Switch to full style
Discuss your hatred for the Yankees here.
Post a reply

Re: Boston Red Sox Thread

Mon September 14, 2020 12:25 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:nobody gonna dictate our freedom

The Tine is now

Wed September 16, 2020 11:12 pm

cutuphalfdead wrote:ok it moved a little

Duran also gets me to half-mast:

Wed September 16, 2020 11:42 pm

Am I wrong in thinking that the Red Sox throughout the last 20 years regardless of who the GM was, have done a terrible job of evaluating their own players in their minor league system?

Thu September 17, 2020 12:01 am

numbers wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that the Red Sox throughout the last 20 years regardless of who the GM was, have done a terrible job of evaluating their own players in their minor league system?

I would disagree with this. I think it's more of an issue of identifying and drafting/signing amateur talent at certain positions, the most notable being pitchers, which, yeah--that's going to be a problem. If you take a look at the four World Series squads, there is a dearth of pitching that the team has developed from the ground-up. Off the top of my head...Lester and Buchholz (lol, I know) are the only starters that were really 100% Sox prospects that got built into quality major league pitchers. In the pen, I wouldn't put anyone near Papelbon (Hembree and Barnes both pitched big innings for the team at times, but they only held onto one of them, which tells you something). You could build a solid lineup with just Sox prospects dating back to 2000 (or maybe even just back to 2010), but the pitching would be incredibly thin.

Thu September 17, 2020 12:09 am

Simple Torture wrote:
numbers wrote:Am I wrong in thinking that the Red Sox throughout the last 20 years regardless of who the GM was, have done a terrible job of evaluating their own players in their minor league system?

I would disagree with this. I think it's more of an issue of identifying and drafting/signing amateur talent at certain positions, the most notable being pitchers, which, yeah--that's going to be a problem. If you take a look at the four World Series squads, there is a dearth of pitching that the team has developed from the ground-up. Off the top of my head...Lester and Buchholz (lol, I know) are the only starters that were really 100% Sox prospects that got built into quality major league pitchers. In the pen, I wouldn't put anyone near Papelbon (Hembree and Barnes both pitched big innings for the team at times, but they only held onto one of them, which tells you something). You could build a solid lineup with just Sox prospects dating back to 2000 (or maybe even just back to 2010), but the pitching would be incredibly thin.

I also would toss this question out there: are there any prospects the Sox have traded away or dumped that you would want back? Rizzo and Moncada are the two that jump to mind for me, but the returns were so great (or considered great at the time) that you've gotta make that move sometimes.

Thu September 17, 2020 1:42 pm

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:

I also would toss this question out there: are there any prospects the Sox have traded away or dumped that you would want back? Rizzo and Moncada are the two that jump to mind for me, but the returns were so great (or considered great at the time) that you've gotta make that move sometimes.

Rizzo would be nice, but i was more focusing on how the minor leaguers that end up being legit major league talent are often not the prospects they were high on and vice versa. We didn’t ever hear Mookie’s name until about 2 months before he was in the majors, and this was at the same time they were pushing Lars Anderson as an elite power bat.

Thu September 17, 2020 9:49 pm

I'm sure every team hypes and pours resources into prospects that don't work out, but I don't know if the Sox do it at a higher rate than other teams. I'd be interested in crunching the numbers when it comes to high-round draft picks who become MLB regulars or something like that.

Mookie I think is actually probably the best example from the past 20 years of the farm system doing an excellent job in identifying and nurturing in-house talent and capitalizing on it right away. The dude was a 5th-round pick and had fewer than 100 AA+AAA games under his belt before they called him up and he was an instant All Star.

Tue September 29, 2020 12:57 am

Re-sign Cora LFG

Fri October 30, 2020 8:37 pm

lol YouTube TV just lost NESN

Tue November 03, 2020 12:43 am

yeah wtf

Tue November 03, 2020 1:13 am

NESN actually responded to one of my anti-NESN tweets, and they were basically like, "Sign up for cable."

Tue November 03, 2020 1:13 am

Simple Torture wrote:NESN actually responded to one of my anti-NESN tweets, and they were basically like, "Sign up for cable."

I mean, I'm not going to reply, "I'm just going to use my parents' login next year," but come on, man.

Tue November 03, 2020 3:03 am

I don't know who to be mad at, nesn or google.

Tue November 03, 2020 3:05 am

Norris wrote:I don't know who to be mad at, nesn or google.

Fri November 06, 2020 3:50 pm

Hmm...

Fri November 06, 2020 4:18 pm

Time to do crime again!

Fri November 06, 2020 11:08 pm

I don't give a fuck I am pro Alex Cora.

Sat January 23, 2021 5:53 pm

Woohoo! Bloom rolled out the brinks for Hernandez!

Championship!

Mon February 01, 2021 4:58 pm

pedroia retiring

Mon February 01, 2021 5:02 pm

spike wrote:pedroia retiring

:peace:

Post a reply