The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fuck Sports
PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:17 pm 
Gone

I know I'm not as invested as I used to be but for some reason I still listen to and read enough NBA content to kill an elephant, and that's on top of all the games I watch. I think being so informed is actually part of my problem. I know exactly how poorly the Bulls are run as an organization. My knowledge on the subject is basically encylopedic. The players are all clowns and have access to social media to remind you of their clownishness 24/7.

I haven't felt that spark as a sports fan since the 2014 world cup cycle...

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:17 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Simple Torture wrote:
I've been going on a similar trajectory over the past 5 years or so. I lost basically all interest in basketball, hockey, and now football is fading fast. I'm just as into baseball as I've ever been, though, if not more (which I guess makes sense, as I'm not using any of the fandom energy on the other sports).

I guess it's a combination of changes in the daily routine, career, etc that makes it harder to sit down and watch all the games, plus off-the-field stuff that makes it harder to just unplug and enjoy.

Baseball is the sport I'm most sad about. I grew up in and around it. I loved it. I still do, I just don't have the passion to watch all the time I guess. When I do get to games, though, I feel like a kid again.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:19 pm 
The Master

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
I've been going on a similar trajectory over the past 5 years or so. I lost basically all interest in basketball, hockey, and now football is fading fast. I'm just as into baseball as I've ever been, though, if not more (which I guess makes sense, as I'm not using any of the fandom energy on the other sports).

I guess it's a combination of changes in the daily routine, career, etc that makes it harder to sit down and watch all the games, plus off-the-field stuff that makes it harder to just unplug and enjoy.

Baseball is the sport I'm most sad about. I grew up in and around it. I loved it. I still do, I just don't have the passion to watch all the time I guess. When I do get to games, though, I feel like a kid again.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:19 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yet posting on a Pearl Jam message board is so fulfilling.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:20 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

run2death wrote:
Yet posting on a Pearl Jam message board is so fulfilling.

I can't argue with you there, dude. It is certainly a vice for me.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:22 pm 
Gone

Seeing Eddie at Cubs games basically killed whatever fandom I had left. Baseball is just so boring. Football drags for me too with the non stop commercials and old white guys stopping play constantly.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:24 pm 
Rank This Poster

Man October 2013, So many other shitty awful moments since then. They all run together.

I believe this was after Freddi González decided not to pitch Kimbrel in the 8th with a lead against LA. I mean, why would you ever want to put your best reliever in at the most important time?

I ran in to Frank Wren at the airport last month, he’s working for Boston now.....should have asked about that one, and Kawakami, didn’t want to be rude.

Last edited by Electromatic on Tue October 16, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:27 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Electromatic wrote:
Man October 2013, So many other shitty awful moments since then. They all run together.

I don't even have the urge to make 28-3 jokes anymore.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

Simple Torture wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I don't even have the urge to make 28-3 jokes anymore.

This was 3 years before it was cool for even Bengals fans to make 28-3 jokes.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

we're all old..

To my son Homer. ...and his entire family... ...I leave these: a box of mint-condition 1918 liberty-head silver dollars. You see, back in those days, rich men would ride around in Zeppelins, dropping coins on people, and one day I seen J.D. Rockefeller flying by. So I run out of the house with a big washtub and... hey! Where are you going? Anyway, about my washtub. I'd just used it that morning to wash my turkey, which in those days was known as ...a walking-bird. We'd always have walking-bird on Thanksgiving, with all the trimmings: cranberries, injun eyes, yams stuffed with gunpowder. Then we'd all watch football, which in those days was called baseball...

Eh, why didn't you get something useful, like storm windows, or a nice pipe organ? I'm thirsty! Ew, what smells like mustard? There sure are a lot of ugly people in your neighborhood. Ooh, look at that one. Ow, my glaucoma just got worse. The president is a Democrat! Hello? I can't unbuckle my seat belt. Hello? There are too many leaves in your walkway...

Last edited by doug rr on Tue October 16, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:35 pm 
Rank This Poster

I’m less of a fan of specific teams (other than the Spurs) and more of a fan of sports in general.

Being able to see the idiocy of sports fans in general is kinda fun. For instance, the fam and I go to Door County, Wisconsin almost every year and I love GB, but Packers fans are generally completely blind to the shittiness of McCarthy and Packers executives. It’s fun to see.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 7:58 pm 
The Master

My best friend moving to Colorado is actually pushing me more into sports since he loves them. I’ll never be super into them or anything, but I’ll definitely be watching the super bowl with him every year, and it looks like we’re gonna start watching UFC PPV events pretty often.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 9:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
My best friend moving to Colorado is actually pushing me more into sports since he loves them. I’ll never be super into them or anything, but I’ll definitely be watching the super bowl with him every year, and it looks like we’re gonna start watching UFC PPV events pretty often.

Please don't become a Broncos fan.

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 9:43 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I don’t care about any teams

PostPosted: Tue October 16, 2018 9:52 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

I don’t care about any teams

LV post.

PostPosted: Wed October 17, 2018 12:00 am 
AnalLog

grown ass man post.

PostPosted: Wed October 17, 2018 12:28 am 
The Master

HardTI wrote:
grown ass man post.

grown Ass-man post

PostPosted: Wed October 17, 2018 1:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I was raped by sports and have deep seeded trauma as a result

Spoiler: show
pun intended

i.e. 'deep seeded'

that's the joke

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed October 17, 2018 2:36 am 
The Master

run2death wrote:
I’m less of a fan of specific teams (other than the Spurs) and more of a fan of sports in general.

Being able to see the idiocy of sports fans in general is kinda fun. For instance, the fam and I go to Door County, Wisconsin almost every year and I love GB, but Packers fans are generally completely blind to the shittiness of McCarthy and Packers executives. It’s fun to see.

this is a pretty bad take, r2d. not all packers fans are clueless middle aged women with favre/rodgers shrines in their homes.

PostPosted: Wed October 17, 2018 2:50 am 
Gone

Most Packers fans are fat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports