The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: The ***OFFICIAL*** You're FIRED! Thread
PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 5:01 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Oh, but remember, he wasn't fired . . . ESPN just elected not to renew his contract after suspending him for the final one month of said contract.

that dude was an idiot anyway

If by "idiot" you mean racist, no-talent-assclown, blowhard, then you are correct sir.

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 6:11 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other
 WWW  Profile

Location: North of Sunny Golf, East of Neon Cash, South of Potato Lotto, West of Cowboy Booze/Fireworks

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 6:20 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Chris_H_2 wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
Oh, but remember, he wasn't fired . . . ESPN just elected not to renew his contract after suspending him for the final one month of said contract.

that dude was an idiot anyway

If by "idiot" you mean racist, no-talent-assclown, blowhard, then you are correct sir.

yep, pretty much what i meant, and i just hated listening to him talk, lit was like he had no preparation for when he was gonna be on and just tried to come up with his responses or arguments on the fly

PostPosted: Wed January 09, 2013 8:02 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:

How did I ever convince anyone to give me a job at ESPN?

PostPosted: Thu January 10, 2013 9:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I figured it was only a matter of time, mularkey got fired

PostPosted: Fri January 11, 2013 3:11 am 
Mind Your Tanners

i feel bad for blaine gabbert. there needs to be a support group for QBs that have to work with different coordinators every year or two and then dumped b/c they don't figure shit out.

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 3:05 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri January 25, 2013 3:09 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Green Habit wrote:

Its true they had one of the worst defenses of all time, but their whole team was such a mess that i don't think any coach could have been successful this season. Im not in love with Tampa's DC and would actually like to see Spags come to the Bucs

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2013 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2013 2:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

Green Habit wrote:

Bobby Knight wants his 1981 schtick back.

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2013 2:32 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:

:shock:

PostPosted: Wed April 03, 2013 3:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

How the AD still has a job is beyond me.

PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2013 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

Chris_H_2 wrote:
How the AD still has a job is beyond me.
Adam Schefter just tweeted that he's been fired.

PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2013 2:49 pm 
Rank This Poster

How the hell does Mark Emmert still have his job?

PostPosted: Fri April 05, 2013 3:04 pm 
Site Admin

Electromatic wrote:
How the hell does Mark Emmert still have his job?
:idea:

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2013 1:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Mississippi senior guard Marshall Henderson, whose basketball skill has helped offset his on-court antics and a lengthy pattern of checkered off-court behavior, has been suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules.

“Since the season ended, we have talked a lot about Marshall taking a greater leadership role with our team. With that comes greater responsibility, and he must do a better job of living up to the high standard we expect from him and he desires from himself,” Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy said in a statement.

These kinds of summer “indefinite” suspensions usually amount to very little. The kid gets back in line, maybe he misses a handful of walkover nonconference games. The coach’s point gets made and the team moves on. That might not be the case with Henderson, though.

A Utah (and juco) transfer who led the SEC in scoring last season while the Rebels made it to the NCAA tournament’s round of 32, Henderson faced forgery charges in 2009 stemming from his attempt to purchase marijuana with counterfeit money, receiving two years of probation. He was then arrested in 2011 for marijuana possession and spent some time in jail in 2012 for the probation violation. Per the Deseret News, court documents show that Henderson also failed tests for alcohol, marijuana and cocaine while on probation.

You may be sensing a pattern here: Henderson has had well-documented issues with drugs.

So when CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish, who lives in Mississippi, tweets that Henderson’s suspension also stems from a failed drug test, and ESPN’s Jeff Goodman then reports it’s actually multiple failed tests, you sit up and take notice.

It’s the follow-up reporting, though, that makes things a more interesting, and potentially a lot more complicated. Parrish tweeted that Henderson’s future at the program is very much in the air and Goodman’s sources told him that Henderson “could come back to the team if he meets certain conditions.”

This is where I remind you (again) that Henderson has a lengthy record with drugs that extends well before Kennedy and Mississippi took him on. This is also where I remind you that Kennedy – who hadn’t made the NCAA tournament in his first six seasons before Henderson carried his team there last season, and was on the brink of losing his job - was subsequently given a contract extension through 2017 after the Rebels made the NCAA round of 32. It’s also where you should recall March photos like these, where Henderson was, ummm … less than sober. And that the school backed Kennedy after he was alleged to have assaulted and dropped ethnic slurs on a cab driver that led to his pleading guilty to disorderly conduct in 2009.

So, yes, Henderson needs to take responsibility for his latest indiscretions, and Parrish is reporting that a stint in a rehab center is possible. All that said, if Kennedy ends up booting him from the program now, based on what’s currently being reported — and I have asked around to numerous folks who don’t have anything deeper than this in the way of Henderson’s alleged issues — I have a pretty sizable problem with it.

As I have written before in this space, addiction is not a funny thing. I don’t know Henderson personally, but it seems pretty clear at this point that he has substance abuse issues, issues that were very much known by Kennedy and his staff when they took a chance on him. Even if Henderson was on a no-tolerance plan at Mississippi (and stories and photos from last season seem to dispute that, or at least the enforcement of it, as do claims now of multiple failed drug tests), that calculation should change after he was primarily responsible for saving your job and earning you many extra millions in guaranteed money. You can’t minimize the impact of Henderson’s indiscretions when it benefits you and then bounce him when you have security. Henderson also was nine credit hours shy of his degree as of the beginning of this summer.

Maybe more information will come out that will change the calculus and my opinion can change, but as we stand, if Henderson gets tossed, Kennedy comes off like an opportunistic user. That wouldn’t make him the only one in the coaching profession, but he’d be the one with a fresh new contract for at least $1.8 million a year thanks to a flawed player/person he may now discard because of a relapse. That assumes, of course, Henderson’s issues with drugs ever actually changed at all. Kennedy was fine with a troubled Henderson when he took him. Now, more than ever, is not the time to give up on him.

UPDATE: Henderson responded to his indefinite suspension on the Instagram account of Rebels linebacker Denzel Nkemdiche saying he was “sad,” but the video has since been removed.

PostPosted: Thu July 11, 2013 3:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

Marshall Henderson had a drug problem....who knew?

PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 12:44 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2013 7:22 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Surprised no one had poted anything yet.

PostPosted: Sat August 17, 2013 2:30 pm 
Rank This Poster

:peace: Uncle Charlie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 30  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports