The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dear Terrorists
PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 3:19 am 
Site Admin

Good stuff, thanks for the info. BTW, it's pretty obvious why but I (and I'm sure other Broncos fans) will be rooting big time for the Bills over the next two games. And playing around with playoff scenarios, it also looks like Bills fans will want the Broncos to beat the Bengals this time next week.

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 4:40 am 
slower than 82% of US

Green Habit wrote:
Good stuff, thanks for the info. BTW, it's pretty obvious why but I (and I'm sure other Broncos fans) will be rooting big time for the Bills over the next two games. And playing around with playoff scenarios, it also looks like Bills fans will want the Broncos to beat the Bengals this time next week.

It's something like:
-Bills win out (hard to do against New England, even if they have nothing to play for)
-Bengals lose out
-San Diego goes 1-1
-KC goes 1-1

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 4:41 am 
slower than 82% of US

I think other scenarios can play out, but I think that was the easiest to figure out using the playoff machine

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Admin

Mecca wrote:
I think other scenarios can play out, but I think that was the easiest to figure out using the playoff machine
Yeah, from what I've read it's basically "root for the Steelers, Broncos, and 49ers" the next two weeks.

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 1:16 pm 
See you in another life, brother

You guys are an average QB away from being really good and a good QB away from being great.

PostPosted: Thu December 18, 2014 4:08 am 
slower than 82% of US

4/5 wrote:
You guys are an average QB away from being really good and a good QB away from being great.

tale as old as time...

PostPosted: Sun December 28, 2014 8:52 pm 
slower than 82% of US

beating the Patriots never felt so empty

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 11:26 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 11:39 pm 
slower than 82% of US

this has been the strangest Bills season

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 11:48 pm 
RM Elitist

Mecca wrote:

5-0 in the NFC North!

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 11:50 pm 
slower than 82% of US

@SkitchP wrote:
Mecca wrote:

5-0 in the NFC North!

I wouldn't be surprised if Schwartz is promoted to HC

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 11:50 pm 
RM Elitist

Mecca wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
Mecca wrote:

5-0 in the NFC North!

0-5 in the NFC North!

PostPosted: Wed December 31, 2014 11:58 pm 
slower than 82% of US

@SkitchP wrote:
Mecca wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
Mecca wrote:

5-0 in the NFC North!

0-5 in the NFC North!

ha! at least that wouldn't happen for 4 more years and there will be a new HC by then

PostPosted: Thu January 01, 2015 5:28 am 
slower than 82% of US

Something that has been coming up recently is the Bills decision to trade up to take Sammy Watkins this past draft. In hindsight, it looks like giving up a 1st in the 2015 draft could have been overpaying, when they easily could've picked Odell Beckham Jr, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews or Jarvis Landry. I've seen some irksome Buffalo reporters point this out, forgetting that hindsight is 20/20. Also, these guys are all rookies and Beckham has a Super Bowl winning QB throwing to him, while Watkins had Kyle Orton. Watkins still figures to be a great player for years to come.

Reporters will then point out that the Bills don't have a set QB of the future and now have no 1st round pick, but I don't think they valued the 2015 1st round all that much. Watkins was their guy and what they saw as a sure thing, probably expecting 2015 to be thin on QB talent (if they needed one at all) and likely that it would be a late pick, which it ended up being.

With only EJ Manuel and a practice squad QB on the roster, it does kinda look bleak without that 1st round pick. Manuel will likely get one season to show he has what it takes and despite showing some flashes, he could just as easily be a career backup.

Mariotta and Winston are likely the only QBs in the draft that would go in the 1st round and Winston could be a late 1st rounder. I'm not sold on Winston being an NFL QB either. So is the 1st round even their answer at QB with such a thin class likely to be gone by time they have their 1st pick? Not to beat the drum of the Russell Wilsons and Tom Bradys of the world, but since when is the 1st round the answer?

2000:
-Chad Pennington - respectable career, but cursed with a soft arm.

2001:
-Michael Vick - before the dogfighting he was a good QB and worthy of a 1st overall pick

2002:
-David Carr - cursed with being on bad teams and being sacked all the time, he never really developed into a great QB. Had flashes of being "the guy" but just never found it
-Joey Harrington - had mild success but was never good enough outside of the piano bar
-Patrick Ramsey - lol

2003:
-Carson Palmer - Good QB, felt like he gave up on the Bengals, some injuries but the guy is someone you could feel comfortable starting with
-Byron Leftwich - career backup
-Kyle Boller - Backup
-Rex Grossman - never stayed healthy and seemed like a precursor to Jay Cutler's play in chicago when he was healthy

2004:
-Eli Manning - Rocky start, but grew into a QB good enough to win Super Bowls
-Philip Rivers - Despite his attitude and throwing motion, he has statistically been a good QB
-Ben Roethlisberger - Strong arm, strong legs, wins games
-JP Losman - Not going there

2005:
-Alex Smith - didn't find much success until he was put into a game manager role after being yanked a few times. still not considered worthy of a 1st overall pick
-Aaron Rodgers - exactly the type of player that you want from the 1st round, probably benefited from essentially red-shirting behind Favre
-Jason Campbell- career backup

2006:
-Vince Young - never really found it
-Matt Leinart - maybe not entirely given his fair shot, but never gave anyone a reason to
-Jay Cutler - lots of talent, lots of mistakes. Might go down as wasted talent

2007:
-JaMarcus Russell - classic bust
-Brady Quinn - good in college, not an NFL qb

2008:
-Matt Ryan - good QB, exactly what you expect out of a 1st rounder
-Joe Flacco- If I remember correctly, it was a surprise he went in the 1st round, but he's another guy you want from a 1st round pick

2009:
-Matthew Stafford - I'm probably biased, but I think he's a great QB, prone to some gunslinger mistakes though.
-Mark Sanchez - likely a career backup despite some success in the Eagles system
-Josh Freeman - loads of potential, hardly ever harvested it

2010:
-Sam Bradford - is never healthy, has looked okay at times, but not 1st overall worthy
-Tim Tebow - sideshow attraction

2011:
-Cam Newton - has looked good enough to be 1st overall, poised for a productive career
-Jake Locker - likely a backup
-Blaine Gabbert - backup
-Christian Ponder - backup

2012:
-Andrew Luck - great QB, what you want out of 1st overall
-RG III - book is still out on him. looked good before his knee injury
-Ryan Tannehill - probably going to be the guy in Miami for awhile
-Brandon Weeden - not fair to use him as an example, should have never been picked in the 1st

2013:
-EJ Manuel - people were surprised he was the 1st QB off the board. showed some promise as a rookie, but got hurt. bad footwork and benched. Probably not a starter

2014:
-Blake Bortles - too soon to tell, was on a bad team, but was okay at times
-Johnny Manziel - too soon to say, has done nothing of note
-Teddy Bridgewater - once he was given his shot, he showed a lot of promise. could be the answer in minnesota.

15 drafts and outside of a few good crops, not really a sure thing. I'm not some great evaluator of talent, but I get the feeling the front office wasn't expecting to find the QB of the future with this 1st round pick anyway.

PostPosted: Thu January 01, 2015 3:12 pm 
RM Elitist

Mecca wrote:

15 drafts and outside of a few good crops, not really a sure thing. I'm not some great evaluator of talent, but I get the feeling the front office wasn't expecting to find the QB of the future with this 1st round pick anyway.

This is why i absolutely HATE how people always are calling for a Quarterback change.. IF you have a solid to good QB. Matt Stafford is a pretty good QB who stays healthy and appears to be a leader. He is not, nor will ever be Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. But that's what people expect because he was "first overall". Well that first overall is a sunk cost. Cutting Matt Stafford does not get you the first overall pick back. And so what the hell are the options, start a shitty back up, take a risk on a free agent, or play the QB Draft lottery. Ill take the proven, albeit inconsistent known commodity any day of the week.

PostPosted: Thu January 01, 2015 3:29 pm 
The Master

nice post, mecca. i think what it underscores is that quarterbacks need to be developed in the nfl, no matter where they're picked. and they either respond to that development or they don't.

it's a much safer bet to use a high pick on a lineman, skill position, or defender.

PostPosted: Sat January 03, 2015 2:11 am 
slower than 82% of US

@SkitchP wrote:
Mecca wrote:

This is why i absolutely HATE how people always are calling for a Quarterback change.. IF you have a solid to good QB. Matt Stafford is a pretty good QB who stays healthy and appears to be a leader. He is not, nor will ever be Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady or Peyton Manning. But that's what people expect because he was "first overall". Well that first overall is a sunk cost. Cutting Matt Stafford does not get you the first overall pick back. And so what the hell are the options, start a shitty back up, take a risk on a free agent, or play the QB Draft lottery. Ill take the proven, albeit inconsistent known commodity any day of the week.

PostPosted: Sat January 03, 2015 2:15 am 
RM Elitist

Mecca wrote:
@SkitchP wrote:
Mecca wrote:

Oh man do I love that picture. I hope to have lots of opportunity to use it on @DetroitLions on Sunday.

PostPosted: Sat January 03, 2015 5:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

You don't need to have an elite QB to to win in the NFL. It helps sure but I wouldn't call Russell Wilson elite. Not yet anyway. I would not call Big Ben elite. He is good yes but he is also in a great situation (a lot like Flacco).....The Lions have problems much bigger than Stafford. That being said I think they win Sunday in Dallas.

PostPosted: Sun January 04, 2015 10:23 pm 
Site Admin

Mecca wrote:
Something that has been coming up recently is the Bills decision to trade up to take Sammy Watkins this past draft. In hindsight, it looks like giving up a 1st in the 2015 draft could have been overpaying, when they easily could've picked Odell Beckham Jr, Kelvin Benjamin, Jordan Matthews or Jarvis Landry. I've seen some irksome Buffalo reporters point this out, forgetting that hindsight is 20/20. Also, these guys are all rookies and Beckham has a Super Bowl winning QB throwing to him, while Watkins had Kyle Orton. Watkins still figures to be a great player for years to come.
It appears that Marrone agreed with the critics.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12118 ... falo-bills

Adam Schefter wrote:
Seeds of discontent were sown in Buffalo last May, when the Bills traded up to land wide receiver Sammy Watkins.

According to sources in the Bills' draft room, former Buffalo head coach Doug Marrone clearly was not happy with the trade.

Marrone was not in favor of Buffalo surrendering a future first-round pick to the Cleveland Browns in a trade that did not involve a quarterback, sources said.

There are different accounts of exactly how unhappy Marrone was, with some sources recalling he stormed out of the room, and other sources simply saying he walked out of the room.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports