The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The NCAA sucks
PostPosted: Thu October 23, 2014 1:27 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:
I wasn't sure what that's about, so here's a link to an article:

http://www.cbssports.com/general/eye-on ... commercial

Electromatic wrote:
Do you think they have the ability to reason at all or are they just too dense to see that amateurism at the highest levels of any sport at virtually any age is dead?
It isn't completely illogical for the schools and the NCAA to be so draconian--after all, they are getting free labor. If they crack the door open a bit they risk having the whole thing swing open. That's probably why they're so strict against agents--they'd given them all kinds of info to organize. Eventually, though, it will be impossible to stop.

Sorry, I should have included more information.

You're right of course.

PostPosted: Wed October 29, 2014 2:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

Gurley Suspended 2 more games by the Cartel of Rat Bastard Shitfucks in Indianapolis.

The lesson here is that if you just act as if nothing is wrong (auburn, FSU) nothing is.

PostPosted: Wed October 29, 2014 2:48 pm 
Rank This Poster

Rat Bastard Shitfucks? :haha:

PostPosted: Wed November 05, 2014 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

The NCAA sucks for chewing him up, but let's not also forget that the NFL also sucks for its bullshit "three years after high school" rule. Both institutions need to change.

PostPosted: Wed November 12, 2014 3:22 pm 
Site Admin

"Listen, kid. I've been hearing that crap ever since I was at UCLA. I'm out there busting my buns every night. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes."

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2014/11/coll ... rld-unite/

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 4:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Bill introduced in SC House to make Clemson and South Carolina pay players on the Football and Basketball teams:

http://www.tigernet.com/update/player/S ... yers-18238

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 4:52 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Bill introduced in SC House to make Clemson and South Carolina pay players on the Football and Basketball teams:

Interesting. Surprised that no one thought a state legislature might do this, and even more interesting that it wasn't Alabama that did it first--especially since they disgracefully killed UAB's football program. Then again, does this only apply to Clemson and SCar or would smaller schools like Coastal Carolina or Charleston Southern be impacted?

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 5:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Interesting. Surprised that no one thought a state legislature might do this, and even more interesting that it wasn't Alabama that did it first--especially since they disgracefully killed UAB's football program. Then again, does this only apply to Clemson and SCar or would smaller schools like Coastal Carolina or Charleston Southern be impacted?

From what I gather just Clemson and South Carolina. I didn't see any mention of The Citadel, Coastal Carolina, Furman, or the other state schools.

PostPosted: Wed December 17, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

From what I gather just Clemson and South Carolina. I didn't see any mention of The Citadel, Coastal Carolina, Furman, or the other state schools.
Heh, TIL Charleston Southern isn't public and The Citadel isn't run by the US government. The more you know!

Anyway, this seems a tad paternalistic with the trust fund and financial planning class but not unreasonable by any stretch. Can't wait to see how the NCAA reacts if this does pass.

PostPosted: Wed January 14, 2015 2:26 am 
Site Admin

Mike Florio thinks Ezekiel Elliott should sit out 2015 after the monster performance he had:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... n-in-2015/

I'm not sure it would work out great since tOSU would almost certainly pull his scholarship. But here's another thought for similar players who don't want to risk injury on another year of playing football for (almost) free: transfer to another I-A school. The NCAA would force the player to sit out a year (exactly what the player wants to do) and then stay at that new school until he declares for the draft next year. He would almost certainly burn bridges at the schools in question, but could probably care less about that once he's in the pros. Might be a way to exploit a loophole in a bad NCAA rule.

PostPosted: Wed January 14, 2015 3:33 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Green Habit wrote:
Mike Florio thinks Ezekiel Elliott should sit out 2015 after the monster performance he had:

I'm not sure it would work out great since tOSU would almost certainly pull his scholarship. But here's another thought for similar players who don't want to risk injury on another year of playing football for (almost) free: transfer to another I-A school. The NCAA would force the player to sit out a year (exactly what the player wants to do) and then stay at that new school until he declares for the draft next year. He would almost certainly burn bridges at the schools in question, but could probably care less about that once he's in the pros. Might be a way to exploit a loophole in a bad NCAA rule.

Yeah and if you had a few kids do this, it might spur a change to the rule (not necessarily a good thing, depending on how the rule gets changed of course).

PostPosted: Fri January 16, 2015 9:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:

This is fucking stupid. Should Herschel Walker have sat out after his Freshman season when he helped lead Georgia to a national title? He led them to a championship, was an All American and SEC player of the year as a true Freshman. He would have won the Heisman too had they had such a problem with giving it to Freshmen back in the day. The guy who won it that year (George Rogers) played the same position on an 8-3 team and their numbers were almost similar......

Rogers- 297 Att, 1781 Yds, 6.0 Avg, 14 TD

Walker- 274 Att, 1616 Yds, 5.9 Avg, 15 TD

I am off topic. Elliot could not carry Herschel's jock. Is he as polished as a guy like Adrian Peterson was after his Freshman year at OU? No way in hell. Yes, Elliot is a great prospect. He had a good year and obviously a great finish. I don't think anyone in doubting that... but this is a joke. The kid had 44 yards on 12 carries against Navy. He had 69 yards on 12 carries against Rutgers. He only had 30 carries as a Freshman last year. He has a lot to learn still. You wanna be a star? Have a year like this again next year with a bulls eye on your back.

PostPosted: Sat January 17, 2015 12:57 am 
Site Admin

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

This is fucking stupid. Should Herschel Walker have sat out after his Freshman season when he helped lead Georgia to a national title? He led them to a championship, was an All American and SEC player of the year as a true Freshman. He would have won the Heisman too had they had such a problem with giving it to Freshmen back in the day. The guy who won it that year (George Rogers) played the same position on an 8-3 team and their numbers were almost similar......

I am off topic. Elliot could not carry Herschel's jock. Is he as polished as a guy like Adrian Peterson was after his Freshman year at OU? No way in hell. Yes, Elliot is a great prospect. He had a good year and obviously a great finish. I don't think anyone in doubting that... but this is a joke. The kid had 44 yards on 12 carries against Navy. He had 69 yards on 12 carries against Rutgers. He only had 30 carries as a Freshman last year. He has a lot to learn still. You wanna be a star? Have a year like this again next year with a bulls eye on your back.
I generally agree with you, especially when specifically talking about Elliott. But don't underestimate the power of the almighty dollar to make people make odd choices.

PostPosted: Sat January 17, 2015 1:56 am 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

I generally agree with you, especially when specifically talking about Elliott. But don't underestimate the power of the almighty dollar to make people make odd choices.

True. I see that point too. Money talks. It's just a bad door to open. It could dilute the excellent product that is college football like it has college basketball with the coming and going. Baseball is kinda perfect where if you go to college you have to stay for three years or unless you are 21 after a certain date. I guess the point I was making is there have been many guys who have had better Freshman or Sophomore years. Guys like Peterson, Randy Moss, Michael Crabtree, Tommie Harris, etc. It opens a door that if Bobby football at whatever state has a good Freshman year he can be like oh I will sit out lalala and then he gets his ass handed him at the next level. Look at guys like Peyton Manning, Tim Duncan, Barry Bonds, Tony Gwynn, etc......three years of college (or more) never hurt anyone. Something that really hurt the NBA and has helped it a lot lately are the rules they use to have about entering the draft and the rules they have now.

PostPosted: Tue January 27, 2015 3:03 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

This is just ridiculous. The NCAA needs to die, and new, regional conferences need to reemerge.

Wake and UNC, from the ACC, are scheduling games, that won't count as conference games, so they can play each other. The notion of these divisions is stupid anyway. For example, Clemson played UVA in 2014, and will not play them again until 2024! What's the point of conferences if you play once a decade?

UNC and Wake took matters into their own hands, as this series won't count as conference play.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.co ... -and-home/

PostPosted: Fri February 27, 2015 6:31 pm 
Site Admin

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 13297.html

PostPosted: Mon March 16, 2015 5:23 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Guess I'll just stick this here:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... bo-swinney

It's re: Paying athletes.

I am pretty pro athlete for the most part. Mainly, I just think the NCAA needs to blow up, and a new governing body forms with things like actual regional conferences, and more lax rules for athletes, including ability to profit on some things / accept money / discounts / donations. Also the human decency thing, like if a player has a personal problem and the coach buys him / her a ticket home or lunch, or a gift, or whatever. Nothing wrong with that.

PostPosted: Mon March 16, 2015 5:26 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Oh also, sucks that Clemson was in this bit. I don't agree with coach Dabo Swinney on this. As with most things, there has to be middle ground.

PostPosted: Mon March 16, 2015 5:57 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Guess I'll just stick this here:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketb ... bo-swinney

It's re: Paying athletes.

I am pretty pro athlete for the most part. Mainly, I just think the NCAA needs to blow up, and a new governing body forms with things like actual regional conferences, and more lax rules for athletes, including ability to profit on some things / accept money / discounts / donations. Also the human decency thing, like if a player has a personal problem and the coach buys him / her a ticket home or lunch, or a gift, or whatever. Nothing wrong with that.
Damnit, I forgot to post that in here when I saw it this morning. Thanks for covering for me. And it's brilliant, absolutely brilliant. Here's the video below: anyone who defends the status quo needs to watch this first.

PostPosted: Mon March 16, 2015 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Oh also, sucks that Clemson was in this bit. I don't agree with coach Dabo Swinney on this. As with most things, there has to be middle ground.
Hypocrisy aside, paying coaches lavishly is the most defensible of all of the things schools spend lavishly on. They'd be off to the NFL and NBA otherwise.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports