The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 209  Next

Who will win the national championship?
Clemson 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
LSU 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Fri January 13, 2017 8:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

We should just nuke the south and publicly shame people the watch college football. Good thing the north is so perfect.

PostPosted: Sat January 14, 2017 2:11 pm 
AnalLog

Nope. We should just call out people for being stupid. I mean I will. I live in the south. I love college football. Nothing wrong with calling out BS when you see it.

PostPosted: Sat January 14, 2017 2:37 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

That article you posted is pure shit man. I can't take a fucking ounce of it seriously. :shake:

So they shit all over Bama and Clemson for being southern schools with lots of black players with lots of white boys who follow the teams. Yeah, this is 100% exclusive to Clemson and FSU. It also doesn't give you the full rant of Dabo when he went on to say he's open to alternatives. Pure hack job journalism right there.

PostPosted: Sun January 15, 2017 1:56 am 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
So should colleges just do away with sports? Move college sports to semi-pro leagues or something?

Why? They are money makers for many schools. If you have an ethical problem with it Go D3.

The real problem is the forced amateurism in sports that are everything but including the Athletic scholarship.

Oh sure your talents are great to make us money, but if you try...... you're evil. Sign with an agent? The devil.

Spokesperson for a sandwich shop? Oh hell no.

Not one single scholarship athlete in FBS is amateur.

Yeah, that's why I am totally on board them them getting royalties and such. Salaries, I don't know.

A full scholarship is salary enough to me, I'm just against preventing them from getting whatever they can because of who they are. Men and Women alike.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 1:51 pm 
The Master

Signing day...

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 1:59 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Can we have Penn St. play Baylor sometime in the next couple of years? Loser has to kill their football program.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 2:45 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

To me national signing day is one of the biggest "so what?" day on the sports calendar.
*part of that is being a Georgia fan and annually seeing a top 10 class with nothing to show for it.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 2:54 pm 
The Master

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
To me national signing day is one of the biggest "so what?" day on the sports calendar.
*part of that is being a Georgia fan and annually seeing a top 10 class with nothing to show for it.

I agree. I don't really pay attention to recruiting until the kids are on campus anyway.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 3:10 pm 
AnalLog

darth_vedder wrote:
That article you posted is pure shit man. I can't take a fucking ounce of it seriously. :shake:

So they shit all over Bama and Clemson for being southern schools with lots of black players with lots of white boys who follow the teams. Yeah, this is 100% exclusive to Clemson and FSU. It also doesn't give you the full rant of Dabo when he went on to say he's open to alternatives. Pure hack job journalism right there.

Hahaha I'm a Florida State fan and that wasn't the point neither was the point about alternatives. I was just trying to get the general feeling out there. I can post more articles too and I can rant about 'alternatives' because that is bullshit but you do you.

Last edited by jwfocker on Wed February 01, 2017 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 3:14 pm 
AnalLog

Recruiting is the life blood of college football but it does get too much media coverage. It kind of takes the enjoyment out of it. I still love it. Recruit well and you win. If you don't, you lose.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 3:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

jwfocker wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

Hahaha I'm a Florida State fan and that wasn't the point neither was the point about alternatives. I was just trying to get the general feeling out there. I can post more articles too and I can rant about 'alternatives' because that is bullshit but you do you.

:shake: I don't... I don't even know what to say to you man.. You're the worst.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 4:09 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Clemson may not have a top 10 class this year because of numbers. The team is loaded with underclassmen now. so there is not a need to sign like 20+ players. The rankings seem to consider total signed which to me doesn't tell the whole picture. A better indicator is team needs and is the team targeting the right guys (both for the position and team dynamics).

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:

It obviously isn't contained to Clemson and Bama, and the article is provocative, but I have to agree with the central point, of which I mentioned on the last page. Coaches who make millions of dollars from college football should be the last people on earth to criticize paying players, even if they try to temper that criticism with alternatives.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 4:24 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
Clemson may not have a top 10 class this year because of numbers. The team is loaded with underclassmen now. so there is not a need to sign like 20+ players. The rankings seem to consider total signed which to me doesn't tell the whole picture. A better indicator is team needs and is the team targeting the right guys (both for the position and team dynamics).

Yeah, it is better to look at an average of the team rankings over three or four years.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 4:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

It obviously isn't contained to Clemson and Bama, and the article is provocative, but I have to agree with the central point, of which I mentioned on the last page. Coaches who make millions of dollars from college football should be the last people on earth to criticize paying players, even if they try to temper that criticism with alternatives.

I dont find that article to be provocative at all. He got a sample from some news clip, and turned it into Bama and Clemson are racists institutions b/c well, they're in the south. Junk journalism.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

I dont find that article to be provocative at all. He got a sample from some news clip, and turned it into Bama and Clemson are racists institutions b/c well, they're in the south. Junk journalism.
OK, let's move away from the article entirely. Do you see any problem with a coach criticizing player compensation when he's making millions? This doesn't apply exclusively to Dabo, he's just getting specifically called on it because he's the most recent one to make public comments on it.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 5:47 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

OK, let's move away from the article entirely. Do you see any problem with a coach criticizing player compensation when he's making millions? This doesn't apply exclusively to Dabo, he's just getting specifically called on it because he's the most recent one to make public comments on it.

I do see some problem, however, I truly believe they are compensated. Housing, health care, tutors, nutritionist, private gyms, and education all cost a lot of money. The players get all of it included with the scholarship. There is big price to that. I also agree with Dabo, I don't think they should be paid. If that is the case, then get rid of college ball. Have the NFL allow high schoolers to enter the draft; model after the MLB and have a farm system. College ball is not needed at that point.

However, I think the NCAA needs to relax the restrictions and allow for players to make money off their name in the form of video game royalties, jersey sales, autographs, etc... I am not in favor of making the players employees of the school and being on payroll.

Not sure if that addresses your question... Do I "see any problem with a coach criticizing player compensation when he's making millions". TLDR version: yes, but....

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 5:55 pm 
Future Drummer

The quotes in that article are very troubling. And Alabama and Clemson were certainly built, at least originally, by racists for racists. So was almost every institution in the South. That's just facts.

I think it's a good article that you're probably taking a little too personally.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 5:57 pm 
Future Drummer

And full disclosure, I'm a Texas fan and we were a racist institution for a long time as well, but luckily things are different now. That doesn't mean we can deny history.

PostPosted: Wed February 01, 2017 6:19 pm 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Not sure if that addresses your question... Do I "see any problem with a coach criticizing player compensation when he's making millions". TLDR version: yes, but....
I just think that coaches have to be really careful in commenting on that kind of stuff. What you said is perfectly fine from the perspective of a fan. If I were in Dabo's position, I just would have said, "That's something for the NCAA and the school presidents to figure out", and then move on to the next question.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4178 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 ... 209  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports