The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Conference Realignment
PostPosted: Mon December 31, 2012 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

BSU is staying in the Mountain West. What a crazy journey they've (almost) had.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... erence-all

Post subject: Re: Conference Realignment
PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 3:12 am 
Site Admin

So the football teams from the old Big East look to be taking the name "America 12":

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... ources-say

Haven't we already learned from experience as to how absolutely stupid it is to put a number in your conference name? :shake: This tweet said it very well:

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 6:45 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

rumored conference logo:

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:00 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Can conferences just be eliminated?

Man the whole idea was for them to put regional teams together to play one another. This thing is just crazy. I guess it's all too big now, so we'll end up with the 4 or 5 16 team power conferences.

On a related note, I heard the Catholic schools are going to have a conference...Like Gonzaga, G'Town, Xavier, St. John's, etc...Any updates on that. That would be a great Bball conference.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:04 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:

Man the whole idea was for them to put regional teams together to play one another. This thing is just crazy. I guess it's all too big now, so we'll end up with the 4 or 5 16 team power conferences.

On a related note, I heard the Catholic schools are going to have a conference...Like Gonzaga, G'Town, Xavier, St. John's, etc...Any updates on that. That would be a great Bball conference.
What I'm hearing is that the seven Catholic schools are going to keep the Big East name, and add Xavier, Butler, and Creighton, and eventually add Saint Louis and Dayton as well. I actually like that conference a lot. Butler is a little out of place as the only non-Catholic school, but their basketball is definitely on par with the rest of the conference, and they'll be good travel partners with teams like Marquette and Xavier in the Midwest.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

What I'm hearing is that the seven Catholic schools are going to keep the Big East name, and add Xavier, Butler, and Creighton, and eventually add Saint Louis and Dayton as well. I actually like that conference a lot. Butler is a little out of place as the only non-Catholic school, but their basketball is definitely on par with the rest of the conference, and they'll be good travel partners with teams like Marquette and Xavier in the Midwest.

I like that a lot, it would be a very fun conference to watch for hoops.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

If everyone expands to 16, I hope ND joins the ACC as a full member, and that WVA can get out of the Big12 and also join the ACC. They have a natural rivalry with Pitt, and VA Tech. Both teams would strengthen the ACC nicely in football, as well as hoops.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:27 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

The collapse of the true Big East is such a shame.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:28 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

EJ wrote:
The collapse of the true Big East is such a shame.

Yeah, I wonder how the Big East would be had Miami, VA Tech, and BC stayed in it.

PostPosted: Fri March 08, 2013 8:33 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

It just blows. It was such a great basketball conference in the 80s and 90s.

PostPosted: Sat March 09, 2013 4:38 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

even Big East football had it's great moments in the 80's and 90's. Who knew that when BC, Miami, and Va Tech bolted the Big East they were destroying traditional conference play.

PostPosted: Sun March 10, 2013 4:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

The new catholic conference will be revealed after a puff of white smoke

PostPosted: Fri June 07, 2013 1:49 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Picking up from the other thread...

Yeah, the realignments piss me off. I just really wish it would be more regional.

In the other thread, I mentioned the SCC (Southern Coastal)...the divisions could be something like Coastal and Mountain. Add the 12 teams I mentioned, and you could also add WVA, and Tenn.

Something like:

Mountain:

Clemson
WVA
VA Tech
UVA
Tenn
NC State
GA Tech
FL St (I know they are not in the mountains, but gotta separate the FL teams)

Coastal:

SCAR
UNC
Florida
Miami
UGA
Maryland
Duke
East Carolina

PostPosted: Fri March 28, 2014 1:46 am 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

I like that a lot, it would be a very fun conference to watch for hoops.
Given what Dayton has done just now, you have to think the Big East is going to take a long, hard look at them. And Saint Louis basketball is looking good, too.

PostPosted: Fri March 28, 2014 8:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The best thing would be to just go back to the conferences there were before the ACC started to pillage the Big East.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:39 pm 
Site Admin

I was reading up on some TV rights deals given what ESPN's going through, and I ended up concocting a new conference ten years from now through that that could be able to challenge any other in the nation:

Texas
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Oklahoma State
Clemson
Florida State
Miami
Georgia Tech
USC
UCLA
Stanford
Cal

Throw in a partnership with Notre Dame to replace what they have with the ACC right now while you're at it.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 2:57 pm 
Gone

Cal?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:15 pm 
Site Admin

verb_to_trust wrote:
Cal?
It wasn't that long ago that Cal was tearing shit up with Aaron Rodgers and Jeff Tedford while Stanford was a complete joke of a program. This realignment is more money-driven, though, and the states of California, Texas and Florida are where it's at.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 6:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Cal?
It wasn't that long ago that Cal was tearing shit up with Aaron Rodgers and Jeff Tedford while Stanford was a complete joke of a program. This realignment is more money-driven, though, and the states of California, Texas and Florida are where it's at.

I just wish the conferences would get back to being more regional. I like the idea of 16 team super conferences with 4 pods. It keeps the rotations going and you don't end up with dumb scenarios like where Clemson won't play UVA again until 2024 (last played in '14). The Florida, Georgia, Carolina (both states), Virginia and Maryland teams could make a really nice conference combining the ACC and SEC east coast teams. (UGA, UF, SC from the SEC maybe UT and UK too).

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Cal?

I just wish the conferences would get back to being more regional. I like the idea of 16 team super conferences with 4 pods. It keeps the rotations going and you don't end up with dumb scenarios like where Clemson won't play UVA again until 2024 (last played in '14). The Florida, Georgia, Carolina (both states), Virginia and Maryland teams could make a really nice conference combining the ACC and SEC east coast teams. (UGA, UF, SC from the SEC maybe UT and UK too).
I say 18 team conferences, 9 team divisions. This allows you to play round robin in your division with an equal amount of home and road games. Also makes sure there's room for most of the best non P5 schools like Houston, SMU, BYU, BSU, Cincy, Memphis.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports