The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Re: On Sport: A Think Tank of Form Sportification
PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 2:02 pm 
mXn

Dear dad, I’m sorry this thread didn’t catch on the way you’d hoped.

I’ve been there. You get over it and you move on. It’s ok.

Here let me bump a second page for you.

Love, Bammer

PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 2:28 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Bammer wrote:
Dear dad, I’m sorry this thread didn’t catch on the way you’d hoped.

I’ve been there. You get over it and you move on. It’s ok.

Here let me bump a second page for you.

Love, Bammer

dear Bammer,

it's okay.

i can always talk to myself in this thread.

Love,

dad

PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 2:45 pm 
AnalLog

I check Reddit and Brew Hoop (SB Nation) for Bucks stuff a couple times a week.

For running stuff, numerous podcasts for commentary and irunfar.com for news. Letsrun.com sometimes.

I was a longtime Deadspin reader but lost interest in that style of commentary so I haven't followed them to Defector.

PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 3:46 pm 

espn daily podcast, hosted by Pablo Torre, recently did a four-part series on twenty years of PTI. worth a listen even if you didn't watch the show.

part one

part two

part three

part four

PostPosted: Tue November 23, 2021 3:57 pm 

ghost wrote:
I check Reddit and Brew Hoop (SB Nation) for Bucks stuff a couple times a week.

For running stuff, numerous podcasts for commentary and irunfar.com for news. Letsrun.com sometimes.

I was a longtime Deadspin reader but lost interest in that style of commentary so I haven't followed them to Defector.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:36 pm 

spoiler'd because this came from a site i subscribe to.

Spoiler: show
THE SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS AND THE GUY IN A FIGHT WHO ONLY KNOWS HOW TO HEADBUTT

Here are all the great quarterbacks, and also Jimmy Garoppolo. The NFL playoffs are underway, and are currently sporting a sore and strikingly handsome thumb.

This past weekend of NFL action featured Joe Burrow leading the Bengals to a road playoff win, extending Joe Burrow’s streak of actual messiah antics for any team named after tigers, and accomplishing what no other Bengal in the history of the franchise ever has. He might be Jesus. I don’t say that lightly: God might be Joe Burrow’s real dad.

There was more. Matthew "Talladega Afternoons" Stafford howitzered a stunning ball fifty yards downfield to Cooper Kupp to set up a game-winning field goal at the end of the game for the Rams. Stafford has performed a public service by eliminating Tom Brady from the playoffs, and for that, America owes him our equivalent of a noble title: A new 2022 F-150 King Ranch.

Josh Allen and Pat Mahomes played the best NFL game I have ever seen on Sunday night, and then fell on each other like spent prize fighters in the postgame swarm, each one recognizing both how awesome the other is, and also that the situation would have been reversed if a coin had landed another way at the beginning of halftime.

None of these are the sore thumbs. Neither is Aaron Rodgers, an exasperating human being who should be in the playoffs because he remains one of the most talented quarterbacks alive, even if it turns out his brain’s rev limiter tops out at about 800 rpms when it comes to anything off the field. He probably should have won this weekend, too: Green Bay had home field advantage, an offense that (unlike San Francisco) could score on demand, and the aforementioned brain genius at quarterback ready to throw balls no one else on earth even dares to attempt right now.

The other quarterback in the game went 11/19 for 131 yards, zero TDs, and one interception. His team won, boosting his lifetime postseason record to 4-1, because Jimmy Garoppolo might be the luckiest sumbitch on the planet, and because Green Bay became the first team this century to allow a blocked field goal and blocked punt in the same NFL game. Their special teams coach left on an ice floe early Sunday morning: He belongs to Canada now.

The four quarterbacks left are three guys who can throw the ball through the moon off their back foot, and Jimmy Garoppolo.

Before we go any further, it should be restated that Jimmy Garoppolo might be the luckiest quarterback ever born. Full context here: I never watched Jimmy Garoppolo play a down of college football. My excuse will be that he played at Eastern Illinois State, an FCS school best known for being the alma mater of Tony Romo, and that he was rarely on television. A two-star recruit, Garoppolo only had offers from two other schools, Illinois State and Montana State, and made the most of being wildly underscouted, winning the Walter Payton Award for best offensive player in the FCS and throwing for over 5000 yards and 53 TDs his senior year.

Then again: The lack of total interest in Garoppolo coming out of high school might be part of a pattern. Garoppolo landed in FCS, where he feasted on DBs who would be going pro in something other than sports much earlier than FBS defensive backs. It's not like accepting the offers he had was a sandbagging move: Garoppolo, through random circumstance and luck, just ended up at a place where he could look incredible in context, and make himself known as a potential asset ready for a leap at the next level.

That leap happened to be getting picked in the second round of the NFL Draft by the New England Patriots, and starting his career in a steady, easy spot backing up the extremely durable Best Quarterback Ever. Garoppolo played sporadically before filling in for Brady during 2016’s Deflategate suspension, looking good in a couple of games before succumbing to a shoulder injury. Garoppolo would finish that season as the only active Patriots player to not see the field in the Super Bowl. But he still got a ring out of it.

The following year, and based off a total of two games as a starter, the San Francisco 49ers traded a second-round pick for Garoppolo. He became the starter by week 12, and won five straight against trashcan competition to finish the season, giving the 49ers real hope for 2018 before tearing his ACL in game three and missing out on most of the agonies of an eventual 4-12 campaign. (Even this man’s injuries come with some kind of upside.)

In 2019, Garoppolo finally got to put together a full season. It was a good one — 3,978 yards total passing with 27 TDs and 13 INTs — and along with the Niners’ brutal defense got the squad to the Super Bowl. A 21-point fourth quarter by the Chiefs unraveled the Niners, whose last gasps included a game-ending INT by Garoppolo.

Injuries limited him for much of 2020. In 2021, he floated back to something like baseline Jimmy G, and despite struggling for much of the postseason, the 49ers are one win away from a rapid return trip to the Super Bowl.

In summary: This unnervingly handsome man has, at every turn, been blessed with nearly perfect timing, and is riding an unbroken fortuitous professional hot streak. And the worse he’s played in the biggest spots in the game, the better his team has done! Going into this NFC Championship Game, Garoppolo somehow has a 4-1 record in the postseason.

How? I repeat, but louder: HOWWWWW???

The issue of how Garoppolo has managed to remain on the field will have to remain a mystery for a few reasons. The first starts with his coach, Kyle Shanahan, who can’t really explain it himself, despite the team drafting Trey Lance in 2021 as the obvious successor to Garoppolo. "Too handsome to bench" is not just a joke: Based on the total information provided, it may be as good an explanation as anything else, because no one I've talked to seems to know.

Him staying on the field, though, ensures that all the things working for the 49ers to this point remain unchanged. San Francisco's defense carries the team. The offense boasts a top-five rushing attack, and moves at a glacial pace. Halfway through the season, Shanahan pulled a Madden-level depth chart trick by taking the Niners’ best offensive player, Deebo Samuel, and lining him up in the backfield for carries at running back. George Kittle catches balls across the middle. When he doesn’t do that, they happily punt.

Garoppolo isn’t exactly an afterthought — but he can feel like one. On a crucial third and long against the Packers late Saturday, in a situation where any other quarterback left in the playoffs would have gotten the green light to bomb one, the Niners … lined up and ran a trap with Deebo Samuel instead. It’s not that it wasn’t the best play for the Niners, because it was. It’s that in a crucial moment, the best play on a long third down involved their expensive starting quarterback handing the ball off to a wide receiver moonlighting as a running back.

Garoppolo may also be perfect for the 49ers, and part of a long football tradition still practiced by some of the most depraved teams. A team with a QB has options at every spot on the field, and in every situation. The Kansas City Chiefs and Buffalo Bills, for instance, both carry with them the very real possibilities both of winning a game where their defense decides to curdle into so much useless cottage cheese for several quarters, and of winning games where they miss a few field goals. The margins of error for the NFL's haves remain pretty wide, and the menu limitless.

For teams like the 49ers, though, there is no rescue squad coming. No, for them, more so than any other team left in the NFL playoffs, every yard truly does matter. (The Chiefs will also say this, but lying is free.) There is no plan B, no magical thirteen-second comeback waiting deep in the deck to be dealt when all other options fail.

Everyone on that team knows this, and it shows up in the numbers. The defense hustles to pressure and score on every play, because they know they have to. George Kittle and Deebo Samuel are both top-twenty receivers in YAC because they are good, but maybe also because in this offense, with Jimmy Garoppolo at QB, they know every completion truly matters.

There is a focus and a commitment to the ethos of being a run-first, defensive football team that is only made possible with the partial or complete absence of a game-changing quarterback on the other side of the ball. That’s just facts, and anyone who’s watched any of the best knuckle-dragging teams of all time knows this. The Baltimore Ravens won a Super Bowl like this. Kirk Ferentz has been employed for two decades at Iowa using this exact model of football, and Hall of Fame careers have been built off the notion of reducing every single game to the same brutal fight in a ditch between mean men who only touch the ball by knocking it out of someone else’s hand.

I don’t want to imply here that this is completely intentional. The 49ers drafted Trey Lance because they know this isn’t sustainable, and that’s part of what makes Jimmy Garoppolo’s continued success at quarterback for the 49ers so funny. Millions of dollars have already been spent on him, and millions more have gone into his replacement, and yet despite all that, the best viable option for a professional football team is a quarterback who spins four times on a single play, and is openly accepted as a liability to his own team.

At the same time, I don’t want to imply that successful design can’t be found in the happy wreckage of an accident. In construction terms, Jimmy Garoppolo is a non-load bearing quarterback. To compensate for that, the rest of the team has to carry the weight. This makes them insanely dangerous, just like every other football team determined to drag opponents with “plans” and “ambitions” into an alley for a sixty-minute brickfight, one where the outcome seems secondary to inflicting as much thumping damage on the other guys as possible.

The lack of a quick-strike marvel at quarterback hands the Niners this year’s brute crown, the franchise embodiment of the person in a fight best described as The Guy Who Only Headbutts Pople. It’s not that anyone wants to be Guy In A Fight Who Only Headbutts People, but damned if it doesn’t work like a charm when that’s the only option you have.

(It’s also nice if you have Deebo Samuel playing at least three positions trying to make something, anything happen for this team. The program he played for in college must have been incredible.)

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:40 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Thought this was gonna be a fox.

PostPosted: Thu January 27, 2022 6:50 pm 

that'll be the next spoiler.

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2022 5:04 am 
mXn

So fkn pumped for Naomi Osaka’s new media company

PostPosted: Sat June 25, 2022 5:20 pm 

is this sarcasm, or are you all in?

PostPosted: Thu September 01, 2022 1:45 am 

i wonder if he's as kind as those eyes.

PostPosted: Thu March 16, 2023 4:45 am 
mXn

When I see some of these World Baseball Classic crowds … I don’t EVER want to hear a North American sports franchise claim it has “the best fans” because fuck you, no you don’t.

PostPosted: Tue February 06, 2024 4:11 pm 

I used to love watching old NFL Films of past Super Bowls on ESPN, almost obsessively. Just in general, if NFL Films was on I'd be locked in, mostly because I loved hearing John Facenda narrate. I don't know if ESPN or NFL Network still does this, but on the run-up to the Super Bowl, ESPN used to air a marathon of the NFL Films Super Bowl highlights from SB I up to the latest.

The story in this video about SB I is one I've never heard.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports