The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106

Who will win the national championship?
Alabama 53%  53%  [ 9 ]
Clemson 35%  35%  [ 6 ]
Ohio State 12%  12%  [ 2 ]
Washington 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 17
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 10:53 pm
Posts: 11876
Location: Illinois
Saying college football is stagnant while brontosaurus QBs like Brett Hundley roam the NFL landscape weekly is pretty funny.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 45135
AL

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15971
verb_to_trust wrote:
Saying college football is stagnant while brontosaurus QBs like Brett Hundley roam the NFL landscape weekly is pretty funny.

My interest is waning in the pro product as well. And before you assume, this was the case prior to Rodgers' boo boo.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 10252
Location: Mizzou
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Fun and interesting few weeks of football, same boring and predictable result. An expanded playoff field really would inject some life into this stagnant sport.


Yeah, it would be much easier to determine the 8th and 9th best team in the country...

Not the point. It's simple math; expansion would allow the possibility of a more diverse group of teams into the college postseason every year simply by having more spots available.


It would be roughly the same dozen or so teams every year in that format too.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15971
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Fun and interesting few weeks of football, same boring and predictable result. An expanded playoff field really would inject some life into this stagnant sport.


Yeah, it would be much easier to determine the 8th and 9th best team in the country...

Not the point. It's simple math; expansion would allow the possibility of a more diverse group of teams into the college postseason every year simply by having more spots available.


It would be roughly the same dozen or so teams every year in that format too.

Okay, let's assume that's actually a valid statement, a playoff system would still increase potential for a more diverse final four or two every year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 11:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 10252
Location: Mizzou
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Fun and interesting few weeks of football, same boring and predictable result. An expanded playoff field really would inject some life into this stagnant sport.


Yeah, it would be much easier to determine the 8th and 9th best team in the country...

Not the point. It's simple math; expansion would allow the possibility of a more diverse group of teams into the college postseason every year simply by having more spots available.


It would be roughly the same dozen or so teams every year in that format too.

Okay, let's assume that's actually a valid statement, a playoff system would still increase potential for a more diverse final four or two every year.


Maybe, it could also lead to a lot of the same teams blowing out the lower seeds. There's never going to be a perfect system with 110+ FBS teams to determine a champ without playing an extended playoff that would cheapen the regular season. Let's give this format a few more years to see what new teams come into the fold. In four years there have been 8 different teams in this thing.

Just look at the past 20 years of college ball. I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 11:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5343
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.
CFB is one of the least cyclical North American sports, though. Teams like Bama, USC, Michigan, tOSU, ND, Texas, OU, etc. will always be good in the long run even if they have road bumps in the short run.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 10252
Location: Mizzou
Green Habit wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.
CFB is one of the least cyclical North American sports, though. Teams like Bama, USC, Michigan, tOSU, ND, Texas, OU, etc. will always be good in the long run even if they have road bumps in the short run.


Of course. Those teams in down periods will eventually cycle in along with a random team or two.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 12:37 am 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2468
College Football is about Recruiting, Money and Coaching at the FBS level. It’s mostly about money generation and who gets the money.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 12:42 am 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5343
Food for thought: if we were still in the BCS era everyone would be having vicious arguments right now regarding Oklahoma ranked over Georgia. UGA clearly had the much better loss between the two. Instead it's a big nothingburger.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 1:18 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 10252
Location: Mizzou
Electromatic wrote:
College Football is about Recruiting, Money and Coaching at the FBS level. It’s mostly about money generation and who gets the money.


Yup. And it is not a sport where a generational star can lead a mid tier team to a championship.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 15971
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Fun and interesting few weeks of football, same boring and predictable result. An expanded playoff field really would inject some life into this stagnant sport.


Yeah, it would be much easier to determine the 8th and 9th best team in the country...

Not the point. It's simple math; expansion would allow the possibility of a more diverse group of teams into the college postseason every year simply by having more spots available.


It would be roughly the same dozen or so teams every year in that format too.

Okay, let's assume that's actually a valid statement, a playoff system would still increase potential for a more diverse final four or two every year.


Maybe, it could also lead to a lot of the same teams blowing out the lower seeds. There's never going to be a perfect system with 110+ FBS teams to determine a champ without playing an extended playoff that would cheapen the regular season. Let's give this format a few more years to see what new teams come into the fold. In four years there have been 8 different teams in this thing.

Just look at the past 20 years of college ball. I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.

Sounds good.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 2:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 10252
Location: Mizzou
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Fun and interesting few weeks of football, same boring and predictable result. An expanded playoff field really would inject some life into this stagnant sport.


Yeah, it would be much easier to determine the 8th and 9th best team in the country...

Not the point. It's simple math; expansion would allow the possibility of a more diverse group of teams into the college postseason every year simply by having more spots available.


It would be roughly the same dozen or so teams every year in that format too.

Okay, let's assume that's actually a valid statement, a playoff system would still increase potential for a more diverse final four or two every year.


Maybe, it could also lead to a lot of the same teams blowing out the lower seeds. There's never going to be a perfect system with 110+ FBS teams to determine a champ without playing an extended playoff that would cheapen the regular season. Let's give this format a few more years to see what new teams come into the fold. In four years there have been 8 different teams in this thing.

Just look at the past 20 years of college ball. I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.

Sounds good.


:thumbsup:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 4533
I'm just glad I can still vote for UW in this poll. Go Dawgs!

_________________
Red Mosquito: Come for the Pearl Jam discussion, stay for the rampant homosexual innuendo.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:05 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 5308
I'm looking forward to Clemson vs. Alabama 3. I know it's maybe not as exciting for people who aren't fans of either team, or casual fans in general, but I think it's a great matchup. This is pretty much the only time they get to play each other. Playing Bama is a pretty good indicator of where your team is; it's gonna be great.

Fun fact, last time Dabo was in the Sugar Bowl, he was as a player at Alabama. Hopefully this time he'll win as a coach.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 38898
darth_vedder wrote:
I'm looking forward to Clemson vs. Alabama 3. I know it's maybe not as exciting for people who aren't fans of either team, or casual fans in general, but I think it's a great matchup. This is pretty much the only time they get to play each other. Playing Bama is a pretty good indicator of where your team is; it's gonna be great.

Fun fact, last time Dabo was in the Sugar Bowl, he was as a player at Alabama. Hopefully this time he'll win as a coach.

he will

_________________
Dev wrote:
just cuz im clinically depressed doesn't mean im not a total gangster.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:36 pm
Posts: 10252
Location: Mizzou
I'm excited to see both semifinal games. Good matchups. Glad they are on New Year's day this year.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 8:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:52 pm
Posts: 5308
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
I'm looking forward to Clemson vs. Alabama 3. I know it's maybe not as exciting for people who aren't fans of either team, or casual fans in general, but I think it's a great matchup. This is pretty much the only time they get to play each other. Playing Bama is a pretty good indicator of where your team is; it's gonna be great.

Fun fact, last time Dabo was in the Sugar Bowl, he was as a player at Alabama. Hopefully this time he'll win as a coach.

he will


Let's hope so.:) It's been an interesting new rivalry between two schools with a lot of ties but not much on the field playing.

To me, Bama looks very similar to last year (not a knock, they made it the the championship), but Clemson is different. They still do a lot of the same stuff, but they have more of a 4 headed running system. I'm hoping Etienne can bust one or two loose. He's just a freshman with loads of potential.



Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 102, 103, 104, 105, 106

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TBAMTS and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Fri December 15, 2017 6:27 am