The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post subject: Re: Toronto Blue Jays Thread
PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2013 4:31 am 
Rank This Poster

diesel wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but one and a half seasons into not completely sucking has made Orioles' fans more insufferable than Red Sox fans.

what makes you say that?

after seeing obnoxious red sox fans pour of out of the red sox 'nation' from places like delaware, norther virginia, pennsylvania, and even maryland since '04 in camden yards, i hope you have a case to make.

It's a little unfair because I was reading a popular Orioles message board someone sent me a link to, and I think it's safe to say it's the lowest common denominator posting there. There were also a couple of Orioles blogs/articles I read. There are a lot of funny things discussed there, but in generally there's a complete unwillingness to admit that maybe the Jays are a pretty good team. Every single thing that happened over the course of the series, from questionable calls to ground rule doubles to good defensive plays to homeruns, can be attributed either to luck or the umpire's bias.

Maybe I shouldn't blame that on Orioles fans. I should probably blame it on me clicking on a link and getting sucked in to the comedy that is a struggling team's message board. I'll admit that my comparison to Red Sox fans is probably a little unfair. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2013 12:12 pm 
A Return To Form

fair enough. can you send me the links to these sites?

there definitely are some fans in this city that are complete morons. i listen to some sports talk radio during my commute and after any bad series or even a single game people are overreacting and over critical and blaming buck or a particularly good player. there's a generally fatalist attitude amongst some of the downtrodden working class that i assume is also shared in some of the other blue collar cities. have said that, i would generally like to think that, at least in person, the baltimore fans are down to earth and appropriate hosts at camden yards, except towards yankees and sox fans. the yankees hatred, aside from being division rivals for so long, goes back to the '96 ALC series. the sox dislike comes from my point earlier about all the frontrunners and posers.

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2013 2:18 pm 
Rank This Poster

diesel wrote:
fair enough. can you send me the links to these sites?

there definitely are some fans in this city that are complete morons. i listen to some sports talk radio during my commute and after any bad series or even a single game people are overreacting and over critical and blaming buck or a particularly good player. there's a generally fatalist attitude amongst some of the downtrodden working class that i assume is also shared in some of the other blue collar cities. have said that, i would generally like to think that, at least in person, the baltimore fans are down to earth and appropriate hosts at camden yards, except towards yankees and sox fans. the yankees hatred, aside from being division rivals for so long, goes back to the '96 ALC series. the sox dislike comes from my point earlier about all the frontrunners and posers.

The overreaction thing seems completely normal to me, actually. You have no idea how insufferable most Jays fans were when the team started off 10-21 after an off-season of high expectations. What I saw was a complete dismissing of the obvious talent on the Jays roster. Any time anything bad happened to the Orioles, it wasn't because the Jays are a good team or someone on the Orioles isn't that good, it was because the umpires are obviously Jays fans and the Jays are just getting lucky right now.

During Wang's start, for example, he snared about 3-4 comebackers to the mound to record outs, including a double play. Then during Garcia's start, the Jays hit one up the middle and Garcia's glove fell off as he tried to catch it. That was all luck. It had nothing to do with the fact that the Jays have very good defensive pitchers on their team. It was luck, plain and simple. Basically, anything that resulted in a hit for the Jays or an out for the O's was luck. Except for Bautista's homerun. The was the umpires wanting the Jays to win.

The best part of all, though, is how indignant they are over Jays fans chanting "O'Day" when Bautista comes to the plate, as if they really think people care enough about their reliever to chant his name. :lol:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/
http://www.orioleshangout.com/article/4267/swept-away

PostPosted: Mon June 24, 2013 5:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 11:19 am 
RM Elitist

Farmer John wrote:

It bothers me so much that he never makes it to second.

PostPosted: Sat August 31, 2013 6:30 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

me & 35 other ppl like ryan goins on facebook

PostPosted: Sun September 01, 2013 12:09 am 
Rank This Poster

klehtun wrote:
me & 35 other ppl like ryan goins on facebook

It's impossible to not like what he's done in his first few games. He obviously won't continue to hit the way he has, but even if he can provide a tiny bit of offense while playing well defensively he would provide a huge upgrade over what they've had from the position this year.

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 10:46 am 
A Return To Form
 WWW  Profile

for fuck sakes plz beat the rays

Stroman for mayor

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 1:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

I'm trying to convince someone to go for a day trip to Toronto with me for Sunday's game. No luck yet.

It's amazing how much fun the last couple weeks have been. Can you imagine what it would be like if they were actually holding down a playoff spot right now?

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 11:47 pm 
Rank This Poster

I miss Dan Johnson :(

PostPosted: Fri September 12, 2014 11:48 pm 
RM Elitist

@SkitchP wrote:
Farmer John wrote:

It bothers me so much that he never makes it to second.

still

PostPosted: Sat September 13, 2014 6:17 am 
Rank This Poster

BigRedLedbetter wrote:

He's on the team to clinch the playoffs on the last day of the season. Just a couple weeks to go!

PostPosted: Sat September 13, 2014 2:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

philpritchard wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:

He's on the team to clinch the playoffs on the last day of the season. Just a couple weeks to go!

He'd actually be a good guy to have on your roster down the stretch.

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports