Switch to full style
Discuss your hatred for the Yankees here.
Post a reply

Free Soloing

Wed January 23, 2019 5:58 pm

Any good free solo climbers on this board? I'm OK.

Re: Free Soloing

Wed January 23, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm scared of heights, but I enjoy bouldering 3 or 4 times a year.

There's a city rec center near me that has a nice climbing/bouldering area.

There's usually a few lateral routes set up.

Wed January 23, 2019 7:09 pm

I thought this thread was going to be about masturbation.

Wed January 23, 2019 7:22 pm

I live my life like a free soloist. Makes rock climbing seem tame.

Thu January 24, 2019 3:18 pm

Thu January 24, 2019 3:23 pm

Thu January 24, 2019 4:17 pm

Thu January 24, 2019 4:32 pm

Thu January 24, 2019 7:41 pm

Fri January 25, 2019 3:55 am

tree_ wrote:Any good free solo climbers on this board? I'm OK.

That's pretty cool. Serious balls to do it.

Fri January 25, 2019 3:57 am

Tree you dont climb without ropes. Dont lie. You may boulder but you dont climb without ropes. Be honest.

Fri January 25, 2019 4:10 am

I'm glad I watched these videos. Wow.

Fri January 25, 2019 4:20 am

Strat wrote:Tree you dont climb without ropes. Dont lie. You may boulder but you dont climb without ropes. Be honest.
gotta get your rocks off in life bro

Fri January 25, 2019 4:20 am

Let's have a moment on page one for these climbers. I imagine you'd have to have a Tibetan understanding of life and death to even consider this.

Notable accidents

Paul Preuss (3 October 1913) died during an attempt to make the first ascent of the North Ridge of the Mandlkogel (in the Gosaukamm range) free solo, in a fall of more than 300m.

Jimmy Jewell fell to his death (31 October 1987) from Poor Man's Peuterey (Severe) at Tremadog, North Wales. He was using the route as a shortcut from a local pub to his climbing club hut and it was well below his usual grade and capability.

Derek Hersey died (28 May 1993) in an accident while soloing the Steck-Salathé Route free solo, on Sentinel Rock in Yosemite National Park.

Dwight Bishop fell (19 July 2004; age 49) while climbing alone and unroped along the Grand Traverse route on Grand Teton peak in Wyoming.

Jimmy Ray Forester fell (24 November 2006; age 43) while free-soloing in El Potrero Chico, Mexico. Forester, an experienced, talented climber, failed to return to camp after setting out on The Scariest Ride in the Park, a 40-pitch 5.9 ridge route known for loose rock. He was found the next day at the base of the wall. [11]

George Gardner fell to his death (25 July 2008; age 58) while free soloing in Grand Teton National Park. [12]

John Bachar died (5 July 2009) in a free solo accident at Dike Wall near Mammoth Lakes, California.

Akihira Tawara died (13 September 2011) while free solo climbing the Directissima 5.8 route on Yamnuska.

Michael Ybarra died (July 2012) climbing solo on The Matterhorn Peak in California's Sierra Nevada Mountains. [13]

Brad Parker fell (August 2014) about 300 feet to his death while attempting to climb Matthes Crest Traverse in Yosemite, CA. [14]

Andrew Barnes died (12 June 2015; age 46) falling 50 ft (15 m) free solo climbing in New York's Shawangunk Mountains. [15]

Angus Moloney died (27 September 2015; age 22) falling 100 ft free-solo climbing from the Fifth Pinnacle above the Gregory Canyon Trail, Boulder's Open Space and Mountain Parks.[16]

Ueli Steck, a world-renowned Swiss mountaineer and free solo climber, died after falling an estimated 1000m while trying to scale the Nuptse Wall on 30 April 2017.

Fri January 25, 2019 4:25 am

Lenny would free solo

Fri January 25, 2019 4:27 am

Fri January 25, 2019 5:01 am

I wonder what happens to the human body on impact after falling 100s of meters.

Fri January 25, 2019 5:06 am

tree_ wrote:
Strat wrote:Tree you dont climb without ropes. Dont lie. You may boulder but you dont climb without ropes. Be honest.
gotta get your rocks off in life bro

That's an answer I respect. I've done batshit stupid stuff skiing and mtn biking, "gotta get your rocks off" indeed.

Fri January 25, 2019 5:11 am

Kaius wrote:I wonder what happens to the human body on impact after falling 100s of meters.

Watching those videos, I’m surprised that these climbers only fell 100s of meters to their deaths. I wonder if the statistics just consider point of first impact when measuring the distance of the fall.

Fri January 25, 2019 6:01 am

washing machine wrote:
Kaius wrote:I wonder what happens to the human body on impact after falling 100s of meters.

Watching those videos, I’m surprised that these climbers only fell 100s of meters to their deaths. I wonder if the statistics just consider point of first impact when measuring the distance of the fall.

I talked to a firefighter the other day—he was a first responder on scene of a guy that had fell 7 stories onto pavement. He was short on details but the word jello was used.
Post a reply