The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The NCAA sucks
PostPosted: Fri September 13, 2013 10:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Joesanity wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
this is certainly an issue to debate, but what bugs me the most is the freedom the coaches have to walk away from any trouble.

les miles being the most recent example from his Okie St. shenanigans, but pete carroll, chip kelly, urban meyer, bobby petrino, butch davis, and lane kiffin (off the top of my head) should not be able to walk around w/o any penalty.
Agreed. The coaches know something is going to happen, so they just jump ship and leave the players to suffer. Cowardly. The NCAA should "Sean Payton" them at their new jobs.
right, as should the nfl.
The NFL did this with Pryor.

On the one hand, I'm not keen on the NFL enforcing punishments from bad NCAA rules. On the other, they are getting a free farm system from the colleges....
right, they punished a player but not the coaches that broke rules and engineered the environment for rule breaking.

i'm just looking for consistency, and it's a fool's dream.

Tressel got a game suspension for whatever he was doing with the Colts. And he can't really get a coaching job in college for a few years.
there should be more of this.

PostPosted: Fri September 20, 2013 4:34 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/09/2 ... te-alabama

Written from a tOSU fan's perspective (one of the best on the net) about the media's "evolution" in regards to recent scandals.

Yeah, if you're not an Ohio State fan you may not be too interested, but it calls out a number of people including Pat Forde who is just the worst.

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 8:32 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 8:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:

Well done Doug Farrar

PostPosted: Mon December 02, 2013 9:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Electromatic wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Well done Doug Farrar

:nice:

PostPosted: Thu December 05, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

http://blogs.idahostatesman.com/how-i-c ... e-reported

How I committed an NCAA violation — and how many Boise State reported

Posted on December 5, 2013 by Brian Murphy

By Brian Murphy
bmurphy@idahostatesman.com

This is one sentence I never thought I’d write: I committed an NCAA violation.

Because I’m not an NCAA student-athlete, coach, administrator or booster, I didn’t see how it was possible. But the NCAA rule book is so big and so byzantine that I guess it was just a matter of time before I tripped over one of its rules in my reporting career.

In the final minutes of Boise State’s Oct. 19 victory against Nevada, I made my way to the Broncos’ post-game interview session in the Bleymaier Football Complex. As usual, I stood on the second floor platform and watched the final moments of the game.

Quarterback Joe Southwick, who was injured on the first play of the game, was in the lounge on the second floor, watching the game with his family and with his right leg elevated. I lingered to see how Southwick was moving. Did he need a wheelchair? Crutches? Was he walking fine? With a limp? Would he or his family exit through the platform and offer an update on his condition?

It was one of the biggest stories of the season — and any additional details would help.

(Coach Chris Petersen told the media just minutes later that Southwick had broken his right ankle. Southwick has not since been made available to media, despite repeated requests.)

At that point, a steady parade of Boise State recruits came streaming out of the Bleymaier Football Complex, walking on the platform and heading down the stairs to the field. Nevada was, arguably, the biggest home game of the season and it was a Saturday game. That typically makes for a big recruiting weekend — and it was.

The recruits wore name tags, and I spotted Shay Fields, a highly sought-after wide receiver and then-Boise State commit. I introduced myself to Fields and began asking a few questions. Had the visit to Boise State solidified his commitment to the school. “Yeah,” he told me. Did his friendship with Boise State commitment Jalen Greene, a quarterback, factor into his decision. Fields joked that he wasn’t friends with Greene and then smiled at his buddy, who stood just feet away.

(An aside: Fields later changed his commitment to USC.)

I turned and spotted Greene, who was listening to the conversation. I introduced myself to him.

At that point — probably less than a minute since I’d first started talking to Fields — Rich Rasmussen, Boise State’s director of player personnel, cut off the interview. He told me, basically, you can’t do this. I stopped talking with the players. Rasmussen led them down to the field.

I knew Boise State, per NCAA rules, could not publicize the recruit’s visits, could not distribute a list of recruits on campus and could not make the recruits available for media interviews. The school had done none of those things. I initiated the conversation and I wasn’t overly worried about breaking NCAA rules anyway.

The organization, so I thought, doesn’t have any jurisdiction over me — a sports columnist at the Idaho Statesman.

Plus, recruits aren’t Boise State players — yet. They are not subject to the football program’s litany of rules about who is made available for interviews and who is not.

One day later, however, I (and sports editor Mike Prater) received an email from John Cunningham, Boise State director of compliance.

“I understand that you had a brief conversation with two prospects on campus yesterday for their official visits,” Cunningham wrote. “As you may be aware, NCAA bylaw 13.10.1 states that a member institution shall not permit a media entity to be present during any recruiting contact by an institution’s coaching staff member. This means that it is our institutional responsibility to take measures necessary to prevent our official and unofficial visitors from speaking to the media while they are on campus. Although you had just a brief conversation with these prospects, it is considered an NCAA violation, which we will file.”

The Broncos filed the NCAA violation on Nov. 21. The school explained the violation and told the NCAA of its corrective actions.

“1. Educational email sent to media member and media member’s supervisor explaining rule.

“2. New process implemented to keep media separate from prospective student-athletes in the new football facility post-game.

“3. Compliance office is developing an education session for local area media.”

Cunningham told me the rule “has created confusion recently at some other schools as well,” and he assured me it was very minor in nature and would not lead to any penalty or sanction to Boise State.

That violation was one of 19 reported by the athletic department so far in 2013. The other violations range from inadvertent text messages to recruits to a football player being suspended from Boise State and declared ineligible by the NCAA for submitting false academic information to a previous college.

The entire list of Boise State violations is included below. This is a summary report and does not include the names of student-athletes or coaches (or, in my case, media members) who have committed the violations. That information, according to Boise State, is protected and not available under the state’s public records law. Boise State has turned down my repeated requests since 2006 for secondary violations reports.

Cunningham, who came to Boise State in 2011, produced the summary report. He said he thought there was “value in transparency.”

I agree.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2014 4:40 pm 
Site Admin

Kain Colter just became one of my favorite athletes.

====

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/ ... abor-union

Kain Colter starts union movement
Updated: January 28, 2014, 11:18 AM ET
By Tom Farrey | ESPN.com

For the first time in the history of college sports, athletes are asking to be represented by a labor union, taking formal steps on Tuesday to begin the process of being recognized as employees, ESPN's "Outside The Lines" has learned.

Ramogi Huma, president of the National College Players Association, filed a petition in Chicago on behalf of football players at Northwestern University, submitting the form at the regional office of the National Labor Relations Board.

Backed by the United Steelworkers union, Huma also filed union cards signed by an undisclosed number of Northwestern players with the NLRB -- the federal statutory body that recognizes groups that seek collective bargaining rights.

"This is about finally giving college athletes a seat at the table," said Huma, a former UCLA linebacker, who created the NCPA as an advocacy group in 2001. "Athletes deserve an equal voice when it comes to their physical, academic and financial protections."

Huma told "Outside The Lines" that the move to unionize players at Northwestern started with quarterback Kain Colter, who reached out to him last spring and asked for help in giving athletes representation in their effort to improve the conditions under which they play NCAA sports. Colter became a leading voice in regular NCPA-organized conference calls among players from around the country.

[...]

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2014 4:45 pm 
RM Elitist

Im generally pretty anti union, but am totally on board with that.

PostPosted: Tue January 28, 2014 5:02 pm 
AnalLog

:heartbeat:

PostPosted: Tue February 11, 2014 5:40 am 
mXn

I haven't read this thread but I agree with the title.

PostPosted: Fri April 18, 2014 5:44 pm 
Site Admin

Good to have Adam on our side.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:20 am 
Site Admin

Jim Brown, too.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... er-created

Jim Brown rips 'reprehensible' NCAA
By Pat McManamon | ESPN.com

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Jim Brown is not a fan of the NCAA, a truth he made more than evident Saturday at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Fan Fest.

"The NCAA is probably the most reprehensible organization God ever created," the Hall of Fame running back said at a roundtable discussion on the NFL with Barry Sanders and Harry Carson on his right and host Larry King on his left. "Total exploitation. The kind of money they make, the kind of life they live, it's embarrassing."

The comment came in response to a question from a fan about why a player with a career-ending injury in college could not receive a payment to compensate for lost future income.

Brown said the NCAA is pretentious when it says it is "doing things for the young people."

"I'm totally for change and total change," Brown said. "And I think that body needs to be torn apart and put back together with everybody's best interests in mind."

Brown said what he said with a definite purpose.

"I wanted to say it as harsh as I could, because I want them to come at me in any way they want to," Brown said. "Because it's a shame the way that it happens."

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

The more attention you pay to it the worse the NCAA and every person involved in that cartel looks

PostPosted: Tue June 10, 2014 8:12 pm 
Rank This Poster

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... ce-fixing/

Good Read on the Obannon Trial from Stewart Mandel.

Donald Remy contends that Noll would call any amateur atheletic organization a cartel.

Um. No. Not even other divisions of the NCAA.

The NCAA is ACTIVELY PREVENTING athlete students from profiting on their own name and likeness and it has NOTHING to do with fairness.

If this trial blows up the current system in such a way that it completely changes the college experience and ends amateurism at the highest level GOOD.

PostPosted: Wed June 18, 2014 5:56 pm 
Rank This Poster

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/colleg ... ?eref=sihp This trial is facinating, and Mandel is doing an excellent job of covering it.

It's hilarious that people getting paid in the half million dollar range a year have the gall to talk about "entitlement mentality" from people they are actively preventing from earning any money from their own attributes that they are in fact profiting off of.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 3:49 am 
Site Admin

Awesome. Let's hope the Ninth Circuit affirms.

http://i.usatoday.net/sports/!Invesitga ... RULING.pdf

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 1:52 pm 
Rank This Poster

Small victory, she should have burned the entire system down. This doesn't change the primary injustice of the NCAA, namely telling athletes that they own their name and likeness until they graduate.

Name and Likeness is the crux of this issue. If Jamis Winston wants to endorse Publix for free Crablegs instead of stealing them he should have the right to do so. This hasn't changed that.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 3:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

As far as athletics go I like college football and basketball WAY more than the NFL or NBA. I can't watch the NFL or NBA unless I have a rooting interest. That is just me though. I also love college baseball. But yes there is a lot of bullshit that goes along with the NCAA. I'm not sure if college kids should get paid for play (hello, most are getting a free education) because that opens up a lot of doors you don't want to walk through. How much? What sports get more? Do women's sports get money? As much as men? Would ticket prices go sky high?

On the flip side if you are (insert start college football or basketball player here) and (insert University here) is selling your jersey in the bookstore for lets just say $60 you should probably get a cut of that. Hell even like 10%. But after you are no longer in college. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 4:06 pm 
Rank This Poster

Do you view an athletic scholarship as payment to play? I do. I think Total Cost of Attendance is more of an insult than is allowing athletes to make their own choices on whom to endorse and when to hire an agent, the school should have the right to control their likeness as well so even though Mike Vick is a Va Tech student the school can keep their logo away from Bad Newz Kennelz.

Total Cost of Attendance probably does more good for the whole though so I'm for that if players also have the freedom to use their own likeness to promote themselves.

I don't buy that it ruins basketball or college sports. All of this exists now it's just in the shadows.

Little Basketball schools will still go far in the tournament occasionally as they do now.

PostPosted: Sat August 09, 2014 4:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:
Do you view an athletic scholarship as payment to play? I do.

As do I. For football and basketball anyway. Rarely do you see other sports having someone on a full ride scholly. I know in baseball (D1 anyway) you get 11.7 schollys top give out for the full team. Which is like 35 guys or so. D2 it's less. I wanna say 9 full schollys for the full team.

My Nephew (who will be a Senior in high school this year) is getting recruited by some colleges for wrestling. His best offer right now he'd still have to pay like 2/3 of his way and he was all state last year as a Junior.

If they give pay for play (like cash) for lets say football and basketball that'd be a death blow to other sports which rarely make money for the institution. Which yes the masses don't really care about but colleges will not want that backlash that would bring.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports