The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 8:32 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm
Posts: 3389
I was at wrestlemania 23. Trump shaved Vince McMahons head and took a stunner from Stone cold Steve Austin.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 8:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu September 28, 2017 8:58 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Vancouver, WA
verb_to_trust wrote:
Did you feel the rumble?


Absolutely. I was sitting near a railing, and at first it felt like someone was shaking the railing. Then it got bigger, and I knew it was an earthquake. It didn't feel that bad though, the crowd cheered when it was done - we obviously didn't know the extent of the damage. I remember the spread of misinformation throughout the stands, especially someone saying the entire Bay Bridge had collapsed into the Bay.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 9:24 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
50 Million Feet of Earth... wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Did you feel the rumble?


Absolutely. I was sitting near a railing, and at first it felt like someone was shaking the railing. Then it got bigger, and I knew it was an earthquake. It didn't feel that bad though, the crowd cheered when it was done - we obviously didn't know the extent of the damage. I remember the spread of misinformation throughout the stands, especially someone saying the entire Bay Bridge had collapsed into the Bay.

thats one of those moments you remember where you were...I was driving home after work in downton denver listening to the pre game on the radio and it just went silent a few miles before i got home to watch it unfold on tv


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 9:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Yeah Yeah Yeah
 Profile

Joined: Thu September 28, 2017 8:58 pm
Posts: 83
Location: Vancouver, WA
doug rr wrote:
50 Million Feet of Earth... wrote:
verb_to_trust wrote:
Did you feel the rumble?


Absolutely. I was sitting near a railing, and at first it felt like someone was shaking the railing. Then it got bigger, and I knew it was an earthquake. It didn't feel that bad though, the crowd cheered when it was done - we obviously didn't know the extent of the damage. I remember the spread of misinformation throughout the stands, especially someone saying the entire Bay Bridge had collapsed into the Bay.

thats one of those moments you remember where you were...I was driving home after work in downton denver listening to the pre game on the radio and it just went silent a few miles before i got home to watch it unfold on tv


I remember where I was for the Laettner shot. Watching at a friend's house with my best friend who is a die hard Kentucky fan :haha:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 10:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 65627
JuanHamm wrote:
I was at wrestlemania 23. Trump shaved Vince McMahons head and took a stunner from Stone cold Steve Austin.

Let's try to keep it to sporting events, Tommy

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 10:11 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 6:10 pm
Posts: 3389
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
JuanHamm wrote:
I was at wrestlemania 23. Trump shaved Vince McMahons head and took a stunner from Stone cold Steve Austin.

Let's try to keep it to sporting events, Tommy


It's sport adjacent


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Wed July 08, 2020 10:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 65627
Are you hiring? I might need a job soon

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 3:06 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed March 02, 2016 3:34 am
Posts: 278
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Really cool topic, sorry I'm so late to the party, lol..

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I was at the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game where Laettner hit "the shot".

that's awesome - definitely, as a die hard Duke fan - one of those "I can tell you exactly where I was and who all was there,etc.." moments for me. Watching a game a Cameron is number one on my sport's bucket list. Been in the gym and on the walked on the court, but never had a chance to see a game there.

As far as famous games - not sure it's as big as I remember, but bc I grew up in Dayton it was a pretty infamous thing - but I was at the game between Cincy and the Mets where Pete Rose got thrown out for poking an umpire in the eye. What people seem to forget about that game bc of that is that there was a huge bench clearing brawl a couple innings later. Cant remember the who the Reds' pitcher was, but he plunked a second guy that night and freaking Strawberry comes walking out of the Mets' dugout carrying a bat. Lloyd McClendon was catching that night and he sprinted to get between Darryl and the pitcher. Once he reached Staw, all hell broke loose. It was awesome for a then 6th grade me to watch. Mets were my favorite team back then.

On a side note, one of my classmates called me out of the blue the next day and asked if wanted to go to the Reds game with him. I was extremely pumped bc I knew Gooden was on the mound that day - and I had just done a book report on him for the book "Rookie". Of course with last night on the mind, for Strawberry's first bat the whole crowd is booing him. First pitch, he sends it upper deck at the old Riverfront stadium. It was awesome.

I was at a history making game (I think I remember the announce stating that), but I don't think it's that's famous. I was at a game where three sets of brothers were in the starting line up for the same team - the Larkins, The Boones, and I think maybe the O'Neil's(?).

_________________
"I don't see things quite the same as I used to...."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 3:36 pm 
Online
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 16777
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
DissidentRival4 wrote:
Really cool topic, sorry I'm so late to the party, lol..

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I was at the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game where Laettner hit "the shot".

that's awesome - definitely, as a die hard Duke fan - one of those "I can tell you exactly where I was and who all was there,etc.." moments for me. Watching a game a Cameron is number one on my sport's bucket list. Been in the gym and on the walked on the court, but never had a chance to see a game there.

As far as famous games - not sure it's as big as I remember, but bc I grew up in Dayton it was a pretty infamous thing - but I was at the game between Cincy and the Mets where Pete Rose got thrown out for poking an umpire in the eye. What people seem to forget about that game bc of that is that there was a huge bench clearing brawl a couple innings later. Cant remember the who the Reds' pitcher was, but he plunked a second guy that night and freaking Strawberry comes walking out of the Mets' dugout carrying a bat. Lloyd McClendon was catching that night and he sprinted to get between Darryl and the pitcher. Once he reached Staw, all hell broke loose. It was awesome for a then 6th grade me to watch. Mets were my favorite team back then.

On a side note, one of my classmates called me out of the blue the next day and asked if wanted to go to the Reds game with him. I was extremely pumped bc I knew Gooden was on the mound that day - and I had just done a book report on him for the book "Rookie". Of course with last night on the mind, for Strawberry's first bat the whole crowd is booing him. First pitch, he sends it upper deck at the old Riverfront stadium. It was awesome.

I was at a history making game (I think I remember the announce stating that), but I don't think it's that's famous. I was at a game where three sets of brothers were in the starting line up for the same team - the Larkins, The Boones, and I think maybe the O'Neil's(?).

Try again, less words this time

_________________
Peetah from Woostah wrote:
That Bammah post is a work of ahht.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 3:51 pm 
Offline
Broken Tamborine
 Profile

Joined: Wed March 02, 2016 3:34 am
Posts: 278
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Bammer wrote:
DissidentRival4 wrote:
Really cool topic, sorry I'm so late to the party, lol..

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I was at the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game where Laettner hit "the shot".

that's awesome - definitely, as a die hard Duke fan - one of those "I can tell you exactly where I was and who all was there,etc.." moments for me. Watching a game a Cameron is number one on my sport's bucket list. Been in the gym and on the walked on the court, but never had a chance to see a game there.

As far as famous games - not sure it's as big as I remember, but bc I grew up in Dayton it was a pretty infamous thing - but I was at the game between Cincy and the Mets where Pete Rose got thrown out for poking an umpire in the eye. What people seem to forget about that game bc of that is that there was a huge bench clearing brawl a couple innings later. Cant remember the who the Reds' pitcher was, but he plunked a second guy that night and freaking Strawberry comes walking out of the Mets' dugout carrying a bat. Lloyd McClendon was catching that night and he sprinted to get between Darryl and the pitcher. Once he reached Staw, all hell broke loose. It was awesome for a then 6th grade me to watch. Mets were my favorite team back then.

On a side note, one of my classmates called me out of the blue the next day and asked if wanted to go to the Reds game with him. I was extremely pumped bc I knew Gooden was on the mound that day - and I had just done a book report on him for the book "Rookie". Of course with last night on the mind, for Strawberry's first bat the whole crowd is booing him. First pitch, he sends it upper deck at the old Riverfront stadium. It was awesome.

I was at a history making game (I think I remember the announce stating that), but I don't think it's that's famous. I was at a game where three sets of brothers were in the starting line up for the same team - the Larkins, The Boones, and I think maybe the O'Neil's(?).

Try again, less words this time


Reds/Mets. Rose Tossed. Bench Clearing brawl.

_________________
"I don't see things quite the same as I used to...."


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 4:26 pm 
Offline
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 7:25 pm
Posts: 697
Location: Cleveland
Game 6 of the 07 Eastern Conference Finals when the Cavs clinched their first trip to the Finals.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 5:06 pm 
Online
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 16777
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
DissidentRival4 wrote:
Bammer wrote:
DissidentRival4 wrote:
Really cool topic, sorry I'm so late to the party, lol..

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I was at the 1992 Duke/Kentucky game where Laettner hit "the shot".

that's awesome - definitely, as a die hard Duke fan - one of those "I can tell you exactly where I was and who all was there,etc.." moments for me. Watching a game a Cameron is number one on my sport's bucket list. Been in the gym and on the walked on the court, but never had a chance to see a game there.

As far as famous games - not sure it's as big as I remember, but bc I grew up in Dayton it was a pretty infamous thing - but I was at the game between Cincy and the Mets where Pete Rose got thrown out for poking an umpire in the eye. What people seem to forget about that game bc of that is that there was a huge bench clearing brawl a couple innings later. Cant remember the who the Reds' pitcher was, but he plunked a second guy that night and freaking Strawberry comes walking out of the Mets' dugout carrying a bat. Lloyd McClendon was catching that night and he sprinted to get between Darryl and the pitcher. Once he reached Staw, all hell broke loose. It was awesome for a then 6th grade me to watch. Mets were my favorite team back then.

On a side note, one of my classmates called me out of the blue the next day and asked if wanted to go to the Reds game with him. I was extremely pumped bc I knew Gooden was on the mound that day - and I had just done a book report on him for the book "Rookie". Of course with last night on the mind, for Strawberry's first bat the whole crowd is booing him. First pitch, he sends it upper deck at the old Riverfront stadium. It was awesome.

I was at a history making game (I think I remember the announce stating that), but I don't think it's that's famous. I was at a game where three sets of brothers were in the starting line up for the same team - the Larkins, The Boones, and I think maybe the O'Neil's(?).

Try again, less words this time


Reds/Mets. Rose Tossed. Bench Clearing brawl.

:thumbsup:

If it’s famous, one sentence (or less) will generally suffice.

_________________
Peetah from Woostah wrote:
That Bammah post is a work of ahht.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 8:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 12:41 pm
Posts: 6945
i was 14 or 15 and over a friends house. we were playing tag football on the street when his neighbor comes out and asks if he and his friend could play. his neighbor played for the bears superbowl team.

he and his friend come out and they are lined up against us. i looked across and saw the scariest eyes i have ever witnessed glaring at me

Image

_________________
doug rr wrote:
i was busy grilling meat...i'll try to keep up..i could use some help from you cunts when its busy though


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 57379
Location: September 2020 Poster of the Month
Norris wrote:
Bruins vs Leafs game 7 comeback in 2013.

Besides this I was also at game 1 of the 2018 World Series. And of course who can forget the Red Sox 2006 Patriots Day morning game when Mark Loretta hit a walk-off home run over the Green Monster against "Everyday" Eddie Guardado of the Seattle Mariners.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Thu December 10, 2020 9:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23903
Peeps wrote:
i was 14 or 15 and over a friends house. we were playing tag football on the street when his neighbor comes out and asks if he and his friend could play. his neighbor played for the bears superbowl team.

he and his friend come out and they are lined up against us. i looked across and saw the scariest eyes i have ever witnessed glaring at me

Image

Did you piss yourself, Jer Bear?

I was on a plane back to Chicago with Singletary a few years ago. Short dude.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Fri December 11, 2020 9:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 12:41 pm
Posts: 6945
spike wrote:
Peeps wrote:
i was 14 or 15 and over a friends house. we were playing tag football on the street when his neighbor comes out and asks if he and his friend could play. his neighbor played for the bears superbowl team.

he and his friend come out and they are lined up against us. i looked across and saw the scariest eyes i have ever witnessed glaring at me

Image

Did you piss yourself, Jer Bear?

I was on a plane back to Chicago with Singletary a few years ago. Short dude.


he was so effin scary. i mean he literally had those eyes and we were kids. it was a fun time though

_________________
doug rr wrote:
i was busy grilling meat...i'll try to keep up..i could use some help from you cunts when its busy though


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Sat December 12, 2020 3:15 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 2:21 am
Posts: 3395
Most of mine are hockey related. I have been to a couple of Canada Cup final games, with one of them from tickets from Mario Lemieux after we met him and a few others in a Montreal famous strip club. I have some 4th year finance book with is a few others autographs somewhere. World Junior finals where all we did was boo Larkin every time he touched the puck. Looking back, I t was pretty brutal thing to do to a 17 year old kid.

I am sure there are a few other monumental games but three stick with me.

1. A baseball game my Mom took me to for a birthday present. I was probably six or seven and we were not a rich family. Tickets six rows up behind the catcher.

2. The first Canada Cup final in 1976. My Dad took me, standing room only tickets. Bobby Orr’s last great game.

3. A Mighty Ducks game in Anaheim I took my kid to as a surprise when we were visiting Disneyland. VP where I worked game me $200 specifically to take my son to a game. My kid was and still is a Ducks fan,

I am sure I loved the games but couldn’t tell you the score of any of them. The people part, that I’ll never forget.

_________________
Think I’m going to try being kind to everyone a chance.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Sat December 12, 2020 11:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
I think a more interesting question for sports fans would be to name your least famous sporting event. I want to hear about those mundane Tuesday night dollar dog games, people.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Sat December 12, 2020 11:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:04 pm
Posts: 57379
Location: September 2020 Poster of the Month
You know what would be more interesting? Some less interesting stories. - Reid


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Your most famous sporting event
PostPosted: Sat December 12, 2020 11:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
It's buried deep in the rough, under the weight of so many more interesting things, that we often find the shiniest diamonds.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed March 03, 2021 6:01 am