The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: The NCAA sucks
PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2015 3:15 am 
mXn

Looks like Wisky is gonna drop this game. Thought they had it. 1:51 left Go Badgers

PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2015 3:18 am 
mXn

On that note how is it possible viewers at home get better replay video than the refs?

Unreal.

PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2015 3:24 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Holy crap did Bo Ryan totally get out coached in that one. Ouch.

PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2015 3:29 am 
The Master

badgers got this far in the tourney because dekker stepped up. tonight, he was a non factor.

PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2015 3:41 am 
Looks Like a Cat

spike wrote:
badgers got this far in the tourney because dekker stepped up. tonight, he was a non factor.

It looked like he was playing concussed tonight.

PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2015 3:51 am 
The Master

Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:

It looked like he was playing concussed tonight.

He always looks like that. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue April 07, 2015 12:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

Great game all around. Wouldn't be an NCAA game without a slew of questionable calls.

Grayson Allen was unexpected for me anyway but I liked his game and in college for a couple more years. I like the way both teams played really. Tyus Jones has been good all year but I don't think I ever expected that Duke team to be champs. Good for them.

Wisco's road was more difficult

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2015 4:18 am 
A Return To Form

Personally I really like the status quo. Since the players are the ones who fans come to see, the right thing to do would be to pay them. But that will be the end of college football as we know. Minor league football, instead of college football....it'll turn into any other minor league type sport.

Its unfair, I know, but I really don't care. I'm really liking the way its setup now.

We are an impossibility in an impossible universe.

PostPosted: Mon July 27, 2015 1:00 pm 
Site Admin

Redemption wrote:
Minor league football, instead of college football....it'll turn into any other minor league type sport.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. No minor league has the type of traditions, atmosphere, history, etc., that college football has. Paying players won't change any of that.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2015 7:17 am 
A Return To Form

Green Habit wrote:
Redemption wrote:
Minor league football, instead of college football....it'll turn into any other minor league type sport.
I'm not sure how you come to that conclusion. No minor league has the type of traditions, atmosphere, history, etc., that college football has. Paying players won't change any of that.

I think it would. A lot of people agree with me. The tradition and history of a lot of these storied programs...the focus- trading players, contracts, salary caps, the focus would shift to that....I'm all for paying players that don't make it to the NFL a stipend for a number of years, but its just not the same if they're being payed.

Like a microcosm of society, what is the motivation, at your core, for the things you do? Is it to make money-for the %1 of college players that make it to the NFL, sure, it probably is. The rest play for pride, to win, for their tradition, for those that came before them and made that school what it was. Not a paycheck. And that's what's stake...

As it is....for me anyway...every single game is a playoff.....1 loss and the season could be over.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2015 2:17 pm 
AnalLog

Redemption wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Redemption wrote:

I think it would. A lot of people agree with me. The tradition and history of a lot of these storied programs...the focus- trading players, contracts, salary caps, the focus would shift to that....I'm all for paying players that don't make it to the NFL a stipend for a number of years, but its just not the same if they're being payed.

Like a microcosm of society, what is the motivation, at your core, for the things you do? Is it to make money-for the %1 of college players that make it to the NFL, sure, it probably is. The rest play for pride, to win, for their tradition, for those that came before them and made that school what it was. Not a paycheck. And that's what's stake...

As it is....for me anyway...every single game is a playoff.....1 loss and the season could be over.

Are you so sure their motivation isn't to get paid? Even if they prob won't make the NFL (most don't). Nearly 1/2 don't graduate, so they aren't killing themselves for an education. Many come from poor upbringings.

They get free room and board, a bunch of free shit from boosters, and in some instances cash. I'm guessing that is more important than nostalgia.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2015 2:49 pm 
Site Admin

Redemption wrote:
The tradition and history of a lot of these storied programs...the focus- trading players, contracts, salary caps, the focus would shift to that....I'm all for paying players that don't make it to the NFL a stipend for a number of years, but its just not the same if they're being payed.
Allowing players to be compensated doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be done exactly like the NFL does. I honestly don't know what the best system would be, since we're so far away from even getting that far. But that doesn't mean we can't take some baby steps. You mentioned one such way with stipends. Another one that I complain about a lot is that players should be able to control their own likeness.

Redemption wrote:
I don't see how playing for pride and playing to win the game can't be mutually inclusive with playing for some money. The coaches do it all the time--should we telling Nick Saban that he should be coaching for those things instead of $7 million per season? And that's something we shouldn't forget: plenty of people and entities do make money off of college football, yet we seem to have some hangup on compensating the people that are ultimately responsible for the product in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2015 3:45 pm 
AnalLog

Green Habit wrote:
Redemption wrote:
The tradition and history of a lot of these storied programs...the focus- trading players, contracts, salary caps, the focus would shift to that....I'm all for paying players that don't make it to the NFL a stipend for a number of years, but its just not the same if they're being payed.
Allowing players to be compensated doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be done exactly like the NFL does. I honestly don't know what the best system would be, since we're so far away from even getting that far. But that doesn't mean we can't take some baby steps. You mentioned one such way with stipends. Another one that I complain about a lot is that players should be able to control their own likeness.

Redemption wrote:
I don't see how playing for pride and playing to win the game can't be mutually inclusive with playing for some money. The coaches do it all the time--should we telling Nick Saban that he should be coaching for those things instead of $7 million per season? And that's something we shouldn't forget: plenty of people and entities do make money off of college football, yet we seem to have some hangup on compensating the people that are ultimately responsible for the product in the first place.

So much this.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2015 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
So much this.
Right, it's worth emphasizing that the problem isn't only that colleges aren't directly paying their players (and hell, maybe that isn't a problem!) The bigger problem is that players aren't allowed to get additionally compensated in any other fashion, even if the schools aren't involved.

PostPosted: Tue July 28, 2015 7:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
So much this.
Right, it's worth emphasizing that the problem isn't only that colleges aren't directly paying their players (and hell, maybe that isn't a problem!) The bigger problem is that players aren't allowed to get additionally compensated in any other fashion, even if the schools aren't involved.

This is really it. It's the attempt, to legislate fairness (impossible) by trying to treat every player as if they were exactly the same (they aren't). The NCAA has already admitted this anyway by creating a true playoff system in the FCS division and in D3 with no athletic scholarships.

It's completely the money aspect of the game that has led to the money funnel that is the College Football Playoff.

Why is it ok to be a business in every aspect except when it comes to a player making money off his own name and likeness that his efforts provided?

It frankly is a red herring that most will "go pro" in other fields.

It's about the money, it's ALWAYS about the money.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2015 2:18 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

I don't think colleges should turn into farm teams for the NFL, and I do not think the players should flat out be paid.

I would rather tweak the rules so players get payments in the form of: scholarships, food / meal plans, tutoring, insurance, and whatever else I'm not thinking of right now.

For star players, if they can make money off their name via autographs, jersey sales, EA's College Football game, whatever, then I think that is ok too.

I think something needs to change, but I don't know if I'm on board with just paying players a salary / hourly wage.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2015 8:50 am 
A Return To Form

Green Habit wrote:
Fuck You Jobu wrote:
So much this.

They've been talking about allowing players to get a percentage from their jersey sales, also allowing them to sell autographs, which is huge. also heard they are thinking about a $2000 stipend for all players.;...and of course NCAA on the playstation is done. EA sports might have to dish out a lot of cash for that.

Also their education is paid for, which ...some schools that's tens of thousands of dollars.....not a bad deal with just that.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2015 1:45 pm 
The Master

Mizzou student athletes will get an additional $3700 per year than what they've currently been receiving. I know they receive a tuition waiver and roughly $800-1,000 per month for housing and food if they live off campus; not to mention all of the free clothes, professional opportunities with connected alumni, and exposure if they are a full-ride scholarship player. I agree star athletes should get a cut of jersey sales and autographs, etc. This seems like a pretty good deal for the other 95 percent of the student athletes though.

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2015 2:37 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
I don't think colleges should turn into farm teams for the NFL, and I do not think the players should flat out be paid.

I would rather tweak the rules so players get payments in the form of: scholarships, food / meal plans, tutoring, insurance, and whatever else I'm not thinking of right now.

For star players, if they can make money off their name via autographs, jersey sales, EA's College Football game, whatever, then I think that is ok too.

I think something needs to change, but I don't know if I'm on board with just paying players a salary / hourly wage.

Why not?

I wrote this earlier in the thread:

In regards to the players getting a college education as compensation, how does that affect someone like Devin Hester? He's not intelligent at all, but he did bring in a lot of money to Miami, so how will an 'education' help him? He's not bright enough to graduate. To put it another way, say I wanted to hire you to come clean up my big yard that is full of dogshit. It's a huge yard with a lot of dogs and you'll work very hard shoveling >10hrs a day. I won't pay you any money. But I will teach how to become a super-advanced rocket engineer that will be worth millions!! This education does require a Mensa type intelligence. I'll see you reporting for work tomorrow, right? I mean the education is worth millions of dollars.

Also, how much of an "education" are most of these guys getting if they are spending all their time in the gym, going to meetings, practicing? It's basically a full time (+OT), so how much time is left for this "free education"? Some can manage sure, but as we're seeing more can't.... Look at the SEC graduation rates...

Sure they should be able to get food/shelter. And they should get insurance if injured while practicing/playing. That's a no-brainer. But why aren't they compensated at a market value like 99% of the other jobs. With training, gym, travel to games, meetings and practice, this is a fulltime job. Would you be working your fulltime job without money compensation and for free cafeteria food?

PostPosted: Wed July 29, 2015 3:23 pm 
The Master

Fuck You Jobu wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Why not?

I wrote this earlier in the thread:

In regards to the players getting a college education as compensation, how does that affect someone like Devin Hester? He's not intelligent at all, but he did bring in a lot of money to Miami, so how will an 'education' help him? He's not bright enough to graduate. To put it another way, say I wanted to hire you to come clean up my big yard that is full of dogshit. It's a huge yard with a lot of dogs and you'll work very hard shoveling >10hrs a day. I won't pay you any money. But I will teach how to become a super-advanced rocket engineer that will be worth millions!! This education does require a Mensa type intelligence. I'll see you reporting for work tomorrow, right? I mean the education is worth millions of dollars.

Also, how much of an "education" are most of these guys getting if they are spending all their time in the gym, going to meetings, practicing? It's basically a full time (+OT), so how much time is left for this "free education"? Some can manage sure, but as we're seeing more can't.... Look at the SEC graduation rates...

Sure they should be able to get food/shelter. And they should get insurance if injured while practicing/playing. That's a no-brainer. But why aren't they compensated at a market value like 99% of the other jobs. With training, gym, travel to games, meetings and practice, this is a fulltime job. Would you be working your fulltime job without money compensation and for free cafeteria food?

Average cost of attendance at Mizzou for an in-state student is $21,000. The average wage in the state of Missouri is $29,000. Throw in the the extra $3,700 athletes will now be paid. There is more to college than just going to class too. I think a lot of things need to change with the NCAA but the money is pretty fair for the average athlete.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports