The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Boston Red Sox Thread
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:08 pm 
Polluted

MattA75 wrote:
the pressure cooker...

Too soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:13 pm 
AnalLog

Self wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
the pressure cooker...

Too soon.

I realized that as I wrote it, and then I figured I just didn't care...I still can't believe people got as butthurt as they did over that sign last night

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 10:16 pm 
Polluted

MattA75 wrote:
Self wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
the pressure cooker...

Too soon.

I realized that as I wrote it, and then I figured I just didn't care...I still can't believe people got as butthurt as they did over that sign last night

I'm really hard to offend, and I wasn't offended. But, I can kinda sympathize with those that were. The whole "Boston Strong" thing has nothing to do with sports.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 11:08 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
So glad we decided Papelbon wasn't worth 12-13 million a year, but thought John Lackey was worth 18, and Carl Crawford was worth 22...

Me too, bc a closer isn't worth that much.

but paying Bailey and Hanrahan 11.1 million combined makes some sort of sense?
the team's 10 games over .500, i'll take that everyday.

way to avoid the question...
the point is the sox are rid of crawford (your second complaint) and can afford two good pitchers for the price of your binky (papelbon, your first complaint). therefore, they're a better team than they were and are proving it in the standings (for now).

boom roasted.

They signed a guy who is always injured (Bailey) who, SHOCKER, is injured again, after spending most of last year on the DL.

They then traded for a guy with no AL experience to close out games in one of the two biggest markets there is, who has sucked all year and now he's hurt too.

Sounds like the old Harry Sinden "well, two $3 million players are better than one $6 million player" theory...and it's working out about as well for them as it did for ole Harry

they traded for both guys and signed uehara (because they felt they could afford it.

bailey ($4.2M) - 12.1 IP, 14.59 K/9, 1.80 FIP
hanrahan ($7M) - 7.1 IP, 6.14 K/9, 11.20 FIP
uehara ($4.1M) - 13.2 IP, 11.20 K/9, 3.82 FIP

i'd take these 3 guys at $15M over: papelbon ($13M) - 12 IP, 5.25 K/9, 3.18 FIP

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:25 am 
Mind Your Tanners

They can afford to do just about anything they want, Papelbon is a proven closer, which there are VERY few of in MLB. They were looking for a closer for about 15 years before they had Papelbon and will probably be searching for another 15 for the next one.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:40 am 
Mind Your Tanners

lets all just agree that no one ever wants to see Hanrahan again.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 1:16 am 
AnalLog

numbers wrote:
They can afford to do just about anything they want, Papelbon is a proven closer, which there are VERY few of in MLB. They were looking for a closer for about 15 years before they had Papelbon and will probably be searching for another 15 for the next one.

yeah, this

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:56 am 
Rank This Poster

MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:

yeah, this

Casey Janssen isn't really a proven closer, and even if money weren't an issue I would take him over Papelbon every single time. I just want the pitcher who's most likely to get batters out.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 4:36 pm 
AnalLog

philpritchard wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
numbers wrote:

yeah, this

Casey Janssen isn't really a proven closer, and even if money weren't an issue I would take him over Papelbon every single time. I just want the pitcher who's most likely to get batters out.

but closers don't operate in a vacuum which is why intangibles have to come into play...it takes a special kind of guy to close in Boston with the scrutiny of fans and press being what it is, and it takes a REALLY special guy to embrace that job for any length of time. Papelbon did all of that. AND he wasn't a dink, unlike 75% of the roster at the time he left.

And maybe Casey Janssen could do all of that...maybe he couldn't. We'll probably never know and never get to find out. But I KNOW Papelbon could and did.

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 9:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

i'll give you the point about the front office undervaluing their own and overvaluing another team's player, but i stand by the business decision to bet on 3 pitchers rather than 1 (for $2M more).

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:04 pm 
AnalLog

elliseamos wrote:
i'll give you the point about the front office undervaluing their own and overvaluing another team's player, but i stand by the business decision to bet on 3 pitchers rather than 1 (for $2M more).

I'm not against signing Uehara, I would've been for that signing WITH Papelbon...so my argument would be Papelbon/Uehara > Bailey/Hanrahan/Uehara.

Either way, if Bailey can't stay on the field and Hanrahan continues to blow (when he gets back), this team needs at least one more reliever for the late innings, because they're going to kill Uehara before too long here

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 10:21 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

I'm not against signing Uehara, I would've been for that signing WITH Papelbon...so my argument would be Papelbon/Uehara > Bailey/Hanrahan/Uehara.

Either way, if Bailey can't stay on the field and Hanrahan continues to blow (when he gets back), this team needs at least one more reliever for the late innings, because they're going to kill Uehara before too long here
but the point is that they go cheaper than Uehara if they have Pap. so you're equation sucks. i think the starter tonight, webster, should be in the pen where he can hurl 100MPH steamers at folks... like that guy we used to know named Bard, don't forget that mistake.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:40 am 
AnalLog

elliseamos wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:

but the point is that they go cheaper than Uehara if they have Pap. so you're equation sucks. i think the starter tonight, webster, should be in the pen where he can hurl 100MPH steamers at folks... like that guy we used to know named Bard, don't forget that mistake.

my equation doesn't suck, how they spend money sucks :D

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:32 pm 
AnalLog

they need to invest in a medical staff that knows what the hell they're doing

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
they need to invest in a medical staff that knows what the hell they're doing
yeah, seems kinda funny considering the reputation of Boston Hospitals.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:38 am 
Mind Your Tanners

how many injured guys have they acquired in the last few years? It's insane. Gonzasshole, Crawford, Lackey, Hanrahan, that dude they got for Theo, I'm sure there's a couple I've missed too. Not to mention their mis-diagnoses of multiple players injurys, when they though Ellsbury had bruised ribs when he had like 3 broken ribs or something. They said Buchholz had a like back sprain or something when he had a broken vertebrae.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 5:58 am 
Poster of the Year

Yeah it's pretty absurd.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:53 am 
AnalLog

Don't forget Bobby Jenks!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:54 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

MattA75 wrote:
yeah, the bullpen has been horrible since the likes of embree and tomlin left town. maybe they'll make some moves to bring in help rather than continuing the cheap route.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:07 pm 
Poster of the Year

elliseamos wrote:
MattA75 wrote:
yeah, the bullpen has been horrible since the likes of embree and tomlin left town. maybe they'll make some moves to bring in help rather than continuing the cheap route.

one ringy dingy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3484 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 175  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports