The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stupid Rules In Sports
PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 1:06 am 
Site Admin

So it doesn't seem right that Danny Amendola can commit brutal unnecessary roughness, yet his team only gets penalized two and a half yards for it. I've long felt that 15-yarders should ignore the half the distance to the goal rule, but even here it would only be a four yard penalty. While I'm likely not thinking about some unintended side effect, how about assessing the remainder of the 15 yards the next time the team commits a foul? That could give them some extra incentive to follow the rules.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 1:16 am 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
So it doesn't seem right that Danny Amendola can commit brutal unnecessary roughness, yet his team only gets penalized two and a half yards for it. I've long felt that 15-yarders should ignore the half the distance to the goal rule, but even here it would only be a four yard penalty. While I'm likely not thinking about some unintended side effect, how about assessing the remainder of the 15 yards the next time the team commits a foul? That could give them some extra incentive to follow the rules.

the officiating crews can barely keep track of what's happening already.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 1:24 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

I've never understood why the half the distance rule exists, except tp avoid Xeno's paradox. If a PI in the end zone puts the ball on the 1-yard line, yoi can do the same thing with a personal foul on the 4.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 2:11 am 
RM Elitist

Yeah, the inequity of penalty enforcement yardage is really weird a lot of the time. Hell, if you see the offense in an illegal formation and a flag fly, why not punch a guy in the mouth, cause you know, offsetting.

or if youre really pissed just wait to get your personal foul until a play in which they score.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 6:53 am 
mXn

Similar stupid rule from college football: Targeting.

Ejection plus sit out first half of the the next game.

So a player could target near the very end of a game and essentially sits out 30:01 of actual playing time. Target on the first play of the game and sit out 89:59 of playing time. It should just be an ejection from the game it takes place in.

Last edited by Bammer on Sat January 23, 2016 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:05 pm 
Site Admin

spike wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
OK, after doing some earlier morning reading here's another idea that should work: give the team that was fouled the opportunity to increase the down distance. So in Amendola's case Reid could have elected to enforce a 1st and 25 from the 5 instead of a 1st and 10 from the 2 1/2.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:10 pm 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
spike wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
OK, after doing some earlier morning reading here's another idea that should work: give the team that was fouled the opportunity to increase the down distance. So in Amendola's case Reid could have elected to enforce a 1st and 25 from the 5 instead of a 1st and 10 from the 2 1/2.

seriously, it's too much math for the mensa refs

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

spike wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
spike wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
seriously, it's too much math for the mensa refs
Eh, I'm sure Ed Hochuli would have no problem with it, even if he is 65.

PostPosted: Sun January 17, 2016 4:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I think we need fewer rules and/or consolidate and simplify the rules/penalties in the NFL. And address the obvious, what is a catch? They have work to do. Too many teams lost games this year just to wrong calls.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Complete and utter bullshit that a muffed punt that the returning team recovers in their own end zone is ruled a touchback and not a safety. Fix that shit next year, NFL.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 12:21 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Complete and utter bullshit that a muffed punt that the returning team recovers in their own end zone is ruled a touchback and not a safety. Fix that shit next year, NFL.

you have to establish possession in order to give up the field and be charged with a safety. by definition, a muff is where you don't establish possession. it's not a dumb rule.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 12:23 am 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
you have to establish possession in order to give up the field and be charged with a safety. by definition, a muff is where you don't establish possession. it's not a dumb rule.
It still shouldn't be a touchback even if it shouldn't be a safety either. I don't like how the receiving team benefited from muffing there.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 1:06 am 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

but without possession, it can't be a touchback unless the ball travels through and then out of the end zone. that didn't happen.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 1:24 am 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

but without possession, it can't be a touchback unless the ball travels through and then out of the end zone. that didn't happen.

I'm not following here. It's a touchback even if a punt doesn't go out of the end zone. All it has to do is cross the goal line.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 1:25 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
It still shouldn't be a touchback even if it shouldn't be a safety either. I don't like how the receiving team benefited from muffing there.

So should that be the rule on kickoffs too?

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 1:27 am 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
so should that be the rule on kickoffs too?
I'd say no. Does the muff rule even apply on a free kick? You could make the distinction by free kicks vs. punts.

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 1:31 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

It appears that these rules do indeed apply to free kicks as well: http://static.nfl.com/static/content/pu ... rCatch.pdf

PostPosted: Mon January 18, 2016 1:44 am 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

I'm not following here. It's a touchback even if a punt doesn't go out of the end zone. All it has to do is cross the goal line.

not if the receiving team touches it first, as was the case.

looking further into the rules, the pittsburgh player who "recovered" the muff wasn't possessing the ball by falling on it, rather he's downing it. that's why it's a touchback, i guess.

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 3:13 pm 
mXn

spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

not if the receiving team touches it first, as was the case.

looking further into the rules, the pittsburgh player who "recovered" the muff wasn't possessing the ball by falling on it, rather he's downing it. that's why it's a touchback, i guess.

That's stupid

PostPosted: Sat January 23, 2016 4:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:

And then he got an incredibly insignificant fine considering what he did and his playoff share. There's little to no reason for any player not to slam headlong into a special teamer because the league doesn't give a crap about them.

Look at a QB wrong and you're out a week.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports