The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 136  Next

Who will be in Super Bowl LIII?
Patriots/Rams 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Patriots/Saints 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Chiefs/Rams 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Chiefs/Saints 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 10:19 pm 
Future Drummer

Their plan is the same plan as the 2013 Seahawks and the 2017 Eagles, which I've pointed out repeatedly. It makes more sense to emulate a strategy that actually matches your roster and cap realities than just "let's try to be like the most outlier team of all time," but thats just me.This argument is kind of a yawn at this point. We'll see what happens. They have absolutely built a team that will be in Super Bowl contention this year, and that was their goal.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 10:46 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Orpheus wrote:
Their plan is the same plan as the 2013 Seahawks and the 2017 Eagles, which I've pointed out repeatedly. It makes more sense to emulate a strategy that actually matches your roster and cap realities than just "let's try to be like the most outlier team of all time," but thats just me.This argument is kind of a yawn at this point. We'll see what happens. They have absolutely built a team that will be in Super Bowl contention this year, and that was their goal.

That's fine, I have no problem with them going all in on this season but they already had Cooks on their roster for this coming season and just gave him a huge extension. I'm puzzled by this because I don't think that specific player is good enough to warrant a 1st round pick and a huge contract, and there's a legitimate question about how well he fits this particular offense with Goff.

I'm sure they'll extend Aaron Donald any day now, but it does seem weird that they've thrown around all this money this offseason and haven't paid their best player, a guy who is probably one of the two or three most dominant players in the whole league.

PostPosted: Thu July 19, 2018 10:58 pm 
Future Drummer

To me, if anyone thinks these moves have been made without very clear assurances to Donald that he's getting paid--they're smoking crack. This is not the Jeff Fisher Rams, this is a well-managed and well-coached team now. Sure, they're being aggressive as shit, but aggressive does not equal stupid. They went from a doormat to Coach of the Year, OPOY, DPOY and a playoff spot in a short off-season, with everybody laughing at their moves. People HATED the Robert Woods contract at the time, for example, and he had a fantastic year.

There also continues to be a bit of a misinformation campaign against Cooks. He has been incredibly consistent and productive and is actually younger than Cooper Kupp, which I don't think most people realize. He was a coveted player a few years ago and I'm betting multiple teams offered the Pats picks for him this offseason--not just the Rams. The Rams have $72 million in cap space next year and will have little no dead money connected to their big move acquisitions outside of Cooks. The idea that they are hamstringing themselves with these deals is just really overblown.

PostPosted: Fri July 20, 2018 7:42 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Orpheus wrote:
To me, if anyone thinks these moves have been made without very clear assurances to Donald that he's getting paid--they're smoking crack. This is not the Jeff Fisher Rams, this is a well-managed and well-coached team now. Sure, they're being aggressive as shit, but aggressive does not equal stupid. They went from a doormat to Coach of the Year, OPOY, DPOY and a playoff spot in a short off-season, with everybody laughing at their moves. People HATED the Robert Woods contract at the time, for example, and he had a fantastic year.

There also continues to be a bit of a misinformation campaign against Cooks. He has been incredibly consistent and productive and is actually younger than Cooper Kupp, which I don't think most people realize. He was a coveted player a few years ago and I'm betting multiple teams offered the Pats picks for him this offseason--not just the Rams. The Rams have $72 million in cap space next year and will have little no dead money connected to their big move acquisitions outside of Cooks. The idea that they are hamstringing themselves with these deals is just really overblown.
I can't speak for thodoks, but my reaction is more about how they valued this, albeit consistent, one trick pony. Then there's the very clear priority the organization made by extending Cooks before Donald. It seems like a head scratcher to me.

PostPosted: Sat July 21, 2018 9:50 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This is tricky for me because I WANT to believe in BC. I really do. I love they guy. But he's had two first ballot HoF QB's. What's he gonna show with King Goffrey? I have no idea but I want to believe!

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 3:33 pm 
Site Admin

AFC West talk for Joey: do you feel that the Chiefs are being disrespected by the media right now? I kind of think they are--I get that there's likely going to be a few road bumps with Mahomes, and I'm not fully convinced on him either, but they are loaded in the grand majority of the non-QB positions.

And I'm really getting tired of everyone coronating the Chargers as division champs just because they had a hot end to last season. They could very well win it, but I think all four teams are capable of winning it. I don't hate the Chargers nearly as much as the Raiders but at this point I'm feeling like I really want to see them fall flat on their faces while Denver and KC duke it out for the title. (Raiders still need to suck, though, because fuck the Raiders.)

