The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 209  Next

Who will win the national championship?
Clemson 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
LSU 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 6:43 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Not sure if that addresses your question... Do I "see any problem with a coach criticizing player compensation when he's making millions". TLDR version: yes, but....
I just think that coaches have to be really careful in commenting on that kind of stuff. What you said is perfectly fine from the perspective of a fan. If I were in Dabo's position, I just would have said, "That's something for the NCAA and the school presidents to figure out", and then move on to the next question.

I agree with that. If I were fortunate enough to be in his position, I would keep my mouth shut about pretty much all political / cultural issues.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 6:57 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Orpheus wrote:
The quotes in that article are very troubling. And Alabama and Clemson were certainly built, at least originally, by racists for racists. So was almost every institution in the South. That's just facts.

I think it's a good article that you're probably taking a little too personally.

Perhaps, but it's not good journalism. They fail to mention that Dabo gave 1 million of his own salary towards the booster club known as IPTAY. I'm not sure if there a lot of coaches that use their salary to help fund the athletic facilities. It also fails to mention his charities, and the large amounts of money he donates. Not to mention he has the team, himself included, actively involved with Habitat for Humanity.

Furthermore the author makes it sound like Dabo is some slave master abusing his players. The players all have a choice to go to Clemson or not, or to play football or not. Like these are miserable times with miserable coaches, and the players are forced to do what they do. Last I checked a lot of the players looked like this:

The author is quick to call out Dabo as if he were a slave master bully, but his article is bullshit. So the author knows the thoughts and feeling of every player on the team? He knows what is best for them? Equating football to slavery is itself arrogant, elitist, and uninformed.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2017 4:24 am 
Rank This Poster

The thing is, Dabo has been in their shoes, he knows their situation well, and players love that guy. My opinion differs from his quite a bit, but he certainly speaks from a position of knowledge and He's a great passionate coach. I believe he loves his players and he loves what he does. As coaches go, he's pretty genuine and that's rare.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2017 3:23 pm 
Future Drummer

Did we read the same article? The article I read said it was problematic for a man coaching on a former plantation to be talking about the "entitlement" of (mostly black) players while he's paid $6 million to coach, which is absolutely true.

Obviously his players are thrilled they won a title. But that's now. The vast majority won't make the NFL and some of those guys will have lifetime health problems/pain from playing college ball, which is something a scholarship won't pay for or correct. None of the arguments against additional compensation usually amount to anything more than rich old men saying "well, I just don't think it's the way the game oughta be." College football makes billions of dollars. It's time for the labor (which players absolutely are, don't kid yourself) to receive a more equitable share.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2017 4:00 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Yes, we read the same article. He takes things out of context, makes Dabo seem like a slave master b/c he's white and in the south. The author's rant is like a witch hunt. Look, I don't know how other schools do it, but Clemson does it right. Dabo makes sure the players grow as men, graduate (Clemson football has one of the highest grad rates in the nation), and tells them the truth. The article comes off like a pompous wanker, and a typical snob who thinks he knows / speaks for others. He doesn't know shit about the Clemson program, and just attacks Dabo. How am I supposed to take that seriously? Then to equate that southern football is bad b/c the south had slaves and white coaches who make money off players is some kind of racist slave master? Please. The article is bullshit.

jwfcocker said: "I was just trying to get the general feeling out there...." Then he should have presented a piece about how the NCAA needs to do something about making money off of players in the form of: Payroll, ease of restrictions, stipends, etc...He posted a hack job article that shits on Clemson and Dabo. The author makes it about Dabo's large salary but then fails to mention the things he does with that salary. Nearly half of it is given back in the form of reinvesting in the school, giving to local charities in SC, and using his salary to pay his assistants more. If the author is going to make it about money, and how the evil Dabo makes a shit ton of it, he should at least acknowledge the good Dabo does for his staff, school and state.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2017 4:09 pm 
Future Drummer

Like I said, I think you're taking it way personally and reading a lot of things into it that aren't there, but I get it, it's college football.

Congrats on the title.

PostPosted: Thu February 02, 2017 4:21 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I probably am taking it too personally. I do wish Dabo would think before he speaks about issues like this. At the end of the day, I think we're mostly on the same team (those who post in this thread). I just really think the author is wrong about Dabo, Clemson, and southern football.

Ultimately I want changes. I wouldn't even mind something radical like blowing up the NCAA and starting over. If a player can make money off his / her name, then I'm all for them getting paid. I also believe the scholarships, personal trainers, exclusive gyms, nutritionist, private tutors, meals, and boarding all have a price and that is a form of compensation.

I would take that compensation further and allow players to get royalties from: video games, autographs (if they feel like charging for it), higher stipends, post grad health insurance, etc...

PostPosted: Sun February 05, 2017 3:38 am 
mXn

If I'd known that Clemson beating Bama would turn this into the Dabo Swinney thread, I would have rooted for Bama.

PostPosted: Tue February 07, 2017 5:10 pm 
The Master

sark leaving bama to become the falcons OC :shock:

PostPosted: Tue February 07, 2017 5:44 pm 
Rank This Poster

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:

Well, he's going plenty of experience losing championship games... so he's our guy for sure.

PostPosted: Tue February 07, 2017 5:48 pm 
The Master

Electromatic wrote:

Well, he's going plenty of experience losing championship games... so he's our guy for sure.

just heard dabo is leaving clemson to become the falcons chaplain

PostPosted: Tue February 07, 2017 6:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:

Does he have to leave Clempson for that?

It's weird to me that Sark and Kiffin have this ability to just get great jobs no matter what they do.

PostPosted: Tue February 07, 2017 7:14 pm 
The Master

Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

It's weird to me that Sark and Kiffin have this ability to just get great jobs no matter what they do.

wma's, man

PostPosted: Tue February 07, 2017 7:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

wma's, man

ha ha.

but back to non Dabo Topics I think Jalen Hurts is going to have a good year next year and I'll be interested to see if LSU can manage to find a passing game.

PostPosted: Tue February 07, 2017 10:23 pm 
The Master

Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

wma's, man

ha ha.

but back to non Dabo Topics I think Jalen Hurts is going to have a good year next year and I'll be interested to see if LSU can manage to find a passing game.

jalen will not be the starter next year

PostPosted: Wed February 08, 2017 12:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

Who do you think will be the signal caller for Alabama next year Lenny?

PostPosted: Fri February 24, 2017 9:37 pm 
Rank This Poster

Things that should happen to Hugh Freeze following the NCAA investigation.... Nothing.

He's doing his job.

PostPosted: Sun February 26, 2017 12:33 am 
The Master

Electromatic wrote:
Things that should happen to Hugh Freeze following the NCAA investigation.... Nothing.

He's doing his job.

if he is fired i'm sure alabama will just hire him

PostPosted: Sun February 26, 2017 6:43 am 
mXn

Electromatic wrote:
Who do you think will be the signal caller for Alabama next year Lenny?

Len quit dodging the question

PostPosted: Fri April 07, 2017 5:41 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

What is the rationale for Michigan holding spring football practices in Italy?
No, seriously, the entire team is going to Rome at the end of the month.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 209  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports