The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 209  Next

Who will win the national championship?
Clemson 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
LSU 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 2:55 am 
Banned from the Pit

TBAMTS wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
He's the best player in the history of Texas A&M

Umm, Leeland McElroy and Dat Nguyen?????

You could argue Dat, but not Leeland.

PostPosted: Mon September 02, 2013 1:02 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
Darth is popping bottles!

Dabo and co out coached the shit out of Georgia.

Yep, definitely celebrated. Great win for Clemson, and great back to back wins vs. SEC powerhouses. Hopefully the guys stay focused and run the table this year.

Not sure if I agree that the Clemson staff out coached the UGA staff though. I mean, if it were a blowout, I'd agree, but with a 3 point game, you can't get much closer than that. Games like that typically come down to just a few plays...had UGA not botched a FG attempt, then the game is tied up. If the difference was really just a few plays, and the outcome easily could have gone the other way, is that really being out coached?

At any rate, I hope the Dawgs re-group and take out the lamecocks on Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 12:51 am 
Site Admin

darth_vedder wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

Yep, definitely celebrated. Great win for Clemson, and great back to back wins vs. SEC powerhouses. Hopefully the guys stay focused and run the table this year.

Not sure if I agree that the Clemson staff out coached the UGA staff though. I mean, if it were a blowout, I'd agree, but with a 3 point game, you can't get much closer than that. Games like that typically come down to just a few plays...had UGA not botched a FG attempt, then the game is tied up. If the difference was really just a few plays, and the outcome easily could have gone the other way, is that really being out coached?

Even if you weren't a Clemson fan, that was a pretty fucking awesome game.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 3:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

It was a hell of a game, but I thought Clemson adjusted to what Georgia was doing often, and Georgia did not exploit Clemson's weaknesses until it was too late (I know they scored 35) but it was pretty obvious the weak point of that defense is in the back and they tried to force inside runs all game long. The Clemson defense played exceptionally well I thought, statistically not so much, but they got it done, and Clemson was able to exploit Georgia's young defense in every way. They found Connor Norman over and over and over again. Boyd was tremendous.

Murray.....is still Aaron Murray, and Mike Bobo was still calling running plays with 2 minutes left. That fact, and the punt with 6 minutes left, pretty much iced it. That and the bad snap.

People expected Georgia's OL to be a strength finally this year. Clemson owned them. How the hell does Dabo find DE's with such long arms? They have guys year in and year out with their hands at almost knee level.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:11 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Electromatic wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

It was a hell of a game, but I thought Clemson adjusted to what Georgia was doing often, and Georgia did not exploit Clemson's weaknesses until it was too late (I know they scored 35) but it was pretty obvious the weak point of that defense is in the back and they tried to force inside runs all game long. The Clemson defense played exceptionally well I thought, statistically not so much, but they got it done, and Clemson was able to exploit Georgia's young defense in every way. They found Connor Norman over and over and over again. Boyd was tremendous.

Murray.....is still Aaron Murray, and Mike Bobo was still calling running plays with 2 minutes left. That fact, and the punt with 6 minutes left, pretty much iced it. That and the bad snap.

People expected Georgia's OL to be a strength finally this year. Clemson owned them. How the hell does Dabo find DE's with such long arms? They have guys year in and year out with their hands at almost knee level.

That's a good point, re: Adjustments.

After the first quarter, I was very worried about Clemson's D. Somewhere in the 2nd quarter through 1/2 the 4th quarter, they brought it. UGA scored 3 times on their first 4 possessions. After that, they didn't score again till the 4th. Clemson really rattled them.

Roderick McDowell really impressed me too. He has something like 120yrs on 20 carries. I think he had close to or more than 6 yards per carry.

Sammy Watkins speed is insane. That catch he made was impressive but his speed was even more so. He beat guys with angles on him. This guy is gonna have a big year.

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 7:12 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

For those that missed the Sammy catch...

PostPosted: Tue September 03, 2013 8:00 pm 
Site Admin

Oh, and that game reminded me why Clemson belongs in the SEC more than any other team outside it--and even a few inside it!

PostPosted: Fri September 06, 2013 2:57 pm 
AnalLog

Can't wait for FSU vs Clemson. Last year was a great game and this year, with Winston, I'm feeling just as confident. That kid, Winston, is special.

PostPosted: Fri September 06, 2013 2:58 pm 
AnalLog

Green Habit wrote:
Oh, and that game reminded me why Clemson belongs in the SEC more than any other team outside it--and even a few inside it!

Hahaha yeah and not one of the teams that beat them last year eh? Good call.

PostPosted: Fri September 06, 2013 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

jwfocker wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Clemson just has that SEC feel to them regardless of their actual performance. But if it makes you feel better, FSU is the clear close #2 in my mind.

PostPosted: Fri September 06, 2013 5:01 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

FSU and Clemson would both be logical extensions of the SEC. Won't happen though. The SEC would be more likely to poach NC State and VA Tech so they can tap into the North Carolina and Virginia markets.

I know we have another thread for this, but I really wish these conferences would all blow up and in their place have sensible, regional conferences. Imagine one like this, it would just make too much sense...

Florida
Miami
Fl. St.
UGA
GA Tech
SCAR
Clemson
NC State
UNC
UVA
VA Tech
West VA/or Maryland / or Tennessee

It would basically be a southern ACC.

PostPosted: Fri September 06, 2013 5:27 pm 
Site Admin

You know the area better than I do, but it just seems like there's a distinct divide in college sports culture between the border of the Carolinas. Virginia Tech might be the only exception.

PostPosted: Fri September 06, 2013 5:42 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:
You know the area better than I do, but it just seems like there's a distinct divide in college sports culture between the border of the Carolinas. Virginia Tech might be the only exception.

There is, but NC State and WVA would bring a good college environment. Do a 14 team team and add Tenn. and UMD too and bamo whamo, that there is a great conference with great football teams, some solid basketball teams, and some great baseball teams.

So UVA, UNC and Maryland wouldn't be much in football, but they would have good basket and baseball programs.

None of that will happen though so really the ACC just needs to get better. It's good to have Clemson and FSU back on top of the conference, but Miami needs to be revived, NC State needs to be a perennial top 30 team, and VA Tech needs to get back in form too. Having those 5 teams constantly in the top 25 would really help the conference out.

PostPosted: Fri September 06, 2013 6:28 pm 
AnalLog

Green Habit wrote:
jwfocker wrote:
Green Habit wrote:
Clemson just has that SEC feel to them regardless of their actual performance. But if it makes you feel better, FSU is the clear close #2 in my mind.

Hahaha yeah I don't care. It's just funny to me, you know, people's opinions and such, and when opinions start getting a little wild I feel the need to say something.

Oh my god Clemson sold out a home game between two top 10 teams that was on at prime-time on a Saturday night! Only SEC teams do that so Clemson must be SEC quality too!

As for what teams could go to the SEC - there is no way Clemson or FSU would make it in because UF won't allow FSU and Soutch Carolina won't allow Clemson. As a result I agree it would have to be team in a market that SEC don't currently have a team residing in.

I'm so pumped that Clemson and FSU are both rising, this will make the season so much better. Miami, I just don't see them turning things around anytime soon. They don't have the funding, infrastructure, or fan commitment to make a push anytime soon. The U could be in for a long wait.

PostPosted: Sat September 07, 2013 10:55 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

Here's to hoping Notre Dame gets pounded tonight!

PostPosted: Sun September 08, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Admin

Well done, Mike.

PostPosted: Sun September 08, 2013 12:16 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Burt Stanfield wrote:

I'm drinking to this.

PostPosted: Sun September 08, 2013 12:30 am 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Burt Stanfield wrote:
I'm drinking to this.
I talked to a couple BSU fans today who also root for Notre Dame. I told them that I wouldn't have a problem with ND if they just fully joined the ACC and stop thinking that they're special. The response was, "Well, they are special."

:facepalm:

PostPosted: Sun September 08, 2013 12:35 am 
Site Admin

Nice tackling, ND. We need a GIF of that pronto.

PostPosted: Sun September 08, 2013 12:36 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Burt Stanfield wrote:
I'm drinking to this.
I talked to a couple BSU fans today who also root for Notre Dame. I told them that I wouldn't have a problem with ND if they just fully joined the ACC and stop thinking that they're special. The response was, "Well, they are special."

:facepalm:

After watching the tackling there, they certainly are "special."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 209  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports