The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 136  Next

Who will be in Super Bowl LIII?
Patriots/Rams 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Patriots/Saints 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
Chiefs/Rams 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Chiefs/Saints 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13
 Post subject: Re: 2018 NFL Season
PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 9:14 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

--- wrote:
Great guy and teammate, good player with non-trivial limitations, hugely overpaid. I'll be shocked if he catches 60 balls, and won't be surprised at all when the Rams regress this year. The locker room is going to be such a mess.

I'm not even sure the great guy and teammate part is true. There were issues here in New Orleans which brought on the Pats trade. Part of it was Cooks complaining or acting unhappy after a few Saints wins because he had no or very few targets and/or catches.

PostPosted: Tue July 24, 2018 10:13 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Stardog Champion wrote:
--- wrote:
Great guy and teammate, good player with non-trivial limitations, hugely overpaid. I'll be shocked if he catches 60 balls, and won't be surprised at all when the Rams regress this year. The locker room is going to be such a mess.

I'm not even sure the great guy and teammate part is true. There were issues here in New Orleans which brought on the Pats trade. Part of it was Cooks complaining or acting unhappy after a few Saints wins because he had no or very few targets and/or catches.

Didn't a lot of that have to do with Sean Payton, too? That guy picks favorites an buries players he doesn't like, no matter how productive they prove to be.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 3:34 am 

durdencommatyler wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
--- wrote:

Didn't a lot of that have to do with Sean Payton, too? That guy picks favorites an buries players he doesn't like, no matter how productive they prove to be.

Very true. Honestly, there was a lot of things that made the rounds when this trade was going down, and I can't vouch for the veracity of any of it. Just to try to cover some of it:

1. Payton definitely picks his guys. This may have been the reason for the reduced targets, but the emergence of Thomas plays a part here as well. Cooks was looking to get paid (as we just saw), and Payton had his eye on Thomas rather than Cooks.
2. There were rumors that Cooks complained about Brees' arm strength and that he couldn't get the ball downfield. By all accounts, he liked Brees, but even this possible slight is not a good move in a city where Brees is basically god, regardless of the accuracy of the complaint.
3. There was enough going on where people thought some of Thomas' post-trade Twitter moves were intentionally meant to dig at Cooks. However, plenty of his teammates came out to support him when the trade was announced.

Again, this could all just be rumor, but there are quite a few things there. I can't imagine everything was perfect behind the scenes.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 11:55 am 
Rank This Poster

For a receiver to complain about Brees is hilarious. Run a better route guy, Drew Brees can put a ball on a nats ass 30 yards away and not get you killed. He’s perfected the back shoulder throw. If you can’t catch 80 balls on that team the problem is you.

He played with two of the best QBs of his era already.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 12:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

--- wrote:
They will also need to sign Goff after 2019. Given what they're paying Cooks, I can't see him making less than $30m/yr.

Right, so they are taking the Seattle approach... no OLmen and see how it works out.

--- wrote:
God just the thought of paying a RB $15m/yr...

Right, now all of the money is being handed out before he turns 30, but it's still a seemingly strange way to divvy up their cap dollars.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 2:10 pm 

Electromatic wrote:
For a receiver to complain about Brees is hilarious. Run a better route guy, Drew Brees can put a ball on a nats ass 30 yards away and not get you killed. He’s perfected the back shoulder throw. If you can’t catch 80 balls on that team the problem is you.

He played with two of the best QBs of his era already.

Yea, he's complaining about the guy who owns records for most completions in a season and highest career completion percentage. Maybe he can't throw absolute bombs, but he can certainly get you the ball.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 3:00 pm 
Future Drummer

Stardog Champion wrote:
--- wrote:

I have no idea what happened in New Orleans, but he was a consummate professional and teammate in NE. Did what was asked, never complained, never took plays off, got along with everyone. I'm sure Belichick would have kept him at the right price, though that's obviously true of any player.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 3:09 pm 
Future Drummer

it feels good to be arguing about football again

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 4:21 pm 

--- wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
--- wrote:

I have no idea what happened in New Orleans, but he was a consummate professional and teammate in NE. Did what was asked, never complained, never took plays off, got along with everyone. I'm sure Belichick would have kept him at the right price, though that's obviously true of any player.

This doesn't surprise me as Belichick often seems to have little problem with those who may have been disgruntled elsewhere.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 6:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

--- wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
--- wrote:

It was rare, but there were times when he seemed to think the ball wasn't coming his way and slowed his route or wasn't expecting the throw and short-armed his attempted grab.

PostPosted: Wed July 25, 2018 10:15 pm 
Future Drummer

--- wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
--- wrote:

This gets to some of what I was referencing with misinformation, and I thank you for this post. I HATE this thing where a player changes teams and to the team he's going to he's suddenly perfect, and to fans of the team he left he's suddenly shit, and I was getting a little whiff of that when we first started talking about Cooks. It's my least favorite thing about the NFL and sports in general.

This has been a good discussion and illustrates the many ways you can think about the modern NFL. I'd like to point out that I contended the Pats traded Cooks in part to re-up their O-line, which is exactly what they did, netting their OT of the future with the Rams pick.

It's also interesting to consider another team that was even more conservative than New England with their cap and player management over the last decade--Green Bay. If they are a little more aggressive in FA and the trade market, do they have another title? Two more titles? The talent was certainly there, especially on offense, but they were let down by their defense and the rest of their roster more than a few times. Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness. I was reading an article the other day that pointed out that most Super Bowls won over the last two decades are by teams with a QB+Coach combo in their first five years together, and very few are won outside that window. I think McVay is of the same mindset--that the future is now and there's no sense in waiting--and that's what's driving these moves. Could it all blow up in their face? Sure. But this could also be what gets them over the hump. I'm sure as shit interested to watch their games this year.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 12:07 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Orpheus wrote:
--- wrote:
Stardog Champion wrote:
--- wrote:

This gets to some of what I was referencing with misinformation, and I thank you for this post. I HATE this thing where a player changes teams and to the team he's going to he's suddenly perfect, and to fans of the team he left he's suddenly shit, and I was getting a little whiff of that when we first started talking about Cooks. It's my least favorite thing about the NFL and sports in general.

This has been a good discussion and illustrates the many ways you can think about the modern NFL. I'd like to point out that I contended the Pats traded Cooks in part to re-up their O-line, which is exactly what they did, netting their OT of the future with the Rams pick.

It's also interesting to consider another team that was even more conservative than New England with their cap and player management over the last decade--Green Bay. If they are a little more aggressive in FA and the trade market, do they have another title? Two more titles? The talent was certainly there, especially on offense, but they were let down by their defense and the rest of their roster more than a few times. Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness. I was reading an article the other day that pointed out that most Super Bowls won over the last two decades are by teams with a QB+Coach combo in their first five years together, and very few are won outside that window. I think McVay is of the same mindset--that the future is now and there's no sense in waiting--and that's what's driving these moves. Could it all blow up in their face? Sure. But this could also be what gets them over the hump. I'm sure as shit interested to watch their games this year.

There is no doubt that the Rams have improved their team on both sides of the ball for this season and probably 2019. After that, they'll have a shiny new stadium to fill. Hopefully things go better than the 9ers first season in there new stadium.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 1:25 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I love what the Rams have done the past two off seasons. They are easily the favorite in the division now. Cooks is way underrated also.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 1:26 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I like their new slogan, too: "Ram it in"

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 1:35 am 
Future Drummer

96583UP wrote:

James Winston is still on the Bucs, brah.

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 1:36 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Orpheus wrote:
96583UP wrote:

James Winston is still on the Bucs, brah.

Lol. Hoping they cut him soon

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 2:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

Julio Jones is in camp and happy. :hooray:

PostPosted: Thu July 26, 2018 11:52 pm 
Future Drummer

Last year was such a bummer with injuries to major players. I'm already bracing myself but I'm really hoping people actually stay healthy this year.

PostPosted: Fri July 27, 2018 12:36 am 
See you in another life, brother

Orpheus wrote:
Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness.

This is a good point.

PostPosted: Fri July 27, 2018 1:50 pm 
Future Drummer

Orpheus wrote:
Everyone remembers the teams that went big and fucked it up, but we rarely talk about teams that twiddled their thumbs too much and missed out on greatness.

Which teams are you referring to here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2714 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39 ... 136  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports