The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next

Who will win the national championship?
Clemson 33%  33%  [ 2 ]
LSU 67%  67%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 6
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 3:55 am 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23382
Location: Mizzou
I feel like the 2+ weeks between games is going to make this a weird one. I guess I'll go with LSU?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 3:56 am 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 63751
96583UP wrote:
can someone update the poll to reflect the actual opponents?

Vote already

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 4:01 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 18117
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
96583UP wrote:
can someone update the poll to reflect the actual opponents?

Vote already


yaaaaaas <crushes beer can on forehead>

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon January 13, 2020 4:04 am 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 14439
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
Tigers, baby!

_________________
PM me for tips on writing a great signature.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 6:59 am 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 14439
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
Jeebus nobody here cares about college sports

_________________
PM me for tips on writing a great signature.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 1:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 63751
I live in Clemson country and SEC country. I'm sick of it.

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 2:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6765
Bammer wrote:
Jeebus nobody here cares about college sports

:wave:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 2:52 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23382
Location: Mizzou
I love college football. It's the best. The playoffs have really take away from the other bowls though. I don't think I watched more than an hour or two of all the other bowls combined.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6765
I've never really like talking or bragging about success (mine or sports teams I follow), so I feel kinda weird talking about Clemson. I was a kid when they were winding down a solid stretch that lasted from the late 70's to the early 90's. I remember (kinda) the 90's and how bad they were, falling to pretty much irrelevant levels. When Bowden took over, Clemson was at a low point and far behind the times (recruiting, facilities, coaching, etc..). Tommy Bowden did some good and definitely got them on the right track. His problem is that Clemson was frustratingly inconsistent. Beat a top 10 Miami team, then lose to Duke. Close but no cigar was pretty much the norm. 7-5, 8-4, and if we were lucky maybe 9-3 was the reality. Mediocrity was the standard.

In 2003 Bowden hired Dabo as the WR coach and recruiting coordinator. More talent started making their way to Clemson (James Davis, CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford), but the results were still the same. Close, but not close enough. Over the past decade, the turn around the team has made has been unreal. Since the 2011 season, the team is 111- 16. As fans we've been spoiled, "Clemsoning" now means winning championships, best is the standard. It's been a remarkable run, and it looks like it's going to continue. Another top recruiting class is on its way, and the team returns a lot of players. I'll be pretty surprised if Clemson is not in the playoffs again this coming season. All good things eventually end, but until that happens, I'm just enjoying the ride and appreciating how far the team has come along.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 3:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 14439
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
Yep, your instinct was right. STFU about stupid Clemson.

:D

_________________
PM me for tips on writing a great signature.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 3:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6765
Bammer wrote:
Yep, your instinct was right. STFU about stupid Clemson.

:D

:lol:
Spoiler: show
:finger:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 4:22 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23382
Location: Mizzou
darth_vedder wrote:
I've never really like talking or bragging about success (mine or sports teams I follow), so I feel kinda weird talking about Clemson. I was a kid when they were winding down a solid stretch that lasted from the late 70's to the early 90's. I remember (kinda) the 90's and how bad they were, falling to pretty much irrelevant levels. When Bowden took over, Clemson was at a low point and far behind the times (recruiting, facilities, coaching, etc..). Tommy Bowden did some good and definitely got them on the right track. His problem is that Clemson was frustratingly inconsistent. Beat a top 10 Miami team, then lose to Duke. Close but no cigar was pretty much the norm. 7-5, 8-4, and if we were lucky maybe 9-3 was the reality. Mediocrity was the standard.

In 2003 Bowden hired Dabo as the WR coach and recruiting coordinator. More talent started making their way to Clemson (James Davis, CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford), but the results were still the same. Close, but not close enough. Over the past decade, the turn around the team has made has been unreal. Since the 2011 season, the team is 111- 16. As fans we've been spoiled, "Clemsoning" now means winning championships, best is the standard. It's been a remarkable run, and it looks like it's going to continue. Another top recruiting class is on its way, and the team returns a lot of players. I'll be pretty surprised if Clemson is not in the playoffs again this coming season. All good things eventually end, but until that happens, I'm just enjoying the ride and appreciating how far the team has come along.


I like Clemson and I'm happy for their success, but they really have benefited from a weak ACC these past few years. You can only beat the teams in front of you and they've taken advantage of it.

Do they have any big non-conference games scheduled for the next few years?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue January 14, 2020 6:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 6765
Monkey_Driven wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
I've never really like talking or bragging about success (mine or sports teams I follow), so I feel kinda weird talking about Clemson. I was a kid when they were winding down a solid stretch that lasted from the late 70's to the early 90's. I remember (kinda) the 90's and how bad they were, falling to pretty much irrelevant levels. When Bowden took over, Clemson was at a low point and far behind the times (recruiting, facilities, coaching, etc..). Tommy Bowden did some good and definitely got them on the right track. His problem is that Clemson was frustratingly inconsistent. Beat a top 10 Miami team, then lose to Duke. Close but no cigar was pretty much the norm. 7-5, 8-4, and if we were lucky maybe 9-3 was the reality. Mediocrity was the standard.

In 2003 Bowden hired Dabo as the WR coach and recruiting coordinator. More talent started making their way to Clemson (James Davis, CJ Spiller, Jacoby Ford), but the results were still the same. Close, but not close enough. Over the past decade, the turn around the team has made has been unreal. Since the 2011 season, the team is 111- 16. As fans we've been spoiled, "Clemsoning" now means winning championships, best is the standard. It's been a remarkable run, and it looks like it's going to continue. Another top recruiting class is on its way, and the team returns a lot of players. I'll be pretty surprised if Clemson is not in the playoffs again this coming season. All good things eventually end, but until that happens, I'm just enjoying the ride and appreciating how far the team has come along.


I like Clemson and I'm happy for their success, but they really have benefited from a weak ACC these past few years. You can only beat the teams in front of you and they've taken advantage of it.

Do they have any big non-conference games scheduled for the next few years?

Totally. I would say the biggest difference the last few years and the Bowden / early Dabo days were Clemson was good for blowing one, or two, or three of the "should win" games (beat FSU, lose to Wake Forrest). Nowadays, they take care of business, and pretty much beat all the teams they "should" beat, so we're seeing 11-1 and 12-0 seasons out of them.

This coming season they have their standard two cupcakes (I really hate this), Notre Dame, and South Carolina. As for the ACC I hope the conference bounces back a little. There really is no reason FSU, Miami, VA Tech, and Clemson can't all be perennial top 25 teams. Others should be in the mix too....GA Tech and UNC need to step it up, and it looks like UVA is getting on the right track.

The cupcake problem is all due to SEC and ACC teams wanting 7 home games. They pay teams like Wofford or the Citadel to go to Clemson and play, thus giving them the 7th home game. Any team from the P5 won't play a game at Clemson without a home and home, so the only teams that do it are the cupcakes. I would rather the ACC move to 9 conference games and drop a cupcake game.

In a few years, Clemson and LSU have a home and home. That should be pretty fun.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Wed February 05, 2020 3:24 pm 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23382
Location: Mizzou
The two different signing days have taken the fun of today.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon March 23, 2020 12:18 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 3390
Trey Sermon to Ohio State as a graduate transfer. The rich get richer. They’ll have a crazy run game next fall if the season happens anyway.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon March 23, 2020 6:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 12744
Location: An office full of assholes
the graduate-transfer rule is such a weird anomaly in college athletics.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2020 1:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:08 pm
Posts: 6695
Location: 5th floor, Bay 7, position 5740
Will this be the year they finally admit the "student" part of student athlete doesn't really matter, at least regarding football? That college football really is just about the money now?
And if there is no football that will effect the budgets of every other college sports teams.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/04/08/college-football-future-2020-ncaa-coronavirus


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2020 4:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 14439
Location: Growing dick, fixing and filing things.
I thought for sure the bump in this thread would be an official cancellation of the season.

_________________
PM me for tips on writing a great signature.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue April 14, 2020 11:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 24338
Location: Illinois
Bammer wrote:
I thought for sure the bump in this thread would be an official cancellation of the season.


There will be no season. Do you really need to wait for it to be official?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Wed April 15, 2020 12:32 am 
Online
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 23382
Location: Mizzou
I hear murmurs that there could be a shortened season in the Spring.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3026 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Monkey_Driven and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sat August 08, 2020 3:47 am