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 3:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
AFC West talk for Joey: do you feel that the Chiefs are being disrespected by the media right now? I kind of think they are--I get that there's likely going to be a few road bumps with Mahomes, and I'm not fully convinced on him either, but they are loaded in the grand majority of the non-QB positions.

And I'm really getting tired of everyone coronating the Chargers as division champs just because they had a hot end to last season. They could very well win it, but I think all four teams are capable of winning it. I don't hate the Chargers nearly as much as the Raiders but at this point I'm feeling like I really want to see them fall flat on their faces while Denver and KC duke it out for the title. (Raiders still need to suck, though, because fuck the Raiders.)

Largely, yes. The Chiefs have won the division two years running. While their defense isn't what I want it to be, their offense has the potential to be something really special. Mahomes could really go either way. I believe in him and I'm really excited to see what he can do. But he's not going to jump in and be peak Brett Favre immediately. There will be growing pains. And Andy Reid is still Andy Reid (good and bad).

The Broncos biggest issue last season was their QB play. Keenum might not be a world beater but he's a big upgrade on the Broncos fielded last season. I fully expect a winning record and a shot at the division title from them this season.

The Raiders... I mean.... fuck the Raiders.

I'm with you 100% on the Bolts. Why are they all of a sudden Super Bowl favorites? Where the fuck is that coming from? I get they ended hot. But they're still the same team that missed the playoffs. Gordon (who I love) is still a back who hasn't had a 1,000 yard season and has had injury concerns. Allen is electric but ditto injuries. Rivers is still Rivers. They don't have a TE. I don't know. I think they have a lot of solid pieces. Could they compete for the division title? Absolutely but I don't see what others are seeing that gives them some huge advantage right now over the defending AFC West champs. We'll see how it shakes out. The AFC West is usually exciting as hell.

PostPosted: Mon July 23, 2018 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Also, I'm really happy that the Bills beat out the Chargers on tiebreakers for the playoffs last year despite gifting them a win for trotting out the pathetic Nathan Peterman on that one lucky week.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 1:54 pm 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
--- wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
--- wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
--- wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
--- wrote:
4/5 wrote:
How did the Patriots get a 1st for Brandin Cooks? Am I the only person who doesn't get what's so special about this guy?

5 years, $80 million

lol

I was more like:

he might catch 60 passes, though somewhere around 50 is probably a more realistic estimate

the rams gave up a first round pick in order to pay market value to a luxury, and signed him before aaron donald. they are not smart.

that's the biggest shocker to me.

they've made a lot of moves this offseason, but that seemed like the first order of business.

i don't really get their plan, but whatever.

realistically, cooks is, what, their third option on offense?

That would be my guess, I mean last year, Sammy Watkins caught 39 balls (different player, but still comparable in role). Gurley led the team with 64 grabs, Cooper Kupp had 62, and Robert Woods had 56.

goff threw more than 100 fewer passes than brady. cooks had around 115 targets (the most targets a ram WR had was 94) and only caught 65, usually as the first WR option (edelman was out, hogan was hurt half the year). he's a great straight-line player and a solid enough threat in the intermediate, but i was really disappointed with his lack of elusiveness in the short-game (which is goff's strength). there is absolutely no way he'll get 100 targets next year; somewhere around watkins' 70 seems more realistic.

i just don't see much of a fit b/w cooks and the rams, and there is no way he lives up to that contract (not a criticism of the player; huge criticism of management). the way they are allocating $$$ is so bizarre.

Now that we're this far into the conversation, I don't even know what the actual guaranteed money is, has that been put out yet? B/c that could make a difference (slight, but a difference).

3 years, $50.46m guaranteed. $20.3m cap number in 2019, $21.9m cap number in 2020.

LOL

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:10 pm 
Future Drummer

Orpheus wrote:

Facts you don't like does not equal "misinformation".

Cooks is a good player whose weaknesses prevent him from being great, and he will never live up to this contract. Never. Full stop. Teams do not win by overpaying for complementary pieces who provide replaceable production, which is what Cooks is and what he offers. Good for Cooks for getting this kind of bank, but the Rams should know better.

Great guy and teammate, good player with non-trivial limitations, hugely overpaid. I'll be shocked if he catches 60 balls, and won't be surprised at all when the Rams regress this year. The locker room is going to be such a mess.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:12 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

It's weird when people say 'full stop' and then keep going.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:28 pm 
Rank This Poster

It’s just weird to me that they don’t seem to value Aaron Donald. Yes, he’s got that 5th cheap year, yes, they could franchise him later. He’s one of the best players in the NFL who is vastly out playing his deal and you spent the off season bringing in an old CB, a vastly overpaid DT in Suh who has never really brought the impact of his contract, and then instead again of paying your guy at DT you spend 16 million a year, on a guy that is a luxury.

Aaron Donald should be pissed off.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:36 pm 
Future Drummer

Electromatic wrote:
It’s just weird to me that they don’t seem to value Aaron Donald. Yes, he’s got that 5th cheap year, yes, they could franchise him later. He’s one of the best players in the NFL who is vastly out playing his deal and you spent the off season bringing in an old CB, a vastly overpaid DT in Suh who has never really brought the impact of his contract, and then instead again of paying your guy at DT you spend 16 million a year, on a guy that is a luxury.

I think they're intent on using their leverage via the CBA. They can give him 1-year deals as a franchise player for the next few years and there isn't anything he can do about it. It's not the worst short-term cap management strategy, but it seems like a curious way to manage a long-term relationship with probably the best player on your team.

The Rams are my pick for the team most likely to seriously regress this year.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:41 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I've barely paid attention any NFL headlines since the draft. With camps opening this week time for that to change. :hooray:

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 2:41 pm 
Posting (live)
 WWW  Profile

Yeah.. we've seen this before. All-star roster!
Watch out for Miami, folks. Roster cohesion is where it's at.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 5:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

--- wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I think they're intent on using their leverage via the CBA. They can give him 1-year deals as a franchise player for the next few years and there isn't anything he can do about it. It's not the worst short-term cap management strategy, but it seems like a curious way to manage a long-term relationship with probably the best player on your team.

The Rams are my pick for the team most likely to seriously regress this year.

I like Mcvay, but this off season feels like a Washington Redskins off season.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 6:00 pm 
See you in another life, brother

But LeVeon Bell can't get paid...

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 7:32 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

--- wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
I don't even know what the actual guaranteed money is, has that been put out yet? B/c that could make a difference (slight, but a difference).

3 years, $50.46m guaranteed. $20.3m cap number in 2019, $21.9m cap number in 2020.

LOL

That's a lot of money for the role that BC typically fills and I just realized a moment ago that when we last saw him, he'd just gotten knocked out of the super bowl with a concussion. His some-time habit for alligator arms may become more frequent next year if he's worried about his head. Maybe that's what the money is for, letting him play loose because he's got the big guarantee in his back pocket.

I went to spotrac to see what Orpheus was saying about their team payroll for 2019, and as I'm looking over that they're locking up yet another guy ahead of Donald, this time it's Todd Gurley with a new extension where he'll be averaging $15m for the '20-'23 seasons.

TG's new deal doesn't impact next year's cap, but they currently have two OLmen under contract for next year, one of whom is their LT, Whitworth who's 36 entering this year. Then, they only have one DLmen signed for next year, with Donald the only RFA of the bunch. Their secondary will get more expensive because Peters jumps to $8m in 2019 (which is still good value) and Joyner was franchised for this current season so he'll likely need to be north of the $11m he's making for 2018 if he's sticking around.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 8:09 pm 
Future Drummer

elliseamos wrote:
--- wrote:
elliseamos wrote:
I don't even know what the actual guaranteed money is, has that been put out yet? B/c that could make a difference (slight, but a difference).

LOL

That's a lot of money for the role that BC typically fills and I just realized a moment ago that when we last saw him, he'd just gotten knocked out of the super bowl with a concussion. His some-time habit for alligator arms may become more frequent next year if he's worried about his head. Maybe that's what the money is for, letting him play loose because he's got the big guarantee in his back pocket.

I went to spotrac to see what Orpheus was saying about their team payroll for 2019, and as I'm looking over that they're locking up yet another guy ahead of Donald, this time it's Todd Gurley with a new extension where he'll be averaging $15m for the '20-'23 seasons.

TG's new deal doesn't impact next year's cap, but they currently have two OLmen under contract for next year, one of whom is their LT, Whitworth who's 36 entering this year. Then, they only have one DLmen signed for next year, with Donald the only RFA of the bunch. Their secondary will get more expensive because Peters jumps to $8m in 2019 (which is still good value) and Joyner was franchised for this current season so he'll likely need to be north of the $11m he's making for 2018 if he's sticking around.

They will also need to sign Goff after 2019. Given what they're paying Cooks, I can't see him making less than $30m/yr.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 8:14 pm 
Future Drummer

God just the thought of paying a RB $15m/yr...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 136  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports