The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Re: The Hiking Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 13, 2021 9:07 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

great pics, guys. wish i lived a little closer to some mountains or decent hikes.

this is some inspiring stuff here; great to see a thread for it.

PostPosted: Sat August 28, 2021 10:21 pm 
Future Drummer

Just did a test pack for a 5 day, 4 night trip. I’m at 38lbs fully packed, including 2 glasses of wine for 2 people each night.

Pretty psyched for this adventure. 49km with beach camping 3 of three nights. As west coast as you can get, nothing but Pacific until Hawaii and Japan. Will be Fiona’s first backpacking trek. If all goes well she’ll accompany me to do Anna Purna in a couple years. Fiona’s bone and muscle structure is just a slight bit off on one side. The all out admiration I have for her when we finish a hard hike is such a good and pure feeling. I am looking forward to holding her in the absolute highest esteem during this outing.

PostPosted: Mon September 13, 2021 4:56 pm 
Future Drummer

What a good adventure.
Day 1 - 20+ km day. It was a long day. I felt the weight of my pack (46lbs with water). More technical than I expected or am used to for backpacking. Coastal hiking in a temperate rainforest. Roots and mud was the game, and a lot of mini ups and down. Hit camp about 6pm, It rained a little overnight.
Day 2 - We packed up a slightly wet tent and had a relatively easy 9 km. The first 2 kilometres were tough as the rain made it a little more muddy and the start was a lot of uphill. Beach camped that night, Beautiful spot. Pulled into camp about 2:30pm, had lots of time to relax and explore. The weather was perfect. Shorts and t-shirt until bedtime.
Day 3 - This was a tough day. Only 10km but a lot of elevation with some quite technical climbing. The first 90 minutes was all uphill. It got much easier after that. More beach camping that night with time to relax. More perfect weather.
Day 4 - We knew this was going to be the toughest day. 16 km and double the elevation of the day before, at nearly 800 metres. I took on some weight from Fiona and was back up to 46 lbs or so. The first couple kilometres were tough as hell. One of the kilometres took over an hour. The regular trail had been washed out in a mud slide. The re-routed trail was tough. One spot was a 15 foot mud wall I had to crawl up. I was pretty beat at the end of the day. Spirits lifted though by more beach camping. Light rain when we hit camp but it stopped by the time we wanted to eat.
Day 5 - We woke to rain, ate and tore down to rain and then hiked in rain. The rain made my pack heavier than the day before but knowing the care was at the end with dry clothes was nice. It was 9 km to the car.

All in all, it was great . Everyone we met along the way was so nice. This was Fiona's first backpacking trip and my first without porters/sherpas in 30 years. We made a few mistakes gear wise but overall presented well. Not sure Fiona is up for more than a two night trip in the future but there will definitely be more week or more ventures in my future.

PostPosted: Mon September 13, 2021 9:57 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
What a good adventure.
Day 1 - 20+ km day. It was a long day. I felt the weight of my pack (46lbs with water). More technical than I expected or am used to for backpacking. Coastal hiking in a temperate rainforest. Roots and mud was the game, and a lot of mini ups and down. Hit camp about 6pm, It rained a little overnight.
Day 2 - We packed up a slightly wet tent and had a relatively easy 9 km. The first 2 kilometres were tough as the rain made it a little more muddy and the start was a lot of uphill. Beach camped that night, Beautiful spot. Pulled into camp about 2:30pm, had lots of time to relax and explore. The weather was perfect. Shorts and t-shirt until bedtime.
Day 3 - This was a tough day. Only 10km but a lot of elevation with some quite technical climbing. The first 90 minutes was all uphill. It got much easier after that. More beach camping that night with time to relax. More perfect weather.
Day 4 - We knew this was going to be the toughest day. 16 km and double the elevation of the day before, at nearly 800 metres. I took on some weight from Fiona and was back up to 46 lbs or so. The first couple kilometres were tough as hell. One of the kilometres took over an hour. The regular trail had been washed out in a mud slide. The re-routed trail was tough. One spot was a 15 foot mud wall I had to crawl up. I was pretty beat at the end of the day. Spirits lifted though by more beach camping. Light rain when we hit camp but it stopped by the time we wanted to eat.
Day 5 - We woke to rain, ate and tore down to rain and then hiked in rain. The rain made my pack heavier than the day before but knowing the care was at the end with dry clothes was nice. It was 9 km to the car.

All in all, it was great . Everyone we met along the way was so nice. This was Fiona's first backpacking trip and my first without porters/sherpas in 30 years. We made a few mistakes gear wise but overall presented well. Not sure Fiona is up for more than a two night trip in the future but there will definitely be more week or more ventures in my future.

Awesome. This sounds like a fun trip.

What/how did you pack for food?

I need a good long backpacking adventure.

PostPosted: Mon September 13, 2021 11:26 pm 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
What a good adventure.

Oatmeal with dried cranberries to sweeten it every morning. We ate protein bars, trail mix and dried fruit for lunches. Dried, packaged food (just add water variety) for dinner. Tetra pack wine and some craft rye as a nightcap each night.

You definitely get to eat better on shorter trips.

I saw a couple day trek in the Tetons I'd like to do next summer. Alpine hiking is so much easier. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/travel/teton-crest-trail.html?searchResultPosition=1

PostPosted: Tue September 14, 2021 1:46 am 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
What a good adventure.

Oatmeal with dried cranberries to sweeten it every morning. We ate protein bars, trail mix and dried fruit for lunches. Dried, packaged food (just add water variety) for dinner. Tetra pack wine and some craft rye as a nightcap each night.

I saw a couple day trek in the Tetons I'd like to do next summer. Alpine hiking is so much easier. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/30/travel/teton-crest-trail.html?searchResultPosition=1

Ha, i read about that teton crest trail in that article. Sounds like getting camp sites is a pain in the ass though. I love the tetons but....

I live in the goddamn rockies. I should just head out for a week next summer and hike to all my favorite lakes.

PostPosted: Tue September 14, 2021 5:40 am 
Future Drummer

Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
Strat wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:
What a good adventure.

Ha, i read about that teton crest trail in that article. Sounds like getting camp sites is a pain in the ass though. I love the tetons but....

I live in the goddamn rockies. I should just head out for a week next summer and hike to all my favorite lakes.

If you need company…..

PostPosted: Tue September 14, 2021 12:21 pm 
mXn

These are nice pictures and stories and whatnot, but nobody knows what celcius or kilometer means. Please speak English.

PostPosted: Tue September 14, 2021 12:27 pm 

bammer

PostPosted: Tue September 14, 2021 3:30 pm 
Future Drummer

Bammer wrote:
These are nice pictures and stories and whatnot, but nobody knows what celcius or kilometer means. Please speak English.

I am trying to expand your learning experiences to include RM. 20km = 12 miles, 16km = 10 miles, 10km = 6 miles ad 9km = 5.4 miles.

PostPosted: Tue September 14, 2021 6:19 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Bammer wrote:
These are nice pictures and stories and whatnot, but nobody knows what celcius or kilometer means. Please speak 'Murica.

Fixed that for you.

PostPosted: Tue September 14, 2021 7:07 pm 
mXn

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu September 16, 2021 2:09 pm 

snd, sounds you do you quite a bit of thru-hiking, yeah?

or am i misreading your post and you partake in section hiking?

either way, they sound very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Thu September 16, 2021 5:24 pm 
Future Drummer

dad wrote:
snd, sounds you do you quite a bit of thru-hiking, yeah?

or am i misreading your post and you partake in section hiking?

either way, they sound very enjoyable.

We hiked thru. It can be done in sections but it's a six hour drive/ferry for us to get there. We met people along the way though that come down for just a day or two and do section. Every campsite had an exit to the highway that was less than a 5 km hike.

Now that all the gear has dried, been cleaned and put away I have some time to post some photos.

Beach Hiking

Botanical Beach

Views from bridges were nice

The trail was in need of some loving

Bear Beach, our last night on the trail

PostPosted: Mon April 11, 2022 5:30 pm 

last night, i watched all of the videos this guy has posted so far... https://www.tiktok.com/@pctdude?is_from ... _device=pc

my wife told me about him.

if i'm in decent shape by the time i'm ready to retire, hiking the PCT is definitely something i'd consider.

i think i'd want to section hike it a couple of times before then to get a feel for it. i admire anyone who's able to spend that amount of time in the wild.

PostPosted: Mon April 11, 2022 10:12 pm 
The Master

My friend did it a couple years ago. The first week in she got such awful blisters she thougth she'd have to tap out. Ultimately healed was able to finish it just in time of her schedule. Was fun following along.

If i ever get my sleeping under control id like to do it. Most ive ever spent in the woods is 6 nights.

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 12:09 am 
Future Drummer

Ordered a new day pack. An Osprey Stratos 26. A touch big for day hiking but I like that it can handle an overnight.

We are set to do a 4 day, 3 night trek on the Howe Sound Crest Trail in August, https://www.outdoorvancouver.ca/feature ... est-trail/

Plans to do an overnighter every month through the summer and fall. Have to get my girl comfortable enough to do Anna Purna with me before I turn 60.

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 12:37 am 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
Ordered a new day pack. An Osprey Stratos 26. A touch big for day hiking but I like that it can handle an overnight.

We are set to do a 4 day, 3 night trek on the Howe Sound Crest Trail in August, https://www.outdoorvancouver.ca/feature ... est-trail/

Plans to do an overnighter every month through the summer and fall. Have to get my girl comfortable enough to do Anna Purna with me before I turn 60.

I'll be curious if you can utilize that thing as an overnight! Unless you are doing lightweight camping id be surprised!

PostPosted: Tue April 12, 2022 12:38 am 
The Master

Actually maybe not, looked at the wrong one first.

Could be pushing it but i respect it!

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports