The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 73  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Fri July 27, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 20, 2012 4:45 pm
Posts: 3350
--- wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness.

Which teams are you referring to here?

He mentioned the Packers and they seem to be a good example here. Although, an argument can be made that the coach has been more destructive to that team than the GM. I don't often want a coach to get fired, but when I do it's usually Mike McCarthy.

_________________
"I want to see the whole picture--as nearly as I can. I don't want to put on the blinders of 'good and bad,' and limit my vision."-- In Dubious Battle



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Fri July 27, 2018 4:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66450
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
4/5 wrote:
--- wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness.

Which teams are you referring to here?

He mentioned the Packers and they seem to be a good example here. Although, an argument can be made that the coach has been more destructive to that team than the GM. I don't often want a coach to get fired, but when I do it's usually Mike McCarthy.

:lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Fri July 27, 2018 6:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 3165
Orpheus wrote:
The Chargers are the most snakebit team I have ever seen. Every year they lose a ton of guys, which is especially bad now that they actually have a lot of really good players for the first time in a few years. It's brutal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ing-injury

Quote:
Jason Verrett's terrible injury luck struck again. This time before the season even started.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the Los Angeles Chargers cornerback suffered what is believed to be a torn Achilles during his conditioning test that will likely knock him out for the season, according to sources informed of the situation.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Fri July 27, 2018 11:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66450
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
That will only endear the Bolts to the pundits! Cries for a sure Super Bowl victory will be deafening!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Sat July 28, 2018 12:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
Not trying to troll, but how bad will the AFC East be this year?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Sat July 28, 2018 2:39 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 03, 2013 6:49 pm
Posts: 2892
elliseamos wrote:
Not trying to troll, but how bad will the AFC East be this year?



I think the Dolphins May put up a reasonable fight. The Bills should have a good defense that’s likely ruined by an incredibly bad offense and the same may be true of the Jets.

All this as the Patriots have probably improved both lines of scrimmage and added the perfect running back for their system....


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Sun July 29, 2018 5:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
Electromatic wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Not trying to troll, but how bad will the AFC East be this year?



I think the Dolphins May put up a reasonable fight. The Bills should have a good defense that’s likely ruined by an incredibly bad offense and the same may be true of the Jets.

All this as the Patriots have probably improved both lines of scrimmage and added the perfect running back for their system....

That's what I was thinking. That said, the Pats outside-the-division schedule has me worried that they won't have home field advantage come playoff time.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 1:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 3165
--- wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
The Chargers are the most snakebit team I have ever seen. Every year they lose a ton of guys, which is especially bad now that they actually have a lot of really good players for the first time in a few years. It's brutal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ing-injury

Quote:
Jason Verrett's terrible injury luck struck again. This time before the season even started.

NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday that the Los Angeles Chargers cornerback suffered what is believed to be a torn Achilles during his conditioning test that will likely knock him out for the season, according to sources informed of the situation.



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 1:02 am 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 3165
It is truly remarkable how unlucky the Chargers are.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 3:16 am 
Offline
User avatar
Worst Moderator
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 51543
I mean, undrafted tight end isn't exactly the end of the world

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 4:17 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 18320
4/5 wrote:
--- wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness.

Which teams are you referring to here?

He mentioned the Packers and they seem to be a good example here. Although, an argument can be made that the coach has been more destructive to that team than the GM. I don't often want a coach to get fired, but when I do it's usually Mike McCarthy.

Ted Thompson was pretty clear about building through the draft and being more than weary of bringing in FAs. Not sure how McCarthy's to blame there.

Now, if you're talking about firing MM due to his in game mgmt ability, I'm all ears.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 4:26 am 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66450
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I mean, undrafted tight end isn't exactly the end of the world

It is when you're #1 TE is already out for the year, too. Looks like unsigned Antonio Gates to the rescue!


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 1:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5599
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I mean, undrafted tight end isn't exactly the end of the world
It is when you're #1 TE is already out for the year, too. Looks like unsigned Antonio Gates to the rescue!
Rumor has it that the Chargers want him in for training camp, and I would guess that the 38 year old is saying "I'm too old for that shit". Might not be until late August that he signs.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 1:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5599
elliseamos wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Not trying to troll, but how bad will the AFC East be this year?
I think the Dolphins May put up a reasonable fight. The Bills should have a good defense that’s likely ruined by an incredibly bad offense and the same may be true of the Jets.

All this as the Patriots have probably improved both lines of scrimmage and added the perfect running back for their system....

That's what I was thinking. That said, the Pats outside-the-division schedule has me worried that they won't have home field advantage come playoff time.
Shit happens in the NFL but the Steelers seem to be the only team as of now that could be clear contenders for that.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 2:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 66450
Location: The applebees on haggerty.
Green Habit wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I mean, undrafted tight end isn't exactly the end of the world
It is when you're #1 TE is already out for the year, too. Looks like unsigned Antonio Gates to the rescue!
Rumor has it that the Chargers want him in for training camp, and I would guess that the 38 year old is saying "I'm too old for that shit". Might not be until late August that he signs.

Makes sense to me. And really, they owe it to him. They need him more than he needs them right now. Let the man show up at the latest possible minute.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 20, 2012 4:45 pm
Posts: 3350
spike wrote:
4/5 wrote:
--- wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness.

Which teams are you referring to here?

He mentioned the Packers and they seem to be a good example here. Although, an argument can be made that the coach has been more destructive to that team than the GM. I don't often want a coach to get fired, but when I do it's usually Mike McCarthy.

Ted Thompson was pretty clear about building through the draft and being more than weary of bringing in FAs. Not sure how McCarthy's to blame there.

Now, if you're talking about firing MM due to his in game mgmt ability, I'm all ears.

That's what I meant. McCarthy is an awful coach and it's a crime that Aaron Rodgers has been saddled with him all this time.

_________________
"I want to see the whole picture--as nearly as I can. I don't want to put on the blinders of 'good and bad,' and limit my vision."-- In Dubious Battle



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 5:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Thu December 20, 2012 4:45 pm
Posts: 3350
elliseamos wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Not trying to troll, but how bad will the AFC East be this year?



I think the Dolphins May put up a reasonable fight. The Bills should have a good defense that’s likely ruined by an incredibly bad offense and the same may be true of the Jets.

All this as the Patriots have probably improved both lines of scrimmage and added the perfect running back for their system....

That's what I was thinking. That said, the Pats outside-the-division schedule has me worried that they won't have home field advantage come playoff time.

Patriots wins against AFC East teams: over/under 5.5

_________________
"I want to see the whole picture--as nearly as I can. I don't want to put on the blinders of 'good and bad,' and limit my vision."-- In Dubious Battle



Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 7:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 10, 2013 2:19 am
Posts: 4431
Location: SOUTH PORTLAND
4/5 wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
Not trying to troll, but how bad will the AFC East be this year?



I think the Dolphins May put up a reasonable fight. The Bills should have a good defense that’s likely ruined by an incredibly bad offense and the same may be true of the Jets.

All this as the Patriots have probably improved both lines of scrimmage and added the perfect running back for their system....

That's what I was thinking. That said, the Pats outside-the-division schedule has me worried that they won't have home field advantage come playoff time.

Patriots wins against AFC East teams: over/under 5.5

That's the line every year. The last two games of the year against the Bills & Jets could decide it.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 9:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Site Admin
 Profile

Joined: Wed December 12, 2012 10:33 pm
Posts: 5599
I feel like Week 17 should be off the board, because it would be just like Belichick to sit all of his starters when his team's locked into a playoff seed and give a division rival a worse draft position.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Mon July 30, 2018 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Tue February 12, 2013 5:03 pm
Posts: 3165
Green Habit wrote:
I feel like Week 17 should be off the board, because it would be just like Belichick to sit all of his starters when his team's locked into a playoff seed and give a division rival a worse draft position.

he never does this


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1442 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 73  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 24, 2018 5:12 am