The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
Well I'm glad to hear the only reason Boston is so good this year is because they're a bunch of cheaters! :lol:
coming from a bautista fan, i'll laugh with you.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Nearly every pitcher on every pitch touches the inside bill of his cap. No one every says anything about it. Watch for it.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:35 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
Well I'm glad to hear the only reason Boston is so good this year is because they're a bunch of cheaters! :lol:

How's that Melky Cabrera deal working out?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:00 pm 
Rank This Poster

elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

There's a whole lot more evidence to support Buchholz being a cheater than there was about either Bautista using steroids or the Man In White stuff.

Also, I thought it was pretty clear that I was joking. Boston is playing really well, and this has been the worst month of baseball I have ever watched the Jays play. I don't think Buchholz is cheating any more than any other pitcher in the game.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:03 pm 
Rank This Poster

MattA75 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

Not well. He's still got roughly 11 months to make up for a rough few weeks.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:04 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

Not well. He's still got roughly 11 months to make up for a rough few weeks.

Good luck with that :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:15 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

There's a whole lot more evidence to support Buchholz being a cheater than there was about either Bautista using steroids or the Man In White stuff.

Also, I thought it was pretty clear that I was joking. Boston is playing really well, and this has been the worst month of baseball I have ever watched the Jays play. I don't think Buchholz is cheating any more than any other pitcher in the game.
as i said, we're laughing together.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

Oh, right. I misunderstood. Haha. Ha.

I hate baseball right now.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:22 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
philpritchard wrote:

Oh, right. I misunderstood. Haha. Ha.

I hate baseball right now.
maybe hockey will work out better for your town. :peace:

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The Eck pretty much said it all last night, Jack Morris should shut the fuck up.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
The Eck pretty much said it all last night, Jack Morris should shut the fuck up.

I don't get why what Morris said was so horrible. What I've read out of Boston sounds like they think Morris is making excuses for the Jays and being a sore loser. Really, someone showed him a video and he said it looks like he's doctoring the ball. He actually specifically said that everyone does it, he was just surprised Buchholz was being so blatant about it.

I'm sure it doesn't appear this way to Boston fans because he's defending their players, but Eckersley comes off as a complete tool when he says that Morris should shut up because he can't even get into the Hall of Fame. I wonder what he thinks of Dirk Hayhurst's opinion... I mean, that guy barely made the majors, he must have no clue what he's talking about!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Eck actually said in the pre-game show that no one should even listen to Hayhurst as he is a "career minor leaguer." Morris didnt just say that Buchholz might be doctoring the ball though, he said he "absolutely" was, as if it were proven fact. The problem alot of people around here have with it is, they are just saying this with absolutely no proof or even evidence. This could end up being something that Buchholz has to answer for when there isnt any truth to it, just because Toronto's announcers have some bug up their ass. Like Eck and Remy said, if he was throwing a spitter, it would have been obvious and the Blue Jays' players would at some point have said something to the umpire.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
Eck actually said in the pre-game show that no one should even listen to Hayhurst as he is a "career minor leaguer." Morris didnt just say that Buchholz might be doctoring the ball though, he said he "absolutely" was, as if it were proven fact. The problem alot of people around here have with it is, they are just saying this with absolutely no proof or even evidence. This could end up being something that Buchholz has to answer for when there isnt any truth to it, just because Toronto's announcers have some bug up their ass. Like Eck and Remy said, if he was throwing a spitter, it would have been obvious and the Blue Jays' players would at some point have said something to the umpire.

That's not true, though. It's pretty common knowledge around the league that teams won't accuse other teams of doctoring because then their own pitchers will end up getting caught. Everyone just lets it go because everyone else is doing it.

I'll give you that Morris's use of "absolutely" is too strong. Given the evidence (if you haven't read the take on ESPN, you should), I don't blame Morris for bringing it up as something suspicious, but he probably shouldn't be going that far.

Eckersley just comes off as a douche. That's it. So because Hayhurst spent most of his career in the minors, he can't have an opinion? I mean, forget the fact that he just published a book in which he admits it was his job to carry around a bag full of various substances and ball-doctoring devices in the bullpen and know what mixtures all of the other pitchers like to use... how would he know anything about spitballs?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I've seen other teams managers ask to have the ball checked numerous times watching baseball for 20 years. I specifically remember Torre doing it once but I cant remember who the pitchers was.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Also, like Remy said, you know a spitball when you see it and Buchholz fastball doesnt move like a spitball.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:57 pm 
Rank This Poster

numbers wrote:
I've seen other teams managers ask to have the ball checked numerous times watching baseball for 20 years. I specifically remember Torre doing it once but I cant remember who the pitchers was.

Weird, I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:
numbers wrote:

Weird, I don't think I've ever seen it happen.

It's not common, but it's not unheard of. I remember someone asking to see Julian Tavarez's hat one game, and like I said I know Torre did it one time(I want to say in a playoff game.)

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:22 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yeah every once in a while you'll see a manager ask to have a pitcher's cap or glove inspected to see if there's something there.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:41 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Yeah every once in a while you'll see a manager ask to have a pitcher's cap or glove inspected to see if there's something there.

I remember once when some Sox pitcher (I think it was John Burkett?) was asked by the umpires to turn his pockets inside-out because the other team thought he had something in there. He didn't, and after the inning he walked off the mound, stared into the opponents' dugout, and pretended to pick a foreign object up off the ground.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 12:00 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I remember once when some Sox pitcher (I think it was John Burkett?) was asked by the umpires to turn his pockets inside-out because the other team thought he had something in there. He didn't, and after the inning he walked off the mound, stared into the opponents' dugout, and pretended to pick a foreign object up off the ground.

i remember something like that, was it burkett or rod beck?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 175  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports