The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dear Terrorists
PostPosted: Tue September 09, 2014 11:55 pm 
AnalLog

Electromatic wrote:
So they stay in buffalo and hopefully end this playing in Toronto nonsense?

i thought that was already done.

PostPosted: Wed September 10, 2014 12:00 am 
slower than 82% of US

red calzolaio wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

yup. Electro is a Falcons fan, so its fresh in his memory

PostPosted: Wed September 10, 2014 1:29 pm 
Rank This Poster

Mecca wrote:
red calzolaio wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

yup. Electro is a Falcons fan, so its fresh in his memory

Good, well cheers all around.

PostPosted: Mon September 15, 2014 2:35 am 
slower than 82% of US

:ohyeah!:

PostPosted: Mon September 15, 2014 3:06 am 
AnalLog

Cameron Wake getting owned by a rookie.

PostPosted: Mon September 15, 2014 3:35 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Complete and total domination. Again.

Ok, so you guys won and deserved that game and should have won by a lot more, really. BUT...that Sammy Watkins "TD"...how did they not even review that? For the life of me I can't imagine how the booth/NY didn't tell the ref to go take another look at that.

But good game. At least we only have to play you guys twice a year. We'd be like 1-15 otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon September 15, 2014 4:04 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:

Ok, so you guys won and deserved that game and should have won by a lot more, really. BUT...that Sammy Watkins "TD"...how did they not even review that? For the life of me I can't imagine how the booth/NY didn't tell the ref to go take another look at that.

But good game. At least we only have to play you guys twice a year. We'd be like 1-15 otherwise.
Any shellshock from the Kelly years?

PostPosted: Mon September 15, 2014 10:01 pm 
slower than 82% of US

4/5 wrote:

Every touchdown play is reviewed. He had the ball when it broke the plane, but I was drunk and at the game so my memory could be fuzzy.

PostPosted: Tue September 16, 2014 12:45 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Edit: I replied in NFL thread to not derail your party.

Enjoy the mountaintop, guys.

PostPosted: Sun November 09, 2014 10:52 pm 
slower than 82% of US

:(

PostPosted: Mon November 10, 2014 12:06 am 
Site Admin

Mecca wrote:
:(
I'm just as :( as you are over that game.

PostPosted: Mon November 10, 2014 4:22 am 
The Master

hard to beat not one, but TWO andy reids

PostPosted: Mon November 10, 2014 8:41 pm 
slower than 82% of US

spike wrote:

Do 2 Andy Reids combined make the team better or worse at clock management?

PostPosted: Mon November 10, 2014 10:25 pm 
Polluted

Mecca wrote:
spike wrote:

Do 2 Andy Reids combined make the team better or worse at clock management?

Probably worse, but I bet they woulda opted for the fuckin field goal.

PostPosted: Fri November 14, 2014 4:36 am 
slower than 82% of US

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

PostPosted: Fri November 14, 2014 4:43 am 
Broken Tamborine

I've always loved Orton, but that was just horrible. The fact that they were able to beat Miami with Thad Lewis twice and with Manuel the last 2 years, I'm shocked the O looked that bad with Orton.

PostPosted: Fri November 14, 2014 5:02 am 
Site Admin

TBAMTS wrote:
I've always loved Orton, but that was just horrible. The fact that they were able to beat Miami with Thad Lewis twice and with Manuel the last 2 years, I'm shocked the O looked that bad with Orton.
Very well said. This may be the first time Orton's got a fair shot in his career, and it may have just come too late for him.

PostPosted: Mon December 15, 2014 7:03 am 
slower than 82% of US

I'm sure I wasn't the only person to have this thought when I saw the pic, but this was my thought upon seeing it.

PostPosted: Mon December 15, 2014 4:06 pm 
Site Admin

I'm guessing that's Pegula? Even if he isn't, what's your take on him as the owner, including any takeaways from his Sabres ownership?

PostPosted: Tue December 16, 2014 1:53 am 
slower than 82% of US

Green Habit wrote:
I'm guessing that's Pegula? Even if he isn't, what's your take on him as the owner, including any takeaways from his Sabres ownership?

it is Pegula.

The emotional stuff first: The guy pretty much secured the Bills in Buffalo's foreseeable future. When he won the bid, there was a huge catharsis in the area that this looming darkness of the team being sold to the highest bidder and shipped out was gone. He lived in Buffalo at one point and fell in love with the city and the Sabres, which led to his purchase of them about 4 years ago. He then won a pretty substantial bid to build a complex of offices/restaurants/hockey rinks on the parcel across the street from the Sabres arena, which is an area that has been trending upwards, but needed some serious investments to really kick it off. He seems to be filling the role of "generous billionaire" that the city itself has needed. Buying the Bills it seemed too good to be true, but the guy was fighting through tears of joy to say "I didn't just buy the Bills or my team, I bought OUR team"

I think owning the Sabres first was a good practice at ownership. The team at the time went on a run after his purchase and got into the playoffs, so his complacency with the GM and Head Coach at the time was accepted, because it was kind of working. The team also really listened to the fans and improved a lot of gameday experience things (2 minute warning bell that told you intermission was ending, tvs in the bathroom, a shelf at the urinals to put your beer, the little things). After a frustrating season, they started to realize the core of the team wasn't working, traded away assets, fired the longest-tenured coach in the league and then last season, the GM. These were all things that were seen as potential problems when he took over the team, but his willingness to spend money while having a GM that knew how to work assets (not the best at scouting talent) was worth looking at. It failed pretty spectacularly and the print media grilled him over it.

Since then, the tone of the ownership changed and it seems like they've only made the right moves by getting a promising, young GM who is shrewd, but a straight-shooter. I think with the Bills, he will be less forgiving with failure/incompetence, but I don't see any sweeping changes happening immediately. Doug Whaley as a GM has been great, IMO. He will get a lot of flak for trading up for Watkins, when they could've had an Odell Beckham or Mike Evans, but everyone agreed he was the top WR and I don't recall too much pre-draft chatter about it being the best WR class in awhile. Basically, hindsight is 20/20 and I doubt there's a top QB they'd get in the 1st round anyway. The guy has found some players on other practice sqauds or waivers that come in and have an impact. Marcus Thigpen and Bacari Rambo are the most recent examples of this.

So if anything, I don't expect much to change with the team in the short-term, but with his practice run at being an owner teaching him a few things, he'll do right by the Bills.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 304 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports