The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 89  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 8:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42215
Location: Garbage Dump
Rangi Guy wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
My big takeaway is that Johnny Walker is the most exciting guy in the sport right now.

I'd like to see Johnny Walker in a longer fight before I'm willing to make that call. I thought Pedro Munhoz was pretty great too, and I was stocked to see Woodly lose his title

Understandable, but I didn't say he's the best in the sport - just the most exciting. The fact that we haven't seen him in a longer fight yet only adds to that for me, because I want to know what he's capable of. But his infectious charisma plus the fact that he so effortlessly and spectacularly laid out his last two opponents almost immediately is pretty exhilarating.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 9:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8567
Location: Franklin, MA
washing machine wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
So not only did Smith survive all five rounds, but Jones also threw an illegal knee?

Pretty hard to feel excited about Jones at this point.

So I'm new to this sport. Showing these fights all the time at my bar has made me not quite a fan, but certainly a casual follower.

I respected Smith for going all five rounds, but I have a big question after that knee incident. Is there anyone in the MMA world that would have actually taken the DQ way out in a fight like that? I assume stealing a win of that magnitude would have all but blackballed Smith or anyone else from the game.


The man he was fighting would have taken it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 12736
Location: Space City
numbers wrote:
washing machine wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
So not only did Smith survive all five rounds, but Jones also threw an illegal knee?

Pretty hard to feel excited about Jones at this point.

So I'm new to this sport. Showing these fights all the time at my bar has made me not quite a fan, but certainly a casual follower.

I respected Smith for going all five rounds, but I have a big question after that knee incident. Is there anyone in the MMA world that would have actually taken the DQ way out in a fight like that? I assume stealing a win of that magnitude would have all but blackballed Smith or anyone else from the game.


The man he was fighting would have taken it.

Nobody seems to like this Jones character. :haha:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 9:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42215
Location: Garbage Dump
washing machine wrote:
numbers wrote:
washing machine wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
So not only did Smith survive all five rounds, but Jones also threw an illegal knee?

Pretty hard to feel excited about Jones at this point.

So I'm new to this sport. Showing these fights all the time at my bar has made me not quite a fan, but certainly a casual follower.

I respected Smith for going all five rounds, but I have a big question after that knee incident. Is there anyone in the MMA world that would have actually taken the DQ way out in a fight like that? I assume stealing a win of that magnitude would have all but blackballed Smith or anyone else from the game.


The man he was fighting would have taken it.

Nobody seems to like this Jones character. :haha:

He got busted for doping repeatedly and he crashed his car into a pregnant woman before fleeing the scene (he did go back to get his drugs first). Pretty hard dude to like.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sun March 03, 2019 10:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 12736
Location: Space City
Oh


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 12:12 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8567
Location: Franklin, MA
Not to mention he has pissed hot for his last two fights and is just getting free passes now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 12:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42215
Location: Garbage Dump
numbers wrote:
Not to mention he has pissed hot for his last two fights and is just getting free passes now.

I’ve heard some pretty convincing arguments that these are false positives, though. The stringency of testing is absurd.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 12:24 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8567
Location: Franklin, MA
If anyone doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt, it’s Jones. Plus, doesn’t seem like they are extending these lifetime free passes to anyone else.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 3:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 1274
I was an Askern fan leading up to this fight. The dad bod, the poorly fitted dress pants and flip flops combo... dude just doesn't give a fuck -- I dig it. But disrespecting the patron saint of violence, Robbie Lawler, by taunting Dana with "is that all you've got for me?!" after winning off of a questionable reffing decision... what a douche. Fuck Askern.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 3:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 1274
washing machine wrote:
Is there anyone in the MMA world that would have actually taken the DQ way out in a fight like that?

Josh Koscheck absolutely would have. Anyone remember that guy? Haven't seen him since Woodley starched him.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 8:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 4432
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
He really should appeal.


Nevermind, he's gettin a rematch. Jump to 4:00

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Last edited by Stickman on Mon March 04, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Fri March 22, 2013 7:20 pm
Posts: 10210
Location: 41.1716° S, 174.8248° E
Stickman wrote:
He really should appeal.

He's too much of a good cunt for that though

_________________
"I really enjoy sandwiches but the other guys are so good at making sandwiches that I don't make them. Now I make sandwiches."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2019 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 4432
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Rangi Guy wrote:
Stickman wrote:
He really should appeal.

He's too much of a good cunt for that though


Doesn't have to now. Edited my post.

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 1:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 6425
Location: A Dark Place
I don't know, Dana seems pretty disingenuous there.

Myself, the announcers and the ref ALL thought he had been choked out. I realize NOW it was a bad call, but that's easy to see in hindsight.

Dana is obviously delighting in the fact that he's basically forcing Askren to rematch a fight he didn't really want in the first place.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 2:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Mind Your Tanners
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 6:44 pm
Posts: 8567
Location: Franklin, MA
Well, if Dana said it, it’s definitely happening.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 2:06 am 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Mon March 18, 2013 11:48 pm
Posts: 6425
Location: A Dark Place
I think the UFC is too big and the athletes are too good now for Dana to continue to be the sole arbiter.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2019 10:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Sun March 12, 2017 3:06 pm
Posts: 1274
So after watching this explanation by a pair of Gracies, I have changed my tune. It looks like Lawler would have been out in the next 3 to 5 seconds regardless. After all, you can be choked out (and painfully so, apparently) even if it isn't under the chin.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 10:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42215
Location: Garbage Dump
Bump

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:41 am
Posts: 4432
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Case closed on McGregor's bus incident

_________________
"I'll hold your wallet while you go fuck yourself"-David Letterman


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2019 11:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 pm
Posts: 42215
Location: Garbage Dump
Ugh, frustrating performance from Jeff Hughes. Dude just wouldn’t attack. Should have gone in for the kill after that big body shot in the first.

_________________
tree_ wrote:
I think I'm doomed to be foreverly lost in the infinite


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1773 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81 ... 89  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:26 am