The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: How big a role do sports play in your life?
PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 4:48 am 
Rank This Poster

I cannot imagine a world without them.

Sundays from September through January are my favorite days of the year.

It was beautiful here on Sunday, but I did not go outside until Andy Murray won Wimbledon.

I watch PTI every day, even though I don't give a shit about Chicago, New York, or Dwight Howard.

When the Vikings lost to the Saints in the NFC championship a few years ago, I stood in the shower the next morning for 20 minutes hating life.

I coach junior high baseball and play soccer with my 6 year old every day.

If sports weren't on tv, I wouldn't need directv at all. I'd just have hbogo and netflix.

Post subject: Re: How big a role do sports play in your life?
PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 7:04 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

I often ponder which of the following I would rather have if I had to eliminate the other from my life:

Music or Sports

I always choose to keep music, but only barely. Sports is right up there.

The other "pretend-game" I like to play is choosing between:

"Never hear one Pearl Jam song again," or "Never watch another hockey game again."

I shudder thinking about both.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 2:28 pm 
The Master

A huge one. I don't know what I would without golf in the summer, football in the fall, and basketball in the winter and spring.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 2:33 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

A big one but not huge.

It's really two teams for me, one college football team, and one NFL team. After football season, I take a break until next football season. During football season though, I follow those two teams pretty intensely. I guess as a by-product I end up following teams they are playing somewhat, more so if it's a division or conference foe.

I didn't watch one NBA game this year, watched some of March Madness, no hockey, no golf, no nascar, no tennis, no biking, no x game stuff, no skiiing, and I've watched like 10 baseball games so far.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
A big one but not huge.

It's really two teams for me, one college football team, and one NFL team. After football season, I take a break until next football season. During football season though, I follow those two teams pretty intensely. I guess as a by-product I end up following teams they are playing somewhat, more so if it's a division or conference foe.

I didn't watch one NBA game this year, watched some of March Madness, no hockey, no golf, no nascar, no tennis, no biking, no x game stuff, no skiiing, and I've watched like 10 baseball games so far.
This is pretty close to where I am, as well. Weekends in the fall are designed for football. Once February rolls around, though, it usually feels good to take a break. As everyone here knows well, though, I still follow the NFL draft and free agency pretty intensely in the offseason.

I'll watch some baseball if the Red Sox are doing good, and maybe catch the random tennis or golf event once in a while.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 2:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

im a huge sports nerd

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 2:52 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I only watch the Bronco games during NFL, watch a lot of golf, no basketball, very little hockey, maybe 2 or 3 baseball games a year and a little tennis

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
A big one but not huge.

This is pretty close to where I am, as well. Weekends in the fall are designed for football. Once February rolls around, though, it usually feels good to take a break. As everyone here knows well, though, I still follow the NFL draft and free agency pretty intensely in the offseason.

I'll watch some baseball if the Red Sox are doing good, and maybe catch the random tennis or golf event once in a while.

The Nationals had a pretty good season last year, so I hopped on the bandwagon. They've been on / off this year, so I'm kinda on, kinda off that bandwagon too. I'm a fairweather baseball fan.

They're trying to make football nearly year round, and it damn near is now. I try not to get too involved with it, other than the drat during the off-season. I do enjoy pre-season though. I know that's weird, but it gives me a chance to check out the rookies / back-ups, and guys fighting for a roster spot. It's also kinda fun to watch football where I"m not so intense about it. Like I could care less of the Redskins lose in pre-season, I just want to see how the rooks + backups are doing, and see how the supposed weak / strong parts of the team look. This year, my focus will be on the secondary and Kirk Cousins.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 3:04 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

At one point around middle school and high school i watched almost only sports. I was a fan of baseball, football (both college and pro) , basketball (both college and pro) , hockey, nascar, motorcross, x games, golf, and Olympics. Im not sure if i just don't have time to keep up with everything, or as i got older i kept finding things that turned me off of a lot of them, but now i love the nfl, but that's about all Im dedicated to. I was a huge baseball fan growing up and while i follow the braves, i could care less about the rest of mlb, i know i was turned off by the strikes, but don't know if that was all of it, and basketball probably the same, though in basketball Im only a fan of lebron. hockey is hard to find on tv so i lost interest, and college sports seem more and more just an inconvenience to players who just wanna be in the pros, and the lack of a playoff in football still sucks most years, so i watch the ncaa tourney and the football championship but not any of the regular season. Im still a pretty big fan of nascar, but only for 1 driver and if he wrecks or something then i just turn the race off, and i get pretty into the Olympics, but that's just every 2 years. All others i just have no interest in any more.

So they seem to be a much smaller part of my life, but i keep up with the nfl and fantasy football 12 months of the year, and maybe that just kicked everything else to the side

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 3:17 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Nearly nonexistent these days, save for joining the occasional game of b-ball or soccer. I used to be in the wrestling team in high school. That's about it. I've never followed any sports team, but I do go to the World Cup parties whenever Argentina wins anything.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 3:19 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

sportsfreakpete6 wrote:
I often ponder which of the following I would rather have if I had to eliminate the other from my life:

Music or Sports

I always choose to keep music, but only barely.

:| Fuck, man.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 3:20 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

any videos of you wrestling that you can post here?

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 3:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

theplatypus wrote:
Nearly nonexistent these days, save for joining the occasional game of b-ball or soccer. I used to be in the wrestling team in high school. That's about it. I've never followed any sports team, but I do go to the World Cup parties whenever Argentina wins anything.

As far as participating in, these days i am playing on a coed softball team but losing interest and my body is struggling to hold up to it, i very rarely these days play golf because its not cheap, but I've become addicted to disc golf which is free to play everywhere in my area, and seems to be something i can play multiple times a week with out causing me too much pain

Damn, that makes it sound like Im 50 :lol: , Im not 35 yet and all the dumb shit i did when i was younger makes me feel like i am 50

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 3:57 pm 
Future Drummer

My emotional attachment to sports and teams has faded in the last 30 years. Moving to the west coast just made it harder to follow the teams I loved growing up and being active myself, I always chose playing sports over watching. Now I have season tickets to hockey and soccer, but treat those more as a fun night out with a buddy than actively following my team.

I do like using sports as a reason to hit up somewhere new. I've been to 18 ballparks, 6 NFL stadiums, 8 NHL rinks, 4 NBA stadiums. Being in Fenway for a game is just cool, or the old Boston Gardens. Same for seeing an NFL game in Oakland, well except for being half scared to death by the crowd at times. I love the social aspect of sports, and the whole tailgating thing in some NFL cities is frickin' awesome. I hate the business side and greed in the sports, far too many players are prima donnas and douchebags. But the people I attend with and meet are usually just awesome.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 4:00 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I'm not a big sports fan in general but I do have my teams I follow.
I'm a baseball fan but don't follow it day to day or game to game. I like college football and am a Georgia fan but not nearly as devout as some folks around here locally are. I do laugh when people say the college game is better because there isn't the money involved like the NFL or that football factory X is better academically than football factory Y. That may well be but there's no 100,000 seat stadiums built for debate tournaments.
But I do love the NFL. For all it's corporate-ness and MARKETING! MARKETING! MARKETING! hype they've got me hook, line and sinker. For watchability alone no game transfers to big screen HD as well, not even close. I grew up with the Falcons but try to keep up at least with the headlines on the other 31 teams. I like wondering how SF will adapt without Crabtree or how RGIII's rehab is going or if Chip Kelly's scheme will work or what Andy Reid can do in KC or how Rob Ryan will do in New Orleans or who Brady will throw to.
That said I don't care much about the other sports. March Madness is fun though.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 4:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Growing up (until junior high) I played hockey from August-April and then did lacrosse until summer, which is when I'd go to goalie camp and then start pre-season hockey. I pretty much only watched the Bs on TV or in person (with the occasional Giants or Sox games). I've talked before how we rooted for the Giants b/c my dad was a fan growing up in NJ. Then, when Parcells jumped to NE, my LT pennants were replaced by Bledsoe. By the time I was at college, I had become much more interested in everything Boston Sports (partly b/c I had to represent in enemy territory: Upstate NY) mostly b/c all the teams had started to develop into consistent playoff contenders. Fantasy sports only added fuel to the fire. I've stopped doing fantasy sports, but i'm a sucker for the friend that "just needs one more owner so we can have the draft." I watch and follow all of the Boston teams in the 4 major sports, with the Bs as my #1 team and the Pats as #2.

long story short, spectating sports is very important to me.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 4:40 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

when the school year is in swing i play basketball at least twice a week. during that time i miss a few hockey games cause they are usually at the same time as me playing. i've only missed basketball due to injury and its never been more than a week thankfully. friends and family know not to ask me to do anything on those nights. i have even not gone out on dates cause it would interrupt my basketball plans.

for me when i play hoops it allows me not to think about anything that is weighing heavy on my mind. when my parents passed away i did not miss and it was a godsend. for those two hours i was able to forget about how sucky life can be.

when i played deck hockey and since it was so close to where i lived i was always the guy who got called or asked to help other teams out who were short on players. though basketball i take very seriously (yes im a total dick when i play though i wont argue calls unless i know it will get under the other teams skin) hockey i was a clown. i knew my role and tried to do what i was told to the best of my ability (which wasnt much) and i had several people threaten to fight me cause of my ass-clownery. then when i was on their team they understood what and why i did what i did. they still wanted to kill me, but for being annoying, not cause i was a dick.

watching sports i was very avid with NBA and college hoops but i have lost interest in that lately (last two years or so). Football i will watch every sunday (Mostly steeler games but will watch monday night or the sunday alt games) Hockey i try to watch when i can but mostly follow online.

used to play fantasy (hockey, football and basketball) a ton. exit42, cbssportsline, yahoo, local newspaper pickems. but got tired of that too so now i am down to just March Madness pools.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 7:35 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
It's also kinda fun to watch football where I"m not so intense about it.
This is why I'm glad I'm not a fan of any specific college team (although I do have a pecking order of teams I like more than others). I can just sit back and enjoy the chaos without any serious emotion involved.

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

surfndestroy wrote:
Same for seeing an NFL game in Oakland, well except for being half scared to death by the crowd at times.
:haha: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue July 09, 2013 7:49 pm 
RM Elitist

I wish I loved sports as much as I used to. I still love reading about them, talking about them, sharing opinions and ideas.. and if you follow my twitter, making jokes. I look at standings, read articles and rumors.

But too often I dont love WATCHING them actively as anything other than background noise. I dont get mad or frustrated (well the lions sometimes). I just enjoy the enjoyment that comes from success for the teams I care about.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports