The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 110  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 20, 2016 10:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Conor McGregor Takes on UFC Owners
UFC champion has a few simple requests before making a decision regarding his next career move

By Mike Bohn of Rolling Stone

First and foremost, Conor McGregor (21-3 MMA, 9-1 UFC), the UFC Lightweight champion and former Featherweight champion, wants to sit down with new UFC owners Ari Emanuel and Patrick Whitesell, who headed the $4 billion purchase of the fight promotion by WME-IMG earlier this year.

According to "The Notorious," he still hasn't spoken with the new UFC bosses since the purchase of the company was finalized in August, and that includes when he was stripped of the Featherweight title this past month.

"I want to see what their plan is because right now I don't know nobody's plan," McGregor said in an interview accepting the RTA "Sportsperson of the Year" award for 2016. "All I know is they're trying to type onto a keyboard and say, 'We're taking this belt and that belt, and we're doing this and that.' You ain't doing nothing without contacting me first. I'm ready for anything."

McGregor became the first simultaneous two-division champion in UFC history when he knocked out Eddie Alvarez in the second round at UFC 205 in November to add the 155-pound belt to his collection, which already included 145-pound gold. His two-division reign didn't last long, however, because the organization opted to take away the Featherweight strap and move forward with the division.

Jose Aldo, who was knocked out in 13 seconds by McGregor at UFC 194 in December, was promoted to champion, while an interim title fight between Max Holloway and Anthony Pettis was set for the main event of UFC 206 earlier this month. Holloway, who lost a decision to McGregor in August 2013, won the belt, meaning two fighters with losses to the brash Irishman rule the division.

McGregor said he never agreed to giving up the Featherweight belt, and in his mind he is still king of not one, but two divisions.
"Don't mind that; I'm still the two-weight world champ," McGregor said. "They can try to say what they want. They can try to put out the people that I've already destroyed. The current champion (Aldo) is a guy I KO'd in 13 seconds. The current interim champ (Holloway) is a guy I destroyed as well. Officially I don't care what nobody says. I am the two-weight world champion, and that's that."

Following his victory at UFC 205, McGregor said he would be taking some time off from the sport to support his girlfriend in the final months of her pregnancy. The couple is expecting their first child in May, and it's unlikely that McGregor will see competition anytime before then.

UFC President Dana White recently went on record stating McGregor could be out of action for up to 10 months, but that came as news to the fighter himself. McGregor said he would be ready to fight before then, but following his post-UFC 205 demand for a stake in UFC ownership, still hasn't had a realistic discussion with UFC decision-makers about what could be next.
Until that happens, White's assessment of a 10-month break could be on point, or perhaps McGregor will explore his options outside of MMA.

"I know Dana (White's) been on record like, '10 months – he's taking 10 months,'" McGregor said. "I just don't know. I'm weighing out my options. I expect conversation. I expect them to fly that jet to me. Ari (Emanuel), Patrick (Whitesell) – the new owners from WME-IMG – the guys who bought the UFC for $4 billion? I want to speak with them.

"I can go out and maybe conquer the boxing scene as well," he continued. "That's a very serious thought. That's a very serious conversation that's happening, so we'll see. I've got those wrestling guys trying to contact me, as well. I've got Hollywood trying to contact me, as well. I've got all the options. ... I'm ready for anything. I did say I was going to take a break but a Christmas break, the holidays. At least give me the holidays off. We'll see what happens in the future."

PostPosted: Sat December 24, 2016 10:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**Saturday night’s UFC on FOX card was a big hit with 3,178,000 viewers watching the main card. The FOX card was headlined by Michelle Waterson defeating Paige VanZant along with Mickey Gall submitting Sage Northcutt and the retirement fight of Urijah Faber. It is the highest number that the UFC has done on FOX since January 2014, which was headlined by Benson Henderson vs. Josh Thomson. Their last card on FOX from this past August was their lowest on the network with 1,983,000 watching the main card.

**Friday night’s Bellator 169 card from Dublin, Ireland did 643,000 viewers on Spike TV and was headlined by Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal defeating Satoshi Ishii by unanimous decision. It was Bellator highest average since September 16th, which was a card headlined by Cheick Kongo and Tony Johnson.

**The Rizin Fighting Federation has made some adjustments to their openweight Grand Prix later this month with both Wanderlei Silva and Shane Carwin out of the tournament. Muhammad “King Mo” Lawal will take the spot of Silva and fighting Mirko Cro Cop on December 29th, which is less than two-weeks removed from his three-round fight decision win over Satoshi Ishii from this past weekend in Dublin. Heath Herring will be coming out of retirement to replace Carwin and he meets Amir Aliakbari. The semi-finals and final of the Grand Prix take place on December 31st.

**Former UFC heavyweight Cody East was arrested early Monday morning in Albuquerque, New Mexico and is facing charges of aggravated battery against a household member, aggravated assault against a household member and false imprisonment, according to a report from KRQE out of New Mexico. East had previously been sentenced to three-years in prison for child abuse in 2008 and was cut by the UFC earlier this year after back-to-back knockout losses.

**On Thursday, Cris “Cyborg” Justino was flagged for a possible USADA violation and is facing up to a one-year suspension. Justino has come out with a statement and said the substance was Spironolactone, which is not a performance enhancing drug but is banned by USADA both in and out-of-competition. Justino stated it was prescribed by her doctor for therapeutic use after a brutal weight cut back in September when she fought Lina Lansberg in Brasilia. Justino was informed by her doctor that no additional steps were required with USADA in taking the prescribed drug and is now attempting to get a retroactive therapeutic use exemption. Spironolactone is a diuretic that helps with salt intake control and not allowing potassium levels to get too low in your system.

It was no secret that Justino had issues coming out of weight cut in September and it was the reason cited for Justino turning down fights on January 21st and February 11th, however when it comes to being prescribed a banned substance, even if it’s prescribed by a doctor, a fighter and his or her team should be contacting USADA themselves and getting a TUE in advance because they are still subject to out-of-competition testing. If Justino’s story is true that it’s the very purpose for having TUEs available for athletes if they medically need a prescription that is on the banned list.

In one sense, the UFC avoided a bigger problem had they booked Justino for the UFC 208 card in Brooklyn for the featherweight title instead of Holly Holm or Germaine de Randamie.

This is the second time that Justino has been flagged for a drug test. In January of 2012, it was announced she had tested positive for stanozolol after her fight with Hiroki Yamanaka in San Jose and was suspended for one-year and fined $2,500 by the California State Athletic Commission.

**In other Cyborg news, her segment from last weekend on ESPN’s Outside the Lines is online at this link and going through her weight cutting issues.

**The UFC was unable to lockdown a new opponent for Jessica Andrade and she if off next week’s UFC 207 card. As a result, the flyweight fight between Louis Smolka and Ray Borg will be the opening fight on the pay-per-view portion. The UFC had been attempting to book a fight between Andrade and Maryna Moroz but Moroz was unable to take the fight due to injury.

**The Rizin Fighting Federation has announced that 52-year old Shinobu Kandori is off of the New Year’s Eve card for her fight with Gabi Garcia. In her place will be another pro wrestler in Yumiko Hotta, who is 49 and had nine mixed martial arts fights in her lifetime. Hotta came up through All Japan Women with her debut in 1985 and working for the promotion until 2003. Her fights took place between 1995 and 2000 and then she came back in 2012 for a fight with DEEP and was submitted by Amanda Lucas (the daughter of George Lucas).

PostPosted: Thu December 29, 2016 6:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**The weigh ins for UFC 207 took place earlier today. Johnny Hendricks has missed weight and will be fined a percentage of his purse.
UFC 207 “Nunes vs. Rousey”
Main Card (10 PM ET)

Amanda Nunes (135) vs. Ronda Rousey (135)
Dominick Cruz (135) vs. Cody Garbrandt (135)
T.J. Dillashaw (136) vs. John Lineker (135.25)
Dong Hyun Kim (171) vs. Tarec Saffiedine (171)
Ray Borg (129.5)* vs. Louis Smolka (125.5)

Preliminary Card (8 PM ET, FS1)

Johny Hendricks (173.5)* vs. Neil Magny (171)
Alex Garcia (170.5) vs. Mike Pyle (170)
Antonio Carlos Junior (186) vs. Marvin Vettori (186)
Niko Price (170) vs. Brandon Thatch (170)

Preliminary Card (7:30 PM ET, UFC Fight Pass)

Tim Means (170) vs. Alex Oliveira (170.5)

**Cain Velasquez is officially out of this Friday’s UFC 207 card for his heavyweight fight with Fabricio Werdum. Velasquez announced on the conference call for the announcement of The MMAAA formation that he is scheduled to have surgery after his fight with Werdum and this led to concerns from the Nevada Athletic Commission. ESPN’s Brett Okamoto was the first to report that the NAC would not allow Velasquez to fight this Friday due to an issue with the sciatic nerve in his back, which will require an operation during the first week of January. Werdum is still hoping to find a last minute opponent to fight him this Friday. The winner of this fight would have almost certainly received the next title fight against Stipe Miocic.

**The media schedule was released for UFC 207 this week and Ronda Rousey will not be participating in any media throughout the week prior to her fight with Amanda Nunes. There is no press conference scheduled and both Nunes and Rousey are not listed for Ultimate Media Day. It is definitely an interesting precedent because no fighters love to do all the various media throughout fight week but there is a mixture of those that treat it like a hassle and others as an opportunity. There is no doubt that Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz were able to drum up significant interest for their rematch because of their press conference prior to UFC 202 in August and McGregor throwing water bottles and an energy bottle at Diaz and creating a chaotic scene that was picked up everywhere. Rousey believes that all the demands on her time were a factor in the loss to Holly Holm and doesn’t appear to be motivated by how this show does business wise. It is interesting that the UFC is not fighting Rousey on this. There are very few fighters that have this leverage with the UFC to get out of doing media (although Brock Lesnar did very little, but did do the press conference and certain media ahead of UFC 200) but if this show performs well (and it will do a very good number), it does give McGregor and the Diaz brothers the power to turn down media as well and argue it won’t affect the pay-per-view business.

**The UFC has announced that heavyweight Josh Barnett has been flagged by USADA for a possible drug test violation but did not list the substance he is being flagged for. The out-of-competition test was administered on December 9th. Barnett left the UFC in 2002 after winning the heavyweight title and then tested positive for a banned substance and led to Barnett fighting in Japan for the next six-years. Barnett failed a pre-fight drug test ahead of his fight with Fedor Emelianenko in the summer of 2009 and led to the fight and the event being cancelled and Affliction never ran another card of the cancelled show. Barnett last fought in September and submitted Andrei Arlovski.

**The UFC has announced that lightweights Lando Vannata and David Teymur will meet at UFC 209 on March 4th in Las Vegas. Vannata is coming off one of the best knockouts of the year over John Makdessi at UFC 206 earlier this month in Toronto.

**Below are the first two episodes of this week’s UFC Embedded with the second episode featuring Ronda Rousey and her first time on camera this week, including a photoshoot and recording promos for the UFC:

**During promo for UFC 207, Cody Garbrandt Storms off During Satellite Interview with Dominick Cruz

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 5:59 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Flawless Victory

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 6:06 am 
Gone

No surprise. Rousey looked fat in all the promo stuff leading up to the fight.

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 6:09 am 
Mind Your Tanners

The aggression in Nunez' face with every punch...Rhonda had no counter.

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 6:23 am 
Gone

Is it true Rousey got 3mil to get knocked out by the champion, who only got 100k?

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 6:24 am 
Gone

Stickman wrote:
The aggression in Nunez' face with every punch...Rhonda had no counter.

Her quotes after the fight were savage.

PostPosted: Sat December 31, 2016 5:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

verb_to_trust wrote:
Is it true Rousey got 3mil to get knocked out by the champion, who only got 100k?

Yes, but Nunes will also get a pct of the PPV money.

PostPosted: Sun January 01, 2017 1:17 am 
AnalLog

I'm no fan of Rousey, but that was sad to watch.

PostPosted: Sun January 01, 2017 2:35 am 
Mind Your Tanners

DANA WHITE COMES UNDER HARSH CRITICISM FOR UFC 207 PAYOUTS
Dana White is facing harsh criticism from UFC fans following the 48-second knockout of Ronda Rousey by Amanda Nunes at UFC 207. Word broke yesterday that White and the UFC were paying Ronda Rousey a cool $3 million dollars compared to Nunes’ measly $100,000 ($200,000 for the win) in a statement released by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, according to CBS Sports. Considering Amanda Nunes’ dominant victory over Rousey, UFC fans immediately took Dana White to task for the wage disparity.

The discrepancy in salaries wasn’t the only complaint people had about Dana. In an interview following the beat down, White stated that he didn’t press Rousey to do promotion for UFC 207 because he felt her record and notoriety spoke for itself. Dana was asked whether the lack of media fanfare was fair to current champion Amanda Nunes.

According to MMA Fighting, White didn’t feel he was in the wrong for the lack of promotion. “I could have spent $100 million on advertising and nobody would still have known who Amanda was,” White stated. “After tonight, everyone knows who Amanda Nunes is now, OK? Tomorrow morning, ask somebody who Amanda Nunes is, now they know. That’s why I’m the promoter and everyone else isn’t.”

Dana White’s seeming infatuation with Ronda Rousey has long been a sore spot for others in the UFC who felt Rousey was often afforded preferential treatment. White used to adamantly say that he would never allow women as fighters into the UFC but suddenly, Ronda Rousey peaked Dana’s interest and alas, a new division was built. Ronda Rousey’s dominant tenure raked in money by the billions for Dana White and the UFC and that might have prompted Dana to look the other way when it came to some of Ronda’s behavior. For instance, Rousey has refused to participate in post fight press conferences following her past two defeats and that compiled with the nearly complete media blackout for UFC 207 had some up in arms that White holds Ronda to a different standard than other fighters.

Many recount that Dana White went toe to toe with Conor McGregor this past summer when White pulled McGregor from the fight card completely when he refused to participate in pre-fight media appearances. The move was a shocking one for White to make since Dan come to rely on McGregor and Rousey to be his top PPV moneymakers.

White also appeared to treat Ronda with kid gloves following her loss to Holly Holm. At first Dana was eager to get Rousey back in the octagon as soon as possible, hoping she would return at the beginning of 2016. Many were shocked that White seemed to sit back and let Ronda do her own thing including making movies, rather than pressuring her back into promoting the UFC.

Perhaps Dana White realized he may have pushed Ronda Rousey to bite off more than she could chew in her upcoming bout with Amanda Nunes, however, as just two days prior to the fight, Dana addressed the criticism of the media blackout laying to rest any speculation that White would deal with any future divas.

“There are so many different fighters I have to deal with,” White said. “Different egos, different personalities. No, you can’t miss a press conference. But Ronda asked, from the day this fight was made — she said, ‘I’ll do press. I’ll do press leading up to the event.’ She went and did talk shows and all that stuff. This is the way she wanted it [during fight week], and I said, ‘OK,'” Dana White stated in a press conference according to ESPN, adamantly stating this was a one time thing.

What remains to be seen, however, is if Dana White will ever cave in to the fighters demands of pay equality. Just after the sale of the UFC to the WWE, White defended the pay structure. According to Fox Sports, Dana White noted that there were different levels of fighters and their worth.

“When you fight on pay-per-view and you’re a star — basically in this sport you eat what you kill. So the guys that bring in the majority of the revenue, make the majority of the revenue,” White said, defending the UFC’s payment structure.

Given that Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor have been the biggest PPV draws for the UFC, White may feel that paying them 30 times the amount of their opponents is justified. That being said, however, those who hold the title belts might have a different opinion.

PostPosted: Sun January 01, 2017 2:40 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Quote:
“I could have spent $100 million on advertising and nobody would still have known who Amanda was,” White stated. “After tonight, everyone knows who Amanda Nunes is now, OK? Tomorrow morning, ask somebody who Amanda Nunes is, now they know. That’s why I’m the promoter and everyone else isn’t.”

yep

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Sun January 01, 2017 5:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I don't see the problem with the Ronda/Nunes pay discrepancy. People bought that show to see Ronda, and what Dana said about promoting Nunes before the fight was spot on. Nunes will make significantly more money from this fight than she ever has before, and now that she has beaten Ronda she's a much bigger name that can command a much better payday.

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 1:33 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Rousey: ‘I need to take some time to reflect and think about the future’
Barry Werner
Dec 31, 2016

Ronda Rousey issued a statement a day after losing to Amanda Nunes in 48 seconds of the first round at UFC 207 Friday night.

“I want to say thank you to all of my fans who have been there for me in not only the greatest moments but in the most difficult ones,” Rousey said Saturday in a statement to ESPN . “Words cannot convey how much your love and support means to me.

“Returning to not just fighting, but winning, was my entire focus this past year. However, sometimes — even when you prepare and give everything you have and want something so badly — it doesn’t work how you planned. I take pride in seeing how far the women’s division has come in the UFC and commend all the other women who have been part of making this possible, including Amanda.

“I need to take some time to reflect and think about the future. Thank you for believing in me and understanding.”

Friday’s loss in Las Vegas was the second straight for Rousey. Her last bout in the Octagon was in November 2015, when Rousey was defeated by Holly Holm.

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 1:36 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Post fight press conference with Nunes

PostPosted: Mon January 02, 2017 11:48 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**UFC 207 will be remembered for the one-sided victory of Amanda Nunes in a fight that Ronda Rousey was never competitive in. Nunes needed only 48 seconds to stop the former bantamweight champion after Rousey was absorbing numerous blows to the head and referee Herb Dean stepped in to stop the bout. Rousey was left standing with a stunned look on her face at what had happened and never able to get into the fight. The speculation that this will be her last fight has been heightened but Rousey has yet to state if it was her final fight.

TMZ did speak with AnnMaria DeMars, the mother of Rousey, who stated that she would like to see her daughter retire because she has many talents and doesn’t need to be fighting. DeMars also wrote a blog post reacting to Friday night’s loss at UFC 207.

**The UFC 207 card was the most attended show that the UFC has run at the new T-Mobile Arena with 18,533 ahead of the attendance at UFC 200 and 202. However, the 207 card did a gate of $4,750,000, which is well below both UFC 200 ($10.7) and 202 ($7.6) so tickets were scaled down from the prior two shows at the venue. Below are the results from the show:
*Alex Oliveira and Tim Means was ruled a no contest after an illegal knee delivered by Mean at 3:33 of Round 1 – Oliveria’s knee was clearly on the mat as he absorbed a series of knees and the fight was called off. The announcers were confused about the rule but it was illegal with the knee on the mat.
*Niko Price def. Brandon Thatch by arm-triangle choke at 4:30 of Round 1 – This was Thatch’s fourth consecutive loss and could be cut at this point.
*Alex Garcia def. Mike Pyle by KO at 3:34 of Round 1 – Garcia caught him with an overhand right and Pyle was out cold.
*Antonio Carlos Jr. def. Marvin Vettori by unanimous decision (29-28 all) – Carlos Jr. won the first and third rounds.
*Neil Magny def. Johny Hendricks by unanimous decision (29-28 all) – Hendricks was able to get takedowns but did very little on top of Magny. It was even going into Round 3 and Hendricks took Magny down and was controlling on top until Magny went for a triangle in the final 0:20 and landed a number of elbows and in my opinion was enough to clinch the third round and the fight.
*Ray Borg def. Louis Smolka by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26) – Borg missed weight at 129.5 pounds but out grappled Smolka all fight long and easily won each round.
*Dong Hyun Kim def. Tarec Saffiedine by split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28) – this wasn’t a good fight.
*T.J. Dillashaw def. John Lineker by unanimous decision (30-26 all) – Dillashaw was excellent with his takedowns and tons of pressure on top with the second round being a 10-8. After the fight, he made his case for the next bantamweight title shot and he has to be the next guy.
*Cody Garbrandt def. Dominick Cruz by unanimous decision (48-46, 48-46, 48-47) to win the bantamweight title – Garbrandt was tremendous in the fight by timing his strikes and Cruz entering and being caught. It is rare you’ll ever see Cruz hit this often and he explained after the fight that Garbrandt was controlling the range and that Cruz’s output was higher but that also opened him up more to Garbrandt’s strikes. Garbrandt answers numerous questions and will also surely fight Dillashaw next.
*Amanda Nunes def. Ronda Rousey by TKO at 0:48 of Round 1 to retain the women’s bantamweight title

**The Fight of the Night bonus went to Cody Garbrandt and Dominick Cruz and the Performance bonuses went to Amanda Nunes and Alex Garcia for an additional $50,000 to each fighter.

**Here are the results from the World Series of Fighting 34 card on Saturday afternoon from The Theatre at Madison Square Garden with the main card airing on NBC:
*Tom Marcellino def. Matt Denning by guillotine at 3:30 of Round 1
*Andre Harrison def. Bruce Boyington by rear-naked choke at 1:54 of Round 1
*Bruno Santos def. Vagab Vagabov by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
*Shane Kruchten def. Jeremy Mahon by unanimous decision (29-28 all)
*Smealinho Rama def. Jake Heun by TKO at 3:30 of Round 2
*David Branch def. Louis Taylor by rear-naked choke at 2:00 of Round 5 to retain the WSOF middleweight title
*Caio Alencar def. Jared Rosholt by KO at 1:17 of Round 1
*Marlon Moraes def. Josenaldo Silva by TKO (knee injury) at 2:30 of Round 1 – Moraes was dominating the fight with his strikes and Silva’s knee went out and waved it off himself
*Jon Fitch def. Jake Shields by unanimous decision (49-46 all) to retain the WSOF welterweight title – Fitch said after the fight that this may be his last fight and said he got a “funny reading” on a brain MRI before the fight.
*Justin Gaethje def. Luiz Firmino by TKO due to a doctor’s stoppage at 5:00 of Round 3 to retain the WSOF lightweight title – Firmino’s right eye was swollen badly and they ruled he could not see properly out of it and stopped the fight. This was a great fight and if Gaethje is back, he will almost surely be matched with Firmino again.

**The Christmas Eve airing of select fights from UFC 206 earlier in the month was a massive success on FOX. The final average was 4,700,000 watching the Christmas Eve, which included the fight-of-the-year contender between Cub Swanson and Dooho Choi. Dana White commented on it earlier this week and stated that they will likely continue with this tradition on Christmas Eve with fights from the past year. There could be a larger opportunity of airing big pay-per-view fights a month after they happen on FOX, similar to what HBO does with their pay-per-view fights and replaying them the following week. For a year in which the UFC wants as many eyeballs on FOX as possible as they get set for a contract renegotiation in 2018, the idea of putting a Ronda Rousey or Conor McGregor fight on FOX on a month delay is an experiment worth trying without any risk of hurting the pay-per-view.

**The UFC has released the first episode for the new season of “Lookin’ for a Fight” with UFC president Dana White, Matt Serra and Din Thomas:

PostPosted: Tue January 10, 2017 7:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**Dave Meltzer reported in this week’s Wrestling Observer Newsletter that the early estimate for UFC 207 is 1,100,000 pay-per-view buys, which is a tremendous number given the show was on a Friday night and Ronda Rousey didn’t do any promotion for the card. The best comparison would be the UFC 141 number from December 2011, which was the last pay-per-view they ran on a Friday night with Brock Lesnar vs. Alistair Overeem and that card did 535,000 buys, which was way below Lesnar standards. It’s hard to estimate what this show would have done if it was on a Saturday and if Rousey promoted the card but the coverage was drastically affected because Rousey was still the focus of so much of the media and her decision not to do media was a big story. The bigger question is whether Amanda Nunes will receive a similar increase in popularity as Holly Holm did when she defeated Ronda Rousey in November 2015.

**A heavyweight fight between Alistair Overeem and Mark Hunt is now official for UFC 209 on March 4th in Las Vegas. Hunt ultimately dropped his demand of having a clause in the contract where his opponent would forfeit their purse to Hunt if they failed a drug test. Hunt spoke to “Stuff” out of New Zealand and said that in the end he was locked into a contract and needs to fight to feed his family. Hunt is also 42 years of age and his window is closing so holding out wasn’t going to be on his side. It is Hunt’s first fight since the loss to Brock Lesnar at UFC 200, which was changed to a no contest after Lesnar failed his drug test for clomiphene and has been suspended for one-year by both the NAC and USADA. Overeem last fought at UFC 203, where he was stopped by heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic in opening round of their championship bout.

**Ariel Helwani at MMA Fighting has reported that light heavyweights Mauricio “Shogun” Rua and Gian Villante will meet at the UFC Fight Night card in Fortaleza, Brazil on Saturday March 11th. The card is headlined by Vitor Belfort and Kelvin Gastelum in a middleweight fight.

**Newsday reports that a middleweight fight between Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza and Tim Boestch is set for UFC 208 on February 11th in Brooklyn, New York at the Barclays Center.

**Mike Goldberg released a statement thanking all of the people that have reached out to him over the past week and reflecting on his time as the voice of the UFC. Goldberg’s final broadcast was last Friday at UFC 207 alongside Joe Rogan and he didn’t make mention of his departure until the closing credits where he did thank a number of colleagues and stated that they would be “friends for life”. The UFC has received criticism for not providing a proper farewell given that Goldberg has been with the company since 1997 and stayed loyal to the company in 2005 when he was given a major offer by the WWE to no-show a Fight Night card in October 2005 and show up on Raw as the replacement for Jim Ross.

**Bellator has announced that they will following suit and introducing their own women’s featherweight title and will do so at Bellator 174 on Friday March 3rd. The title will be awarded to the winner between Marloes Coenen and Julia Budd on that date in Thackerville, Oklahoma with the card airing on Spike TV.

**Below is the countdown special for this Sunday’s UFC Fight Night main event between Yair Rodriguez and BJ Penn in Phoenix, Arizona:

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 3:13 am 
Mind Your Tanners

So...... Mark Hunt is suing the Ultimate Fighting Championship, its president Dana White, and his former opponent Brock Lesnar.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/88324470/kiwi-mma-fighter-mark-hunt-sues-the-ufc-its-president-and-former-opponent-brock-lesnar

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 3:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That's gonna make things awkward at the dinner table.

PostPosted: Wed January 11, 2017 3:46 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Hunt has valid points and he has every right to be pissed, but this lawsuit is going nowhere.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 110  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports