed, no team has ever lost that many games and made the playoffs the following season (the 1991 Braves, 1999 Diamondbacks and 2011 Diamondbacks made it after losing 97 games the previous season). Sure, they benefited from a weak AL wild-card race, but their offense took over in August and averaged 6.02 runs per game these final two months, most in the majors." - David Schoenfield

Congrats, maybe it will be as good a Series as 91

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 3:14 pm 

Electromatic wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

It will be hard to be as good as the best WS ever, but let's hope! I'm just happy that they beat the long odds and made the postseason. I'd be thrilled if they can win the WC game, anything more than that would be awesome. It's been a fun season and a great ride.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 5:22 pm 
Rank This Poster

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
CopperTom wrote:

SF - 62/97 = .390
Det - 62/96 = .392
Philly - 64/95 = .403
Chi Sox - 65/93 = .411

That's your bottom 4 bottom feeders, I'd say the NL has more mediocre teams than the AL.

"Pile of garbage". Not just a couple crappy teams. There are eight teams with a winning percentage below .450: the four you mentioned, and the Reds, Mets, Padres, and Braves.

The NL doesn't really have a "middle tier". They have 7 good teams and 8 awful teams.

Divide the league into tiers of ten teams. The top 10 is evenly split. The middle is 7 AL/3 NL. The bottom is 3 AL/7 NL.

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2017 7:34 pm 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
PHATJ wrote:

It will be hard to be as good as the best WS ever, but let's hope! I'm just happy that they beat the long odds and made the postseason. I'd be thrilled if they can win the WC game, anything more than that would be awesome. It's been a fun season and a great ride.

I guess i should start watching baseball again :shock:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14574 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 477, 478, 479, 480, 481, 482, 483 ... 729  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports