The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Scuba Diving
PostPosted: Tue December 30, 2014 7:55 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

So my wife and I got PADI certified in scuba diving for our wedding a while back, and did our open-water certification on our honeymoon (Bora Bora). It was absolutely incredible, and as a result got me hooked. After, I'd been diving in Cozumel (x3) and other places around the Caribbean. And I actually got pretty good at it, getting certified in advanced open water, nitrox, and ship wrecks (precisely so I could dive in Lake Michigan).

But then . . . But then I had kids, and my goal of diving at least 3-4 times a year took a hit. Since my oldest was born, I've been diving exactly once.

We'll be Playa del Carmen in early February, and I'm thinking of taking a refresher course so I can take the ferry to Cozumel for a couple of dives, possibly including a night dive. This has got me pretty excited.

Anyone else dive?

Post subject: Re: Scuba Diving
PostPosted: Sun January 04, 2015 9:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I got my open water after changing cities 14 years ago or so, have dived a few local spots and in Thailand, but like you - it's been a while since I've been out

PostPosted: Tue January 06, 2015 10:38 pm 
The Master

Id love to do this because im fucking frightened of the ocean. I am hoping to go to either thailand or just costa rica or something this spring and would love to give it a shot.

PostPosted: Mon January 19, 2015 6:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
Id love to do this because im fucking frightened of the ocean. I am hoping to go to either thailand or just costa rica or something this spring and would love to give it a shot.

Do it! I used to be terrified of deep water where I couldn't see the bottom (even though I'm a perfectly good swimmer). Scuba diving changed by entire perspective of it.

PostPosted: Tue February 03, 2015 1:37 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I went scuba diving a couple times in Hawaii. I never got completely comfortable but the same time it was an incredible experience.

PostPosted: Sun February 22, 2015 1:05 am 
Rank This Poster

Man, this makes me sad. During college, my whole family got certified, and then we took a drive trip to Cozumel. Before college was over, we went to the Caymans. In 1999 I did my student teaching in Oz, and during a 2 week break, I traveled up to Cairns and went out on the Great Barrier Reef for 4 days. Incredible! It still stands as the last time I scuba dived.

PostPosted: Wed July 19, 2023 12:59 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i haven't done this in a long time

i kind of want to do it again

but it's also a lot of schlep with the gear etc

might rather just snorkel somewhere clear and warm

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed July 19, 2023 1:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

This reminds me. I need to book my refresher course

PostPosted: Thu September 28, 2023 10:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Rangi Guy wrote:
This reminds me. I need to book my refresher course

First day of fresher course happening tomorrow. Got an Email of what to bring this morning, and one of the things was proof of my Open Water certification. Went through my wallet to take it out, and it wasn't there. Spent a wee while fruitlessly looking for it - thinking I might need to get a note from my mum saying I was all good to go, but eventually found my card, so we're all set

PostPosted: Fri September 29, 2023 12:31 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I let my certification lapse years ago. I wouldn’t mind getting back into it with Rangi

PostPosted: Fri September 29, 2023 12:38 am 
Mind Your Tanners

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I let my certification lapse years ago. I wouldn’t mind getting back into it with Rangi

Let's do it!!!

PostPosted: Fri September 29, 2023 12:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i will hang out on the boat drinking and losing track of the adverse weather headed our way

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Fri September 29, 2023 12:57 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Well it looks like we have our team - now all we need to do is plan the heist and let all sorts of hijinks unfold

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports