The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2012-2013 Bowl Games
PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 8:02 pm 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Ok, seriously -- watching the SEC teams in these God-forsaken bowl games makes me nervous that Notre Dame may actually beat Alabama. And nothing could be more insufferable than a ND BCS Championship.
You should be thankful that OSU screwed the pooch on their sanctions and got banished from the postseason this year. I'm guessing that an ND/OSU NC would be the absolute worst nightmare for Michigan fans.

Definitely looking forward to tonight's game. Too bad this game isn't for all the marbles.

PostPosted: Thu January 03, 2013 8:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Ok, seriously -- watching the SEC teams in these God-forsaken bowl games makes me nervous that Notre Dame may actually beat Alabama. And nothing could be more insufferable than a ND BCS Championship.
You should be thankful that OSU screwed the pooch on their sanctions and got banished from the postseason this year. I'm guessing that an ND/OSU NC would be the absolute worst nightmare for Michigan fans.

The only thing worse would be if the game was being announced by Dick Vitale.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 2:16 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I thought K-State would be putting up more of a fight.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 2:50 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

BOOM!

Nice discipline, Cats!

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 3:02 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Yuck.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:05 pm 
Site Admin

What I found fascinating about that game was that I didn't know the existence of a one point safety. I had long marveled at how there can never be a score of "1" on the board for a team in football. But in college at least, I now know that it is possible.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:09 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
What I found fascinating about that game was that I didn't know the existence of a one point safety. I had long marveled at how there can never be a score of "1" on the board for a team in football. But in college at least, I now know that it is possible.

I wasn't sure either, but during the commercial break/review I figured only giving one point did make sense in that scenario.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:10 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:

Mike Periera tweeted about this exact rule about 4 weeks ago (he asks trivia rules questions). I suggest following him, if for no other reason than to get his 2 cents on certain in-game calls real time.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Mike Periera tweeted about this exact rule about 4 weeks ago (he asks trivia rules questions). I suggest following him, if for no other reason than to get his 2 cents on certain in-game calls real time.
I do follow him on Twitter. Now I guess I should feel embarrassed.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:05 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
I had long marveled at how there can never be a score of "1" on the board for a team in football. But in college at least, I now know that it is possible.

But the team that gets the 1 point safety just scored a TD. In order to have a score of "1" it'd have to be the defensive team scoring. If they run it back, they get two points. If they were to run it back, say fumble forward into the endzone and the original kicking team recover it in their endzone, would that be a 1 or 2 point safety? Without knowing the answer, it seems to me there's no reason it shouldn't be two points.

Thinking out loud here.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
I had long marveled at how there can never be a score of "1" on the board for a team in football. But in college at least, I now know that it is possible.

But the team that gets the 1 point safety just scored a TD. In order to have a score of "1" it'd have to be the defensive team scoring. If they run it back, they get two points. If they were to run it back, say fumble forward into the endzone and the original kicking team recover it in their endzone, would that be a 1 or 2 point safety? Without knowing the answer, it seems to me there's no reason it shouldn't be two points.

Thinking out loud here.
Ah, you're probably right. What if it was a blocked field goal? Would that be one or two points?

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Thinking out loud here.

Right. 1-point safeties can only be scored after successful scoring plays (basically, a TD).

And the only way that the original kicking team can get the 2 points in your scenario is if, after it recovers the fumble in its own end zone, it breaks the plane of the goal line and then is tackled in the end zone. If it recovers after the defense fumbles it forward, it would just be a dead ball.

PostPosted: Fri January 04, 2013 7:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Thinking out loud here.
Ah, you're probably right. What if it was a blocked field goal? Would that be one or two points?

two

Edit: this happened in a college game about 2 years ago. Toward the end of the first half, a team tried a 60 yard FG. The defense put a defender in the end zone. The FG came up well short, the defender caught the ball, ran out of the end zone, and then was tackled for a 2 point safety.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 2:16 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

This is as good as thread as any to point out Georgia's QB Aaron Murray will be back in Athens. They're pretty high on Hutson Mason but with Murray the Bulldogs will be in the top five again with a shot at the title.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
This is as good as thread as any to point out Georgia's QB Aaron Murray will be back in Athens. They're pretty high on Hutson Mason but with Murray the Bulldogs will be in the top five again with a shot at the title.
Richt has gone under so much unnecessary pressure that I'd be perfectly fine if he won it all next year.

PostPosted: Mon January 07, 2013 5:02 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Green Habit wrote:
Richt has gone under so much unnecessary pressure that I'd be perfectly fine if he won it all next year.

That goes with living next door to Alabama & Florida with LSU just down the street. Georgia's raised their talent level the past few seasons but so have the others.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 1:11 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Let's Go Irish!

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 1:16 am 
Looks Like a Cat

numbers wrote:
Let's Go Irish!

The only thing worse than a bunch of ND fans after a ND national championship is a bunch of Red Sox or Patriots fans after a WS or Super Bowl win.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 1:33 am 
Future Drummer

I wonder how many times we're going to hear the word "adversity" tonight.

PostPosted: Tue January 08, 2013 1:50 am 
Site Admin

Holy shit, this crowd is extremely in favor of Notre Dame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